Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maynard is god

yes 1 100.0% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 10 ]
< 1 2 3 4

Humans =/= Bomb Calorimeters

Our metabolic processes are hormonal.

So no, as stated multiple times before, the strict CI/CO model does not work, especially because, at least in my personal experience and (obviously biased) opinion people are looking to lose fat, not necessarily weight, in the most basic sense. Also, the people looking to "gain weight", who really just want muscular hypertrophy.

However, and this has already been said as well (so perhaps I'm only going to fail in my attempts at elucidation) in the strictest sense, a "Calorie In" is a unit of energy that the body is able to process, and a "Calorie out" is a unit of energy that the body has used for some metabolic process. Ergo, by its very nature, the CI/CO model works.

The problem is, again, that the current models used do not accurately depict this. They either fail to accurately count calories taken in and processed, or they fail to accurately measure an individuals metabolic activity. Or likely both. Both of these processes are highly individual, not fully understood, and just confusing as all get out.

So no, using given nutritional info for foods without proper weighing combined with online calculators for metabolic activity (to include BMR, TDEE, calories burned for unit of time for a given exercise) will not be very effective.

This is simplified, as much as I hope is necessary while still getting the point across. We all generally seem to agree here.

Nobody is saying the CI/CO model works in the traditional "fitness guru" sense, those guys never do either, really. Even after emphatically saying that CI/CO is all that matters, they will still often give general guidelines as far as macro ratios go (i.e. "eat more lean protein/get lots of veggies/only eat whole grains/or whatever), nobody ever leaves it at that and just lets their clients eat a caloric deficit of nothing but Doritos or little debbie snack cakes.

As far as actual diet recommendations, it seems beyond the scope of this thread, and everyone already seems fairly well-informed with their own opinion. In light of not seeing anything completely outlandish to me, I will end my fairly long-winded diatribe here.
User Image Well, so far, my experience with fat loss is that caloric deficit does work, and its the only thing that works- along with skipping dinners. If nothing else, it helps me keep better track of what I eat. I've tried just eating healthy and I fall off the tracks way too easily and I'll delude myself into: 'taco bell burritos have beans, so it must be healthy'.
I do eat healthy, its not as though I eat 1200 calories of crap a day. I try to make sure I'm getting fruits and vegetables, a long with my protein and complex carbs… though I know I could do better, if I had more money, but I try to go simple and cheap.
But another thing that does work for is skipping dinner, so far, that has not failed me, the only time I've plateaued when when I do have dinners.
Granted, weight loss =/= healthy, but my problem isn't my health. Genetically, I'm a very healthy person, its takes a lot to get my blood pressure up above normal, even when I was obese, I just below pre-diabetic- the doctor didn't even have to bother with cholesterol. I hardly ever get sick, and when I do, I usually either mistaken it for the weather messing with my sinuses, or the cold is gone before it even started. The only reason I get tired easily is because I'm not as physical as I could be and I tend to mess with my sleep schedule.
So… my only issue is my obesity, and with that, I'll be counting my calories and leaving dinner out, so I can deal with the issue.
Iago McDohl
Humans =/= Bomb Calorimeters

Our metabolic processes are hormonal.

So no, as stated multiple times before, the strict CI/CO model does not work, especially because, at least in my personal experience and (obviously biased) opinion people are looking to lose fat, not necessarily weight, in the most basic sense. Also, the people looking to "gain weight", who really just want muscular hypertrophy.

However, and this has already been said as well (so perhaps I'm only going to fail in my attempts at elucidation) in the strictest sense, a "Calorie In" is a unit of energy that the body is able to process, and a "Calorie out" is a unit of energy that the body has used for some metabolic process. Ergo, by its very nature, the CI/CO model works.

The problem is, again, that the current models used do not accurately depict this. They either fail to accurately count calories taken in and processed, or they fail to accurately measure an individuals metabolic activity. Or likely both. Both of these processes are highly individual, not fully understood, and just confusing as all get out.

So no, using given nutritional info for foods without proper weighing combined with online calculators for metabolic activity (to include BMR, TDEE, calories burned for unit of time for a given exercise) will not be very effective.

This is simplified, as much as I hope is necessary while still getting the point across. We all generally seem to agree here.

Nobody is saying the CI/CO model works in the traditional "fitness guru" sense, those guys never do either, really. Even after emphatically saying that CI/CO is all that matters, they will still often give general guidelines as far as macro ratios go (i.e. "eat more lean protein/get lots of veggies/only eat whole grains/or whatever), nobody ever leaves it at that and just lets their clients eat a caloric deficit of nothing but Doritos or little debbie snack cakes.

As far as actual diet recommendations, it seems beyond the scope of this thread, and everyone already seems fairly well-informed with their own opinion. In light of not seeing anything completely outlandish to me, I will end my fairly long-winded diatribe here.

This is what I already said
Renh0lder
Persephone_xx
I don't understand calorie counting. If you are eating HEALTHY, small portioned meals then you will lose weight. I really don't think you need to limit yourself to 1300 calories a day in order to see a difference. Also it's super important to eat foods in their most basic forms possible and not give in to those "low fat" microwavable meals and over-processed bottled apple juice.

See some people don't believe in the 6 small meals a day thing. There are studies that show that "grazing" through out the day actually causes people to be hungrier. Our bodies don't recognize if you we get our calories from 6 meals or 1 meal through out the day, so it has been proven that, the small meal a day thing doesn't matter.

The small meal thing is made to help rev up your metabolism. It isn't about the calorie intake at all.
Think of your metabolism as a fire. If you stop feeding the fire, it goes out. When they say eat small meals a day it means to be a guide line to keep feeding your metabolism. When your metabolism starts getting use to all of those amazingly healthy foods you are putting into it, it will start burning that off naturally and that is what makes you even more hungry. Your body is needing those calories t keep it going. That's why you are suppose to eat when you are hungry.
I do not understand this whole argument between everyone on this thread. If you want to lose weight you eat healthy, exercise, and watch your portion control.

Everyone has their own personal opinion on how to lose weight and everyone's body is different. Everyone must learn by trail and error and learn how their body works!

Losing weight is a life long commitment and everyone has their ways. What works for you, might not work for others. You have to take in lifestyle and the person in general.

What works for me is to count calories, but have a different amount every day. Light to moderate exercise with strength training. Simple meals is what I eat. I eat dairy, encluding cheese and the whole egg, vegetables, some fruit and nuts, and try to eat learn meats (money is short).

That helps me keep feeling better and I try get green tea in everything. Simple things make the difference with everyone, but like I stated before everyone is different.

Fire 0ak's Princess

Timid Cupcake

21,200 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
Yep I see my rail thin coworkers eating a ton of fast food for lunch and I sometime just have to wonder WTF?

Maybe they just naturally binge and starve. Also they could be really sick. My little sister dropped more than a hundred pounds in a year or so while eating pure crap. Like a package of those cheap bar-s hotdogs for a snack. Anyway turns out she was diabetic and that's why, to this day she diets by skipping her meds which is really dangerous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff