Welcome to Gaia! ::

Amateur Angel

17,950 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
So, I'm mostly a runner, I run 20-30 mins daily (which is about to go up, since I seem to be plateauing), and I have slimmed down quite a bit, and my calves are very toned and muscular.
In the last 6 months, I've lost close to 50 lbs, but it seems like my thighs haven't shrunk a bit.

I also do 20reps of squats/crunches/pushups at various points in the day- usually once an hour when I'm on the computer.

I am a vegetarian, and a fairly healthy eater, I also take a multivitamin and a b-12 vitamin every day.

Any helpful hints? Its getting to the point where finding pants is becoming a real headache because anything that fits my thighs is about two sizes too big in the waist. gonk

Mega Duck

12,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Timid 100
squats are going to work your legs, and since you seems to be wanting to lose mass in that area, i suggest sticking with other exercises.

since your legs carry all of your weight while walking, standing and other daily tasks, they gain muscle mass. since you've said you've lost about 50 pounds in the last 6 months, you were having to carry a lot more weight, causing your leg muscles to bulk up. now that you are more slim, it may not look natural, but it's how your body is.

i say if anyone comments on your muscular legs, just say you dance or something. idk. why do they care.

i think it adds more curves, and as long as you are fit and healthy, you have nothing to worry about
Look into various isometric exercises.
When you understand what they are, when you do them, start out at say, 30 to 50 seconds.
Twice a week, two days apart, and increase the static holds by only 5 seconds at a time, each week.

A lot of your body proportion has changed, and the composition of it, too. You're more muscular in the thighs than you think you are! You can focus on isometrics for a little while to help build slow twitch muscle fibers, which don't increase size, but will do a lot of toneing-and eats lots of calories. ^_^

(( I've held a 165 second plank several times. ))
Try adding weighted deadlifts, squats, and lunges into your routine. Fitness Blender has some good workouts focusing on legs that you can try. If you don't own weights, I recommend checking out Blogilates .Also, in regards to your running, instead of upping the amount of time I suggest you try increasing the intensity. I have never met anyone who regrets switching to HIIT for cardio, so you should definitely give it a go. Good luck!

Amateur Angel

17,950 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Avelyn White
Try adding weighted deadlifts, squats, and lunges into your routine. Fitness Blender has some good workouts focusing on legs that you can try. If you don't own weights, I recommend checking out Blogilates .Also, in regards to your running, instead of upping the amount of time I suggest you try increasing the intensity. I have never met anyone who regrets switching to HIIT for cardio, so you should definitely give it a go. Good luck!
ooo, I've never seen the fitness blender site before, this is neat, thanks!

As for time, I'm trying to build endurance for longer races, I was told that time would help more.

Ghaudly- I'll look into isometrics too. thanks for the advice. 3nodding

I just want my thighs to stop rubbing together when I walk.
Naxx is srs bizness
Avelyn White

As for time, I'm trying to build endurance for longer races, I was told that time would help more.

When I started losing weight a couple years ago my thighs were the last place I lost from too, so I can relate. You have to lose overall fat percent, and despite what people might tell you, building leg muscle wont make you bulky. It wasn't until I started focusing on strengthening my legs that I really saw the difference. Muscle is denser than fat, and the more of it you have the more calories you will burn at rest. More calories burned leads to lower body fat percent which will ultimately give you slimmer body (including legs!). Besides, you need muscle to have a nice toned and tight body. Even skinny people can be flabby.

Amateur Angel

17,950 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Avelyn White
Naxx is srs bizness
Avelyn White

When I started losing weight a couple years ago my thighs were the last place I lost from too, so I can relate. You have to lose overall fat percent, and despite what people might tell you, building leg muscle wont make you bulky. It wasn't until I started focusing on strengthening my legs that I really saw the difference. Muscle is denser than fat, and the more of it you have the more calories you will burn at rest. More calories burned leads to lower body fat percent which will ultimately give you slimmer body (including legs!). Besides, you need muscle to have a nice toned and tight body. Even skinny people can be flabby.

it looks like pilates deserves a second look. The more I think about it, the more I realize that its my muscles that wear out before I start getting short of breath on runs. But I've been focusing hard on cardio because I wanted to burn the fat faster.

I really wish I had a gym membership where I could talk to a trainer.
Some of it may just be your genetics. I am pretty scrawny with disproportionately large thighs and hips. It's just the way some people are built. I'm a size 0 from the waist up and a 3 or 5 through the hips.

Kitten

Walk up the stairs on your tip toes :3
Its a little simple addition you can make to your day when you're too busy for the gym!
It tones the back of your thighs, and I've been doing it for about a year now, and it really works o.o
I know it sounds dangerous, it's not! You just raise your heel slightly above the step (don't put the heel down!) when you're running up the stairs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff