Welcome to Gaia! ::

Keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate everyday. Now.... 7 lbs is a bit extreme but not impossible. Chances are you will lose a lot of it during the next night. This is why I do not recommend tracking your weight daily, because you weight will go all over the place.

I would recommend having a large meal a couple of hours before bed that way you do not feel hungry when you go to bed. Our bodys' go into a different process when we sleep. This effects how our bodies handle... well everything. That is why it is not recommended to eat before you go to bed.

That being said if your snack has very little in it... like soy milk or water then you will be better off than most people. So keep your snack small and very low calorie and you will be fine... this will slow any fitness progress, but so will not sleeping.
XenoReiji
Keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate everyday. Now.... 7 lbs is a bit extreme but not impossible. Chances are you will lose a lot of it during the next night. This is why I do not recommend tracking your weight daily, because you weight will go all over the place.

I would recommend having a large meal a couple of hours before bed that way you do not feel hungry when you go to bed. Our bodys' go into a different process when we sleep. This effects how our bodies handle... well everything. That is why it is not recommended to eat before you go to bed.

That being said if your snack has very little in it... like soy milk or water then you will be better off than most people. So keep your snack small and very low calorie and you will be fine... this will slow any fitness progress, but so will not sleeping.
no.. its 7 lbs of fat lol when i eat, i binge. im 5'11 and i needed to gain some weight since i was too skinny but i sort of gained 7 unwanted lbs to the pounds i had to gain. and the 7lbs havent fluctuated so im 100% its fat from all the night time eating
low fat yogurt wink

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
blissXOXO

Hitsuga
blissXOXO
Hitsuga
blissXOXO
Hitsuga
You could eat less during the day so you have more at night. o: That's what I do. I actually eat more than half my calories at night. Lost 35 lbs. on that habit. ;D
wont all the calories just get stored as fat sad

No, that's a myth. All calories get turned into sugars, and any surplus calories are stored as fat. If you're not eating at a surplus of calories, you won't gain fat. I mean, how is your body even supposed to tell that it's past 7pm?

Here's the background behind the myth: People tend to make bad food choices at night. They snack on chips while watching a movie, or eat a tub of ice cream because they're by themselves and have no one to judge them. There is a correlation between night eating and gaining weight, but it's psychological, not physical.There is no causation. If you control your total calories, there is no difference between night eating and daytime eating, especially when it comes to weight loss.

I mean, I just told you that I lost 35 pounds while eating half my calories after 7pm. It's calories in, calories out.
i know that xD what i meant was.. if its calorie in and calorie out, how am i burning them before bed? my metabolism slows down and the calories i dont end up burning just gets stored. but if i eat and wait 3 hours before bed, youre right.. i could probably do that

Your metabolism doesn't slow down before bed! Any surplus in calories would get stored whether you ate it at night or during the day. I mean seriously, if anything, our bodies are LESS likely to store fat at night because we aren't eating anything while we sleep. It's going to burn off any calories you eat just keeping you alive! A perfectly sedentary person burns well over 1000 calories just living. If you laid in bed all day, you would still burn a lot!

To hitsuga: I don't wanna put you on the spot but you said some things that aren't true so I wanted to clear some of that up. Don't take this personally - it's great that you're helping others but I like to make sure everyone has the facts so they can make the best decisions.

1) Calories don't get turned into sugars. When you eat food, your body breaks those foods down into smaller molecules, which releases energy in the process. Calories are a measure of this energy - a calorie is not actually a physical object. Your body then harnesses this energy to carry out important processes like movement, breathing, digestion, protein synthesis, etc. Any energy that is NOT used, however, will be stored within the chemical bonds of additional fat.

2) Your metabolism is a measure of how quickly your body uses this energy. It DOES slow down when you are sleeping. If you consume a certain food in the morning, your body will most likely burn it off due to it being more metabolically active during the daytime. When you are sleeping, you are barely moving, and your metabolism slows down. Therefore, if you consume that same food at night, it may become stored as fat.

To the OP: to answer your question, it is slightly complicated. The danger doesn't lie in whether you are eating, but what you are eating. If you are truly hungry before bedtime, you can try to consume slow digesting proteins, such as casein, which is found in high amounts in dairy food and eggs. Greek yogurt is a great example. This will make you feel fuller, and take longer to digest so that you can be more sustained.

Do NOT eat anything containing high amounts of sugar or fat. Sugars are processed by your body quickly, and so you will feel hungrier, faster, and chances are some of that energy will be stored as fat. Fats are more than twice as calorie dense as carbs or proteins, and so they are generally a bad idea before bedtime.

Ideally, you shouldn't eat anything within 3 hours of bedtime, but if you can't help it, those are some healthier options.

Divine Zealot

Hitsuga
No, that's a myth. All calories get turned into sugars, and any surplus calories are stored as fat. If you're not eating at a surplus of calories, you won't gain fat. I mean, how is your body even supposed to tell that it's past 7pm?

Generally speaking, calories are stored as what they are. Protein is stored as structures (such as your muscle and organ tissues), carbohydrate is stored as glycogen, and fat is stored as fat. Unless you've been chowing down on like 600 - 800 grams (depending on bodyweight, activity level, blah blah blah), for several days on end, before anything turns into fat. De novo lipogenesis is a very rare phenomenon. After the storage is when the body generally begins to access it for it's needs. For example, when eating carbohydrate, they get broken down into simpler sugars, get shuttled off via insulin and stored. Once blood sugar gets too low, the body will then release glucagon, accessing glycogen and starting the process of glycogen being converted into glucose for the body to access.

Hitsuga
Your metabolism doesn't slow down before bed! Any surplus in calories would get stored whether you ate it at night or during the day. I mean seriously, if anything, our bodies are LESS likely to store fat at night because we aren't eating anything while we sleep. It's going to burn off any calories you eat just keeping you alive! A perfectly sedentary person burns well over 1000 calories just living. If you laid in bed all day, you would still burn a lot!

It WILL go down during sleep, simply because there isn't a lot of real movement going on. Even someone who is bed-bound is likely to still move around some. It may not be a whole lot, but you're still like... moving. Unless you're prone to violently tossing and turning, or sleep-walking, your energy expenditure during sleep is not going to be very awesome.

I believe it's more accurate to say that the metabolism is just the process of the body using energy to do what it has to do, from creating hormones to pumping blood. The body is constantly using energy, sending various ratios of glucose and fat through the body to be used as directed. (Generally speaking, when performing low-level activity, the body prioritizes fat over glucose, and in high activity, the body uses glucose, and then eventually shifts into utilizing fat to avoid burning through all of your glycogen stores. However, due to circumstances of our energy expenditure, those short bursts of activity burn more fat anyway, so not necessarily an excuse to stay sedentary either. razz But the irony that people who spend an hour on the treadmill would get far more done if they did a bit of sprinting instead, but I digress.) It is just that during our waking hours, we are more active (even the sedentary amongst us), so the rate at which we use energy is greater.

In any case, to the OP, provided proper calories and activity, you shouldn't have anything to fear from eating before bed. It's not the night-time eating that made you gain weight, it was either excess calories, water being stored via glycogen repletion, or a ton of other factors entirely. If you sleep soundly.

Dapper Conversationalist

I'm trying wrap my head around this issue, because honestly I prefer to go to bed a wee bit hungry.

But my personal experiences aside, many new studies say that you should eat dinner about 2-3 hours before going to bed (no more of the "before 6 pm" bull), so by the time you're under covers, you should be feeing neither full, nor starving. And wake up hungry for breakfast which is like my favorite-est thing ever.

Devoted Defender

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
Green tea has a little caffeine and might keep you up... But I'd recommend a glass of low/non-fat milk. smile
A good bedtime snack you can eat is yogurt which can be healthy for you depending on the kind you get. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff