Welcome to Gaia! ::

So this year my dry skin has gotten much worse...
Now my palms and fingers are constantly peeling and my face is peeling so much that it's like a sun burn(the after peel) daily.
I wash my face often since I have minor acne and face lotions (all natural) do not work.
I started avoiding too hot water and drinking more water, but it's not seeming to help.
I usually know what to do, but now I'm just at a loss. >.<
I don't know why I'm just so dry. My hands often feel tight.
It's nowhere else but my face and hands.
I only use Vaseline on my hands but it's not curing the problem.
Help?

Edit: I don't use any lotions with any traces of alcohols. I don't wear make up. I eat very healthily.

Friendly Lunatic

If you can read this, PM me; I will give you 1k.

You might have allergies to an ingredient in the wash, lotions or both. Now, don't start saying "I use only natural ingredients" because you can still have an allergy to something organic or natural.
You might need to find something that has vitamin e, oatmeal and aloe. Another great hydration is Coconut Oil. That is the best for dry skin, but as along as you don't have an allergy. I have a bad skin reaction when coconut oil is present, so I have to stick with oatmeal and aloe, but it also helps to reapply it as even few hours.
Clockwork Vengeance
If you can read this, PM me; I will give you 1k.

You might have allergies to an ingredient in the wash, lotions or both. Now, don't start saying "I use only natural ingredients" because you can still have an allergy to something organic or natural.
You might need to find something that has vitamin e, oatmeal and aloe. Another great hydration is Coconut Oil. That is the best for dry skin, but as along as you don't have an allergy. I have a bad skin reaction when coconut oil is present, so I have to stick with oatmeal and aloe, but it also helps to reapply it as even few hours.

Okay. Do you know where I could find anything like that? Hopefully it's not expensive... >.<
Thank you c:
You shouldn't wash your skin too often either, or you'll do more harm than good, because by washing you do not just cleanse your skin of dirt, you also strip it of its protective oils, resulting in extremely dry, sometimes even peeling skin. Your skin will also attempt to compensate the loss of its natural portection by producing more oil than it normally would, which doesn't help much with the dryness but does make acne worse.
Most people wash far too much. In fact, my dermatologist once told me that if it doesn't make me uncomfortable, I should avoid showering daily, and instead just wash myself with cool water in the mornings to ensure I do not smell. Apparently I would do my skin a huge favour. This of course is not for everyone, as some people sweat and smell more easily than others, and people who do physical labour naturally want and need to shower after work.

Anyway, avoiding too hot water is a good start and when you shower, you should also do it quickly, as in wash and get out.
That it's primarily your face and hands is probably due to the fact that like everyone else you wash your face and hands much more often than the rest of your body. Your hands come into contact with water everytime you wash your face in addition to the times you just need to wash them afterall.

Shameless Noob

5,250 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I'm hedging a bet here, because age is often an issue (teens and early 20's are a trouble zone for skin problems).

If you're anything like me, and by the sounds of it you very well might be, it won't get a lot better until you're past the 19 year old mark. But I'll let you in on what worked for me.

First, even "natural" makeup and soap/lotion isn't natural. It's all processed chemically and manipulated, so take a close look at the ingredients on the back instead of what's said on the front. The only face-wash/lotion I ever let touch my skin is Cetaphil. It's about $5 a bottle, one bottle lasts me (I kid you not) nearly 2 years. I wash morning and night.

I do wear makeup, but I do not use makeup remover at night simply because it strips my skin so badly and the Cetaphil does wash it off. I do not use toner whatsoever (same problem, alcohol/hazel/whatever is just horrid on my skin). Avoid face-mask treatments as well, they'll do your skin more harm than good.

Be sure to drink a lot of water and juice, and limit caffeine and pop beverages.

The skin on your face and hands are the thinnest on your body, and the most sensitive. I'm allergic to... everything... it seems, on those places (can't wear any kind of metal jewelry except sterling silver, etc...). So be sure to be nice to it, give it time to heal when you get breakouts or burns, and be sure to use sunscreen whenever you go out in the sun. I have to use spf 40 or higher (because I burn in 5 minutes flat), but your skin may be different.
Nineath
You shouldn't wash your skin too often either, or you'll do more harm than good, because by washing you do not just cleanse your skin of dirt, you also strip it of its protective oils, resulting in extremely dry, sometimes even peeling skin. Your skin will also attempt to compensate the loss of its natural portection by producing more oil than it normally would, which doesn't help much with the dryness but does make acne worse.
Most people wash far too much. In fact, my dermatologist once told me that if it doesn't make me uncomfortable, I should avoid showering daily, and instead just wash myself with cool water in the mornings to ensure I do not smell. Apparently I would do my skin a huge favour. This of course is not for everyone, as some people sweat and smell more easily than others, and people who do physical labour naturally want and need to shower after work.

Anyway, avoiding too hot water is a good start and when you shower, you should also do it quickly, as in wash and get out.
That it's primarily your face and hands is probably due to the fact that like everyone else you wash your face and hands much more often than the rest of your body. Your hands come into contact with water everytime you wash your face in addition to the times you just need to wash them afterall.

That makes sense. Thank you(: I shower every other day because of that too. It helps sometimes.
Tiavin
I'm hedging a bet here, because age is often an issue (teens and early 20's are a trouble zone for skin problems).

If you're anything like me, and by the sounds of it you very well might be, it won't get a lot better until you're past the 19 year old mark. But I'll let you in on what worked for me.

First, even "natural" makeup and soap/lotion isn't natural. It's all processed chemically and manipulated, so take a close look at the ingredients on the back instead of what's said on the front. The only face-wash/lotion I ever let touch my skin is Cetaphil. It's about $5 a bottle, one bottle lasts me (I kid you not) nearly 2 years. I wash morning and night.

I do wear makeup, but I do not use makeup remover at night simply because it strips my skin so badly and the Cetaphil does wash it off. I do not use toner whatsoever (same problem, alcohol/hazel/whatever is just horrid on my skin). Avoid face-mask treatments as well, they'll do your skin more harm than good.

Be sure to drink a lot of water and juice, and limit caffeine and pop beverages.

The skin on your face and hands are the thinnest on your body, and the most sensitive. I'm allergic to... everything... it seems, on those places (can't wear any kind of metal jewelry except sterling silver, etc...). So be sure to be nice to it, give it time to heal when you get breakouts or burns, and be sure to use sunscreen whenever you go out in the sun. I have to use spf 40 or higher (because I burn in 5 minutes flat), but your skin may be different.

Yeah we're pretty similar. O.o
And I am very accustomed to looking at ingredients and such. I don't trust labels either.
I don't drink soda, but I do drink coffee sometimes and a lot of uncaffeinated tea.
Ill look into the cetaphil c: I also learned to use sunscreens when exposed to uv for longer than 30min. (It's a seaweed based face sunscreen and anti-exfoliator. I don't use the scrubs though, because I knew about the taking the skin off makes it more flakey as it heals)
Thank you so much!!!

Shameless Noob

5,250 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
No problem. I tried the face-scrub thing too and exfoliators when I was younger... they make it worse...

Honestly, it's the most frustrating thing ever, but when it gets flaky you just need to be patient and let it heal. But the cetaphil soap doesn't strip anything from your skin (you'll see when you try it). A lot of people feel like it doesn't "clean" your skin because you don't get that raw feeling after you use it, but when you're like us you don't want that raw feeling. And I promise, your skin will be clean. Just use a little penny-sized drop and it will last. The lotion is epic though, I only ever had to use a little dallop of it (morning and night) and it gets rid of the flakiness instantly (and lasts all day).

Of course if I miss a day or whatever, the flaky and acne come back within 24 hours. -.-

I'm 25 now, been using Cetaphil for about 6 years and I'll never go back. smile I hope it works for you too!
Tiavin
No problem. I tried the face-scrub thing too and exfoliators when I was younger... they make it worse...

Honestly, it's the most frustrating thing ever, but when it gets flaky you just need to be patient and let it heal. But the cetaphil soap doesn't strip anything from your skin (you'll see when you try it). A lot of people feel like it doesn't "clean" your skin because you don't get that raw feeling after you use it, but when you're like us you don't want that raw feeling. And I promise, your skin will be clean. Just use a little penny-sized drop and it will last. The lotion is epic though, I only ever had to use a little dallop of it (morning and night) and it gets rid of the flakiness instantly (and lasts all day).

Of course if I miss a day or whatever, the flaky and acne come back within 24 hours. -.-

I'm 25 now, been using Cetaphil for about 6 years and I'll never go back. smile I hope it works for you too!

Awesome!! Ill definitely invest in some and see if it works. (: thank you so much!!

Shameless Noob

5,250 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
smile heart
No problemo!

Fashionable Phantom

I had eczema in the same place for years.
It wasn't until I cut all grains out of my diet that it went away.

You could be eating healthy but still have a food sensitivity to something you're eating.
Try doing gluten free for a couple months (no cheating or it doesn't work) and see if that helps?

Honestly the list for causes of peeling skin can go on forever, I've seen half a dozen recommendations already. You may just need to go to a doctor to get a steroid treatment like betamethasone or something.
Did you switch your soap? Your face and hands are the most common places that are frequently washed. If you're using the wrong soap, your skin could be reacting badly to it. You could also be washing your hands and face too much. You could be making them both drier, and washing your face too often when you have acne could actually make it worse. I find that Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Cream works really well on my hands, but you could also heat oil (i.e. olive oil or coconut oil) and apply it and put gloves on overnight. For your face, like I said, try not to wash it too often, and keep it moisturized with non comedogenic moisturizers (won't clog your pores). Also, it's probably best to stay away from Vaseline and other petroleum products.
FaceThatMeows
I had eczema in the same place for years.
It wasn't until I cut all grains out of my diet that it went away.

You could be eating healthy but still have a food sensitivity to something you're eating.
Try doing gluten free for a couple months (no cheating or it doesn't work) and see if that helps?

Honestly the list for causes of peeling skin can go on forever, I've seen half a dozen recommendations already. You may just need to go to a doctor to get a steroid treatment like betamethasone or something.

I always avoid medication, no matter what. I don't even get vaccinations.
I like doing things naturally like with changing my diet, or if I have to, using topical chemicals.
I do eat a lot of grains so ill try to do gluten free (: my little sister is allergic to corn and gluten so ill eat what she eats. It's just more expensive to buy gluten free >.< nonetheless, ill cut out bread. Thank you c:
Raeri-Chan
Did you switch your soap? Your face and hands are the most common places that are frequently washed. If you're using the wrong soap, your skin could be reacting badly to it. You could also be washing your hands and face too much. You could be making them both drier, and washing your face too often when you have acne could actually make it worse. I find that Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Cream works really well on my hands, but you could also heat oil (i.e. olive oil or coconut oil) and apply it and put gloves on overnight. For your face, like I said, try not to wash it too often, and keep it moisturized with non comedogenic moisturizers (won't clog your pores). Also, it's probably best to stay away from Vaseline and other petroleum products.

Ok ill keep this in mind. (: I just wash my hands as much as I need to to avoid too many germs, and I wash my face every other day. I use the soap my mothers doctor suggested that is best for sensitive skin, which is dove(but I don't use soaps on my face, it robs it of the oils).
I started using gloves in a bottle, which is really helping my hands.(my mom doesn't want to buy anything or go out of her way for something she sees as a very minor issue, so I'm on my own)
Thank you!!
Hobbitsez
Raeri-Chan

Ok ill keep this in mind. (: I just wash my hands as much as I need to to avoid too many germs, and I wash my face every other day. I use the soap my mothers doctor suggested that is best for sensitive skin, which is dove(but I don't use soaps on my face, it robs it of the oils).
I started using gloves in a bottle, which is really helping my hands.(my mom doesn't want to buy anything or go out of her way for something she sees as a very minor issue, so I'm on my own)
Thank you!!

Awww, I'm sorry! Dry hands can actually be quite painful, so I'm sorry that your mom sees it as a very minor issue. I know for years it makes me self conscious and it can be really painful. Good luck, though!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff