Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Sex Symbol

I signed up to donate blood next tuesday in a blood drive. Problem is, I am terrified of needles... If anyone has any tips on how to keep calm they would be greatly appreciated. I honestly think I might cry at the blood drive.

Dapper Noob

Kyuri Okamimari
I signed up to donate blood next tuesday in a blood drive. Problem is, I am terrified of needles... If anyone has any tips on how to keep calm they would be greatly appreciated. I honestly think I might cry at the blood drive.

I listened to music when I got my blood taken. Listen to a song that makes you think of something else and don't psych yourself out. I saw this one kid psych himself out and turn green and almost pass out. But seriously it's over in no time

Lonely Sex Symbol

z_F3TU5_z
Kyuri Okamimari

I listened to music when I got my blood taken. Listen to a song that makes you think of something else and don't psych yourself out. I saw this one kid psych himself out and turn green and almost pass out. But seriously it's over in no time

Okay thanks. I'll try that... Hopefuly it will work.
Kyuri Okamimari

Definitely eat something sugary on your way there; a chocolate bar or biscuits for example. And drink a bottle of water beforehand. This is important advice because it will significantly reduce your chances of fainting or feeling dizzy during or shortly after your donation. If you feel at ease talking, definitely do so with the phlebotomist or nurse taking your donation; they will appreciate your generosity and will be more than happy to put you at ease or answer any questions you may have.

On behalf of the patients and staff you're helping; thanks! It's because of your act of altruism that hospitals can do the amazing, life saving work they do and as you may be aware, blood banks globally have a shortage of stock. You can walk with your head held high that your incredible generosity will undoubtably have saved a life.

3,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
I norm. Eat a good meal and drink orange juice. Them play on my phone

3,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
I norm. Eat a good meal and drink orange juice. Them play on my phone

Tipsy Regular

Kyuri Okamimari

Right, do as the medical student says. I'm not afraid of needles but I think it is a very unpleasant experience, however I always get through it by picturing myself swimming under water, or diving. I don't know why, but it puts me at ease. I have no idea if this is something that works for you, or if you even like swimming, but I suggest you either talk to the nurse taking the donation (while she is taking it) or you try to imagine something that makes you happy or at ease.

The fact that you're donating blood makes you a wonderful person!

Good luck! heart

Lonely Sex Symbol

MegaTurkey
Kyuri Okamimari

Definitely eat something sugary on your way there; a chocolate bar or biscuits for example. And drink a bottle of water beforehand. This is important advice because it will significantly reduce your chances of fainting or feeling dizzy during or shortly after your donation. If you feel at ease talking, definitely do so with the phlebotomist or nurse taking your donation; they will appreciate your generosity and will be more than happy to put you at ease or answer any questions you may have.

On behalf of the patients and staff you're helping; thanks! It's because of your act of altruism that hospitals can do the amazing, life saving work they do and as you may be aware, blood banks globally have a shortage of stock. You can walk with your head held high that your incredible generosity will undoubtably have saved a life.

Regards,

A grateful medical student.

Thanks. I feel a little better. I'm thinking about donating double red for the sole reason that I heard the needle is smaller. Is that true? I meet the height/weight requirements so hopefully I can.

Apocalyptic Codger

19,050 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I wish I could donate; I don't meet the height/weight requirements.

My friend has a needle phobia hardcore. She faints with needles. She found that if she looks away from the needle and counts back from 1000 she doesn't notice the needle as much. Our psych teacher gave her the tip in high school and it helped a lot.

Try bringing a friend along that you can have the dumbest conversations possible. Also eat and drink before hand. I would say at least a bottle of water and try and have real food before hand. Cookies and candy are ok but a sandwich is better. Those I know who donate say they never felt dizzy if they did that.

Make sure to do what they tell you at the blood donation place, staying there for 15 minutes or whatever their requirement is in your area. It helps them make sure you are ok.

You will do great I'm sure. Tell them needles make you a bit nervous too. They know tons of tricks to help with it. They most likely work in hospitals or elsewhere so they know how to make people feel more calm.

Since it is your first time donating I would just do the normal donation. The double red donation is really wonderful to do but if you barely meet the weight/height requirements I would first do the normal donation to make sure you react ok.

Retro Punk

first have somebody drive you. And take some water and your own cookies. Second.... man up?or Woman up?

Tipsy Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Love Machine 150
Erm. The best way to get over a fear of needles is to get stabbed with them a lot. Like two or three times a week for a month or so and you'll be over it for sure.

But not everybody has that option. So I have little to no advice other than to warn the person drawing your blood.

Good news, drawing blood hurts WAY less than receiving an IV.

Also make sure you eat some foods rich in iron the day before and the morning of. Otherwise a lot of places wont take it.

Kawaii Fairy

I suggest drinking a lot of water beforehand. Try to stay calm. Like, listen to music while your donating. Have someone to talk to also. It would get your mind off the needle and things.
Honestly, I've never donated blood and I don't think I ever will. I'd like to though.
Good luck! 3nodding

Magnetic Sex Symbol

Keep your arm relaxed and don't watch the needle. Relaxing is the most important thing you can do!

Lonely Sex Symbol

GuinAoiichi
first have somebody drive you. And take some water and your own cookies. Second.... man up?or Woman up?

Its at my school so i'll be there all day...
Definitely eat before hand. I always stuff myself if I can, because I tend to have a bad reaction every time. At schools they will give you water and cookies or other snacks. The needle will only hurt for about 5 seconds. It is pretty large, so I tend not to look at all. Good luck smile hopefully your donation will be better than mine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff