Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Friend

I have been suffering from depression since I was young. I started taking anti-depressants at 18, and at nearly 24 I decided to stop taking the medication and want to wrestle my life back. I want to get confident and stop my anxieties from crippling me.

There are so many books to choose from, and I want to know what books people have found to have helped them. Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
Active Treatment of Depression
The Feeling Good Handbook
What Doctors Won’t Tell You About Today’s Most Controversial Drug
Undoing Depression
Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression
A Long Way Down
There's a podcast on iTunes called "Dishing up Nutrition" and they tell are a group of registered dieticians, and they tell you what foods to eat to help improve depression and anxiety.

Dedicated Friend

Thanks for the suggestions so far smile

ShakeZor's Waifu

Big Trash

Books are really nice, and a lot of the interactive workbooks for depression are good. Make sure you get books written by credible people and that aren't books telling you to get a new view of life and suck it up. Those are not helpful at all.
As for the anxiety, work books are less helpful. What I found really helpful for me was actually doing yoga. My mom and I took a beginner level yoga class together (you can go alone or with someone else) but it was really nice because reflecting and forgiving yourself was part of the class, and the movement helped me. I did a beginner class because it was mostly older people and people with physical limitations. It helped me a lot in feeling less anxious about the class itself.

Tipsy Bunny

11,525 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
I haven't been keeping up with it, but the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast is good. It is good if you are feeling very isolated or alone in your struggles.

Tipsy Bunny

11,525 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
undercoverwalrus
Books are really nice, and a lot of the interactive workbooks for depression are good. Make sure you get books written by credible people and that aren't books telling you to get a new view of life and suck it up. Those are not helpful at all.
As for the anxiety, work books are less helpful. What I found really helpful for me was actually doing yoga. My mom and I took a beginner level yoga class together (you can go alone or with someone else) but it was really nice because reflecting and forgiving yourself was part of the class, and the movement helped me. I did a beginner class because it was mostly older people and people with physical limitations. It helped me a lot in feeling less anxious about the class itself.

Exercise is really important! This is good advice.

Dedicated Friend

I know that exercise can be good physically and mentally, but my anxieties always prevented me from joining a class sweatdrop I'm hoping I can overcome them and do more exercise to feel happier and get more confident smile

olive buffet's Datemate

since 8 years old, i suffered with horrible anxiety and on and off depression
through high school i couldn't talk to people my anxiety was so bad
when i was 20, i was put on the antidepressant Mirtazapine and the atypical antipsychotic Xylac. I was told the antidepressant for my anxiety, the xylac for my apparent bulimia which I was diagnosed with because I complained about my stomach and getting sick alot.

on those drugs, i felt like s**t and actually worse than before.

i weened off and out of curiosity went on a pseudo-paleo diet. in other words, i would eat fresh meat, and vegetables, making everything from scratch, but i would also eat some grains and some dairy(as long as no sugar or starch added in)

within a week of that ,my depression was completely gone. i felt in the best mood of my life, and my anxiety was almost gone.

In other words, my diet high in sugar caused me to spend most of my life anxious and depressed.
The Noonday Demon: An Atlas For Depression
By Andrew Solomon
I recommend A new earth by Eckhert Tolle or The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

Dedicated Friend

mnhnrnnyng

Diet can play a major part in depression. I'm glad you overcame it all.

I am on a bit of a downer as the effects of withdrawal have been bringing me down. I didn't ween off them or even consult the doctors, just decided to stop taking them. I'm quite conscious of what I eat, and I'm aware that I don't eat enough which could contribute to a low mood sweatdrop

My confidence is growing and i feel i have become more independent. My concentration is horrendous though >.<

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I'm looking into them all. Please keep sharing your stories and recommendations.
Hatchet_90
I know that exercise can be good physically and mentally, but my anxieties always prevented me from joining a class sweatdrop I'm hoping I can overcome them and do more exercise to feel happier and get more confident smile

You could always youtube some yoga or other exercises and do them in your home. You don't have to join a gym to work out. Find some fitness channels.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff