Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

I'm always tired.

About 7 weeks ago I started the Insanity program and have been eating healthier.
I barely have any energy in the morning when I get up and workout, and despite what all the articles say about how working out wakes up your body and mind, it doesn't for me.
I finish my workout and want to crawl back into bed.
Then, when I get home from work I'm plain exhausted and just want to go to sleep.

I've been getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, which is recommended, so I'm not understanding where this exhaustion is coming from.

Any suggestions?

Healer

Honestly, the tiredness could be from something different going on in your body, I know I have low iron so my body is always tired, might be possible?

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Inexcusable Sin
I'm always tired.

About 7 weeks ago I started the Insanity program and have been eating healthier.
I barely have any energy in the morning when I get up and workout, and despite what all the articles say about how working out wakes up your body and mind, it doesn't for me.
Then, when I get home from work I'm plain exhausted and just want to go to sleep.

I've been getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, which is recommended, so I'm not understanding where this exhaustion is coming from.

Any suggestions?
Hey, It's good to hear you're taking control of your fitness and insanity is a great workout program. I'm no doctor but I have been where you are. I feel tired and sleepy all day after a heavy and hard hitting work out. The difference is I have insomnia and can't sleep at night, or ever. My best advice would be fight the tiredness, balance your diet, and stick with it. May I ask how many calories you eat a day? and have you taken in to account of the calories lost due to insanity?

Alien Investigator

7,750 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I had this same problem. I kept on getting very tired and cranky through out the day when I first began my journey to fitness. I found that it was really what I was eating. On days when I had roller derby practice and also skated for 45 minutes in the morning I found myself weak and tired. How much meat are you eating? If it is little you may want to up the intake after a workout. I was just eating too little because I was so concerned with loosing the fat off of my body that I ignored its pleas for food! Now I eat more (even though it scares me a little) and I find that I can still loose weight but not feel so wiped out.
Good luck!!!

Sugary Shoujo

28,275 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Smooth Operator 100
Check to be sure you're getting enough calories in. A fitness program like Insanity requires your energy to provide proper fuel. If you haven't already, try to figure out exactly how many you're burning during a workout (using a heart rate monitor or such) & then compare that to how much you eat. If you think you're getting enough, the fatigue could be caused by a lack of some vitamins or minerals. If you can, take a multivitamin once a day! 3nodding

Divine Zealot

Inexcusable Sin
I'm always tired.

Any suggestions?

If your exercising more intensely, increase your sleep. Aim for about 9-10. Your body goes through a lot of stuff during sleep, after all. I think 9-10 hours might be more appropriate. Far as I consider it, if you have to use an alarm to get up, you're not getting enough sleep.

I like to think of it like this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Newbie Noob

Cyriac

That could be a possibility.
Maybe I should start taking multivitamins that have iron or try to eat more iron rich foods and see if that helps.
Thanks.

Newbie Noob

bunnyhavoc

I eat around 1,500 calories a day. I've been sticking to, in my opinion, a healthy diet.
I have a heart rate monitor that says I usually burn anywhere between 300-500 calories a work out depending on the intensity of it, but I guess I don't take that into account?
Why would I need to take those calories into account?

Newbie Noob

asssphinctersayswhat

I don't eat that much meat because I'm not a meat person.
I'm very picky, and honestly I'll only eat boneless skinless chicken breasts a couple times a week and that's it.
I guess if it wasn't for that I'd almost be a vegetarian.

Newbie Noob

AcidicLemons

I eat around 1,500 calories and burn around 300-500 calories a work out. (According to my heart rate monitor)
I'm thinking about taking a multivitamin now just to see if it helps.

Newbie Noob

Wraiem

I do sometimes get 9 hours of sleep. I definitely get 10 on the weekend.
Also, usually for the weekdays my body subconsciously wakes me up about 10 minutes before my alarm goes off, but I'm still so tired that I don't want to get up :/

Hilarious Fatcat

4,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Inexcusable Sin
bunnyhavoc

I eat around 1,500 calories a day. I've been sticking to, in my opinion, a healthy diet.
I have a heart rate monitor that says I usually burn anywhere between 300-500 calories a work out depending on the intensity of it, but I guess I don't take that into account?
Why would I need to take those calories into account?
Calories in vs calories out. you could be way under eating, which is bad and can lead to fat gain. Go look up a calorie calculator. I think the hodge twins website has one. find out how many calories you are eating. If you need 1800 calories for healthy weight loss, make sure you subtract calories you have at the end of the day.
Let's say you burn 100 calories and you eat 2000. you have 1900 at the end of the day.
Have you been drinking enough water? Dehydration causes sleepiness and when working out like this you must make sure to take in a good amount before starting and after finishing the workout.

Divine Zealot

Inexcusable Sin
Wraiem

I do sometimes get 9 hours of sleep. I definitely get 10 on the weekend.
Also, usually for the weekdays my body subconsciously wakes me up about 10 minutes before my alarm goes off, but I'm still so tired that I don't want to get up :/

Waking up shortly before the alarm goes off is possibly a sign of a habit. Your body knows that the alarm goes off soon, and picks an opportune time to wake up. If you're still tired after waking up, you did one of two things.
1. You didn't get enough sleep.
2. You woke up during a deep sleep phase

Think of your ideal sleep being the amount you get on your weekends, where you don't have work, school, etc... (Possibly social mandatory things in general.) If your exercising more intensely than you are before, this need increases to help repair and do all of it's normal stuff.

Gracious Raider

If I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I'm exhausted all the next day. I feel better with like. 5-6 hours each night.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff