Welcome to Gaia! ::

King Bunny

8,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I know it's a weird request but I am incredibly skinny and I would like to gain weight, preferably in a healthy way. I have a high metabolism to the point I have never gained to an average weight until I was on prednisone for my liver disease.. And everyone with prednisone beefs up. I really liked the extra weight, but of course once I was off of it, it dropped of me, and then some.

I am 20 years old and only weigh 107 pounds @^@' is there anything I should be eating or routines I should be doing to help gain weight? I bought some protein shakes for weight gain but they taste like wheaty a**. Is it alright to mix that stuff with regular milk?
Also no medications please I have a weak liver and I'm not sure what I am and am not allowed to take!! @v@;;;
Have you tried strength training to gain muscle?

King Bunny

8,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conversationalist 100
SPAstronaut
Have you tried strength training to gain muscle?

I am suspected to have marfan syndrome so I am not supposed to so heavy weight training. If you mean repetitive muscle building like push ups and the works, I have. I got abs and leg muscles from ballet, but aside from that, no weight gain
I'd recommend foods that are both nutritious and calorie dense. Nuts, avocados, olive oil, cheese, and whole milk are good examples. You can eat a surprisingly high number of calories of nuts before you get full, so it's a good way to raise your calorie intake a bit. Even dark chocolate has some good stuff in it without having too much sugar. I don't know if you have allergies, or if you've tried stuff like this in the past without success, but with my limited knowledge, that's what I'd recommend.

Newbie Noob

Shepp x
I know it's a weird request but I am incredibly skinny

This is kind of towards bodybuilding, rather than general weight gain, but it's got some good stuff in there:
Reddit's Gain it

King Bunny

8,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conversationalist 100
Tiffany0White
Dude, high metabolism is just an excuse, you gotta eat more! don't just put on weight, also build mass! Start lifting weights, use mass gainers, eat 6 meals a day! Breakfast, brunch, lunch, something after lunch, dinner and something after dinner! Controls your diet! Set a routine! And you'll start seeing results smile

check out this video, it'll tell you "How Many Calories to Gain Muscle or Lose Weight?"

http://tinyurl.com/k8ev4ur

I know ;_; my doctor said people who gain weight start off by doubling their calorie intake and I thought I ate like a monster but when I look back I don't have a big appetite. My liver is partial blame for that, but luckilly it's gotten better. On prednisone there wasn't a moment where I wasn't eating so I figure if it's possible for me to gain, just try to imitate my eating habits from when I was on the medication.
Mass gainer? ovo
holy cow that's a lot ovo;;; what if I work a lot? I usually work weird shifts and it goes from early day to late afternoon. Do I just make up for it when I get back home?

ooh, thank you for the link!!!

King Bunny

8,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conversationalist 100
Anonymous Penguin
I'd recommend foods that are both nutritious and calorie dense. Nuts, avocados, olive oil, cheese, and whole milk are good examples. You can eat a surprisingly high number of calories of nuts before you get full, so it's a good way to raise your calorie intake a bit. Even dark chocolate has some good stuff in it without having too much sugar. I don't know if you have allergies, or if you've tried stuff like this in the past without success, but with my limited knowledge, that's what I'd recommend.

very good idea! I'm not a big an of nuts, but I'll look into other high calorie things that I can eat a lot of before getting full ;v; thank you!!
I hate to break it to you but people with a high metabloism have a harder time gaining period. If you really want to gain weight you need to eat a ton of food all the time. Every meal you should be stuffed. It is very difficult to do a clean gain. You just have to tough it out.
Are you scheduled in for tests to diagnose for Marfan Syndrome?

Depending on: a) whether or not you actually have the disorder, and b) how severe your symptoms are, you might be able to lift weights. I know of a competitive power lifter who takes a series of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and beta blockers to control his condition.

You should increase your calorie intake carefully in case you put on excess fat. My recommendation is to get your tests booked in ASAP and then consult with a physician who can best advise you on how to approach a physical training program.

King Bunny

8,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conversationalist 100
Jake_Cardigan
Are you scheduled in for tests to diagnose for Marfan Syndrome?

Depending on: a) whether or not you actually have the disorder, and b) how severe your symptoms are, you might be able to lift weights. I know of a competitive power lifter who takes a series of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and beta blockers to control his condition.

You should increase your calorie intake carefully in case you put on excess fat. My recommendation is to get your tests booked in ASAP and then consult with a physician who can best advise you on how to approach a physical training program.

No, they just told me to get my heart checked every year to make sure?? Idk. I originally went to a rheumatologist about my liver (before we found out what was going on) and he just noticed I'm very flexible. The only symptoms I have is long limbed, skinny, and flexible. I am only 5'5" and for most cases in marfan's that's nothing. Also, a lot of people link marfan's to mental conditions, which I don't have (and marfan's isn't in my family). So I'm pretty sure I'm just a limber person. They made me get a heart ultrasound in case and my heart is normal (marfans usually has enlarged heart valves??) but yeah.

Good idea. I'll definitely look into it!

King Bunny

8,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Conversationalist 100
XenoReiji
I hate to break it to you but people with a high metabloism have a harder time gaining period. If you really want to gain weight you need to eat a ton of food all the time. Every meal you should be stuffed. It is very difficult to do a clean gain. You just have to tough it out.

very true. ;;
Eat more frequently. When you're underweight, you may feel full faster.
Choose nutrient-rich foods.
Try smoothies and shakes.
Make every bite count.
Have an occasional treat.
Exercise.

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25
My boyfriend has Marfan's. He had to drink a ton of ensure after his lung collapse (not directly related to Marfan's but at risk if tall and skinny)

he said it tasted like chalky a** but it worked. He also does weight training. talk to your doc and see if you can lift.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff