Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Noob

Heya well atm I'm having troubles with my thumb, its difficult for me to hold plates (I'm a waitress) play my 3DS(gamer) and hold my pen(artist), does anyone have experience with this???? I've had it for a week so far and it only seems to be getting worse, any tips???

Time-traveling Senshi

I had that a couple of times when I spent too much time on Instagram doing constant repetitive movements with my right thumb reporting comment spam and the spam and scam accounts that they linked to last year. It was so bad with the spam on there that in a comment to a general post from the IG HQ on their Instagram feed I told them all the spam on the site nearly screwed up my thumb because I was spending too much time reporting the vast amount of it showing up on the feeds of those I follow with thousands of followers. At any rate, because it got so bad it lead to a slight tingling in my forearm because it stressed out the tendon that helps control the thumb because I was also on the computer a lot also using my thumb during that time. The easiest thing for me was to change how I was using my phone at the time and use my index finger more than my thumb along with switching to my left hand. Now I have smaller hands than most people my age so that played into what caused the issue but it did get better as I adjusted how I did things. I do have the occasional flair up if I use my phone or the computer for too long.

I'd say in your case the easiest adjustments you can make are with the amount of time you're using your DS, as I'm sure the repetitive movements from hitting A and B and moving the little plus directional key are putting added stress on your thumbs, and the pressure you use to hold your pen during the day. If you can get some of those foam cushions to put on your pen that might help reduce the amount of stress you're putting on the thumb from possibly gripping it too hard for long periods. We don't realize just how tight we hold onto things like pens, pencils, sports equipment, and other round cylinder like objects during the day and what the strain does to our hands.

Hope that helps and your thumb gets better.

Dapper Noob

Chibi Halo

Yeah i might have to take a break from my DS but alas i can't switch hands while i draw, I might have some troubles finding a cushion for my pen since it is pretty large (Wacom pen), i will definitely put some conscious effort into gripping things more lightly and have managed to figure out a new way to hold my spoon while i eat (using my 3 middle fingers) teehee. I hear Tendons take a while to heal sad i hope i didn't do any permanent damage. Thank you so much for your help heart I hope that we will both have fully functional thumbs for the future blaugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff