Welcome to Gaia! ::

See...I don't believe that we found a gene that says someone is at higher risk for cancer than another. That would take a ton of evidence for me to trust. Correlation and causation are two different yet very mistaken ideas.

Wheezing Fatcat

And you would be right to believe that. BRCA doesn't place someone at higher risk for cancer than someone else. It places them at higher risk for certain types of cancer (breast and ovarian) than someone else. There are hundreds of types of cancers; we don't know what causes all of them yet. It's like saying that having a third 21st chromosome causes genetic disorders. It doesn't; it causes one genetic disorder: Down Syndrome.

And the BRCA gene does exist. In fact, Myriad Genetics, Inc., is currently attempting to have it patented. It's been in the news recently, if you've been following it at all. Here is some information on the BRCA1 gene from the NIH, including the gene's location in the chromosomal map (which is fully observable, by the way) and links to outside resources. Here is some information on Myriad and gene patenting. And here is a news update on the patent.

But hey, if you're a conspiracy theorist, you're a conspiracy theorist, and your fears are always going to outweigh what I say, so it matters very little.

You're not wrong for wanting to eat healthy and avoid carcinogens as much as possible, of course. Those will help you in the long run, either way.
CrisPyDude3Fiera3
LOL I never claimed to be an expert. I'm just saying I'm not some kid fresh outta highschool.

Irrelevant. You could be 90 and still be uneducated. Do you have any relevant education on the subject?

Quote:
What genetic component?

Depends on the cancer. Cancer is not one disease; it is a spectrum of diseases. There is literally too much information on the genetic components of various cancers for me to walk you through them all.

So instead:

SLAM!

BAM!

WHAM!

CrisPyDude3Fiera3
How does HPV cause cervical cancer?
I admit, I've heard all these theories, but I am a physics enthusiast and love to know how things work

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
We thought the world was flat for a hell of a long time.

What's "a long time?"

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that this
CrisPyDude3Fiera3
2. Our DNA is made of sequences of amino acids. We obtain these amino acids by taking in and breaking down proteins. If the body doesn't have the correct building blocks to replicate the DNA, it will use whatever it can to continue the process.

is crap. DNA synthesis does not work that way.

Wheezing Fatcat

Mooby the Golden Sock

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that this
CrisPyDude3Fiera3
2. Our DNA is made of sequences of amino acids. We obtain these amino acids by taking in and breaking down proteins. If the body doesn't have the correct building blocks to replicate the DNA, it will use whatever it can to continue the process.

is crap. DNA synthesis does not work that way.

Hah, I never even noticed that point. Oh jeez. Someone needs to see the DNA synthesis videos with bad music and funny sound effects shown in nearly every high school biology course.

Also, OP, what were you trying to say here?
Quote:
We thought the world was flat for a hell of a long time.

To be open to new ideas? Behold: we have presented you with genes that increase susceptibility to the growth of cancers and viruses which do the same. Embrace the modernity?

Seeker

CrisPyDude3Fiera3
Have you ever pondered upon society in America? Did you ever sit and question social norms and challenge authority?

When someone has a cold, what is the first thing everyone tells you to do?

Take some medicine right?

Your body doesn't need cold medicine to heal.

It needs rest and good nutrition to fight off the infection itself.

We live in a society that sells products that cover up symptoms rather than solve the problem.

I believe the same concept is occurring with "cancer."

Think about how we deal with it today.

We are basically blowing our nose and taking cold medicine......but that won't make the cold go away........will it?

Cancer is a symptom!

After living for 24 years and going to a University for 7 years, I've come to the conclusion that cancer is caused by two things:

1. Sometimes, our body takes in too many unrecognizable objects too quickly. These are called carcinogens.

That is part of why some smokers get cancer and some don't.

This is why people are talking so much about processed foods.

The more you process and even cook foods, the less nutrition there is. Even steaming vegetables takes away a good amount of nutrients. By cooking food, you denature the nutrients, which makes them useless or in some cases harmful.

To prevent cancer in today's society, all we have to do is:

1. Moderate the carcinogen intake.

2. Eat a large variety of foods. (quality vs quantity)

And as for those who think cancer is hereditary:

I don't believe it. I believe it is linked to the culture of the family. Certain cultures eat certain foods. Perhaps they may be lacking in their diet.

There's actually a rather compelling documentary I watched recently on precisely this subject.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff