Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Genius

6,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but I couldn't exactly find a 'for sure' answer out on the internet and I'm not concerned enough to ask my mom about seeing my doctor yet.

Okay, so I have either a mosquito bite that doesn't itch or a pimple on my inner thigh that does not have a head yet to pop, so I put a band-aid over it last night since it hurt when rubbing against my jeans. That solved the problem really well!

BUT

I was fine walking to the school bus, going to school, walking into school, but getting into the first two periods of school I had to keep my legs apart because when I walked or moved and my thighs touched it hurt!

Throughout the day walking almost became unbearable. (I had to take a zero in gym today because I just couldn't do it! I could barely walk!) I got home and took the band-aid off to see the problem.

I discovered what REALLY hurt was the band-aid. I don't mean 'I ripped it off and it caught a couple hairs' hurt, what I mean is that I have a really bad looking rash around the outside where the sticky stuff was. Where the band-aid was the sticky part is all red, hurts to touch and walk unless I'm really careful.

The band-aid was band-aid brand and I've NEVER had a problem with it before, as I am constantly getting cut or hurt in some way because I'm just clumsy, so I've had a LOT of band-aids since I was a kid and even now towards the end of High School.

I want to know if any of you have had problems with this and what the solution is or what this problem actually is.

To make it short, it was a fabric band-aid brand band-aid that I only put on last night (no previous band-aids in that spot EVER) about this size with the rash all around the edges where the sticky part was, not outside or on the pad area.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Wasn't sure where to ask this, so I decided to consider it heath being that the health of my skin was affected by the stupid band-aid.

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Sounds like a new allergy to the adhesive or the latex or whatever the band-aid is made of.

Fashionable Genius

6,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Lady Kayura
Sounds like a new allergy to the adhesive or the latex or whatever the band-aid is made of.

Couldn't be to the latex because it was a fabric band-aid.
But is it possible to develop an allergy to something I've never been allergic to before?

Invisible Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Were your thighs rubbing together, sometimes when skin rubs together it causes friction and friction burns therefore causing the skin to become irritated. Try a little lotion and some powder. Make sure you rub the lotion all the way in first and give it time to let it settle and then put some powder on your thighs.

Friendly Citizen

hm..I'm not quite sure but if the problem persists and gets worse, I encourage you to make an appointment with your doc. Just to be safe.
Bacteria and other dirty stuff gets trapped by the gum/glue on the bandaid. That might be irritating your skin.

Fashionable Genius

6,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Of course if it stays or gets worse i will go to a doctor but as for now I am just going to wait it out and hope it is something from my thighs rubbing together. If not it is all new to me because I have never had these problems before

Interesting Nerd

Was it a generic band-aid or band-aid brand?

Fashionable Genius

6,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Miss Esa
Was it a generic band-aid or band-aid brand?

I'm pretty sure I said it was band-aid brand

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
CherryXPepper

But is it possible to develop an allergy to something I've never been allergic to before?

Then if not the adhesive, then possibly the fabric. Or some chemical in the fabric. And yes, it is possible to develop allergies.
Possibly because of the site where you put the band aid, you said it was in your inner thigh? Well that place is naturally prone to friction especially when you are wearing tight jeans. So continuous walking while having that band aid on will most likely cause rashes caused by heat and friction. i think there is nothing to worry about unless there is inflammation/ severe itching at the site or petechiae (small red dots which indicate subcutaneous bleeding).
I've been getting strange rashes from adhesive bandages recently as well. My skin in contact with the adhesive becomes red and slightly inflamed, and when I remove the bandage top layer skin splits and peels at the edges.

It is possible to develop allergies to things we come in repeated contact with - but maybe the brand has changed its adhesive formula?

Anxious Human

CherryXPepper
Lady Kayura

Yes. My friend developed an allergy to chocolate in middle school. She never had a problem with it before then, and then one day she had a hershey bar and broke out in hives. Ever since then it's the same. She developed the allergy later on.
It's also how a lot of people become allergic to medicines when they're kids. They can have it at first, then it makes them sick.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff