Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wintry Avenger

I've decided to go on an all bell pepper diet, eating only bell peppers for a 30 day period. Anyone else ever do this or something similar? Pros and cons?

Fashionable Prophet

There's not nearly enough protein, not nearly enough of a lot of nutrients! So I hope this is a joke or you'll become malnourished.

Eat a variety of healthy foods in proportion. sad You never get all you need from one food.

Even if you lose weight your body will go into starvation mode and when you eat normal food more of it will be stored as fat.
This is a real diet? I thought it was just a gimmick on the Simpson to make fun of the whole cheating and spying on your spouse thing?

Ah yeah, you'll lose weight, definitely, then you'll gain it all back once you start introducing other foods back into your diet.

Wintry Avenger

It's more of a super cleanse because I'm heavily addicted to sugars and carbs, so I'd like to completely rid my body of them and then get slowly into eating healthily.

Wheezing Fatcat

Thirty days of eating only one food will leave you with all kinds of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Dumb decision, don't make it.

Newbie Noob

I'm with everyone else here. A cleanse shouldn't even last that long.

If you're looking for a more healthier cleanse, I suggest seeking out some liquids that have more nutritional value. Some people go with juice, some people go with smoothies, and some (crazy) people just go with water. The max amount of days you can stay this way is probably 15 days.

I've done it for 3 days and went mad, but in such a short time period, I already saw my health improving. Then I convinced myself to go on it for a couple more days and I began eating healthier again afterwards. And I'm still alive today.

Your general strategy's fine, but lessen the time period and look for a different cleanse. Just my 2 cents.

Divine Zealot

Ghostfrost
Even if you lose weight your body will go into starvation mode and when you eat normal food more of it will be stored as fat.

I disagree with this.

piparminttukaramelli
Thirty days of eating only one food will leave you with all kinds of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Dumb decision, don't make it.

And agree with this.
You need other foods than just peppers, I agree. You'll make yourself not only physically sick, but also you will get sick of eating the same thing over and over pretty fast. What you should be doing is just balancing your diet, not trying to avoid certain macros altogether. Eat lots of protein, but try eating a little bit less carbs/fat if you're feeling like they are that problematic. Try starting your meal by filling up on protein and then moving on to other foods. Works for me.

Wintry Avenger

I've been doing it for two and a half days, but I'll add some kind of bean to my lunch for protein, and maybe an orange for dessert after dinner. Thanks for the suggestions!

Divine Zealot

obamaurmama
I've been doing it for two and a half days, but I'll add some kind of bean to my lunch for protein, and maybe an orange for dessert after dinner. Thanks for the suggestions!

Vegetarian / vegan? Or any particular reason you're focusing on plant matter?

Wintry Avenger

Wraiem
obamaurmama

Yeah, I'm trying to cleanse my body of its addiction to carbs and animals. When I'm done with this nonsense, I'm hoping to go back to a normal diet. Not vegan or vegetarian, per se, but more fruitarian than anything else. I'm way too addicted to things like red meat and snacks of the potato chip variety, and need a serious cleanse, even if it's not 100% the best idea.

Divine Zealot

obamaurmama
Wraiem
obamaurmama

Yeah, I'm trying to cleanse my body of its addiction to carbs and animals. When I'm done with this nonsense, I'm hoping to go back to a normal diet. Not vegan or vegetarian, per se, but more fruitarian than anything else. I'm way too addicted to things like red meat and snacks of the potato chip variety, and need a serious cleanse, even if it's not 100% the best idea.

I disagree with just about everything here.

First off, red meat isn't unhealthy. It's been demonized. Cholesterol and saturated fat aren't bad. Some nutrients actually require fat to absorb the nutrients. Second, carbs are too. The body's preferred fuel source, and then you're thinking of going to fruit, which is full of carbohydrate? Potato chips are mostly fat (by calories). You're not addicted to potato chips, you're addicted to very palatable foods. Read this. They're designed to make you eat them.

And the body is always cleansing. The better way to do it is to maximize nutrient repletion (best done through animal products), increase intake of healthier carb and fat choices (dairy, eggs, meats, potatoes, white rice) for energy and get rid of anything heavily processed. Combine with proper sleep, lowering stress and some daily sun exposure. This would greatly improve the metabolism, thus increasing the body's efficiency of excreting waste material ("toxins" wink .

Wintry Avenger

Wraiem
obamaurmama
Wraiem
obamaurmama

First off, red meat isn't unhealthy. It's been demonized. Cholesterol and saturated fat aren't bad. Some nutrients actually require fat to absorb the nutrients. Second, carbs are too. The body's preferred fuel source, and then you're thinking of going to fruit, which is full of carbohydrate? Potato chips are mostly fat (by calories). You're not addicted to potato chips, you're addicted to very palatable foods. Read this. They're designed to make you eat them.

And the body is always cleansing. The better way to do it is to maximize nutrient repletion (best done through animal products), increase intake of healthier carb and fat choices (dairy, eggs, meats, potatoes, white rice) for energy and get rid of anything heavily processed. Combine with proper sleep, lowering stress and some daily sun exposure. This would greatly improve the metabolism, thus increasing the body's efficiency of excreting waste material ("toxins" wink .

Yeah, I'm actually aware of all that, tbh. But I know my body, and I know that when I force myself to go completely cold turkey on things I have an addiction problem with (like cigarettes and certain drugs), I have a better success rate. I just couldn't find any information on anyone doing a bell pepper fast so I posted here hoping someone might know a little something. But thanks for the information~!

Divine Zealot

obamaurmama
Wraiem
obamaurmama
Wraiem
obamaurmama

Yeah, I'm actually aware of all that, tbh. But I know my body, and I know that when I force myself to go completely cold turkey on things I have an addiction problem with (like cigarettes and certain drugs), I have a better success rate. I just couldn't find any information on anyone doing a bell pepper fast so I posted here hoping someone might know a little something. But thanks for the information~!

Merely arguing that there is a difference between an "addiction" and a biological advantage. Going fruitarian sounds like a terrible decision, is all.

Wintry Avenger

Wraiem

Merely arguing that there is a difference between an "addiction" and a biological advantage. Going fruitarian sounds like a terrible decision, is all.
I feel you. And I agree, going completely fruitarian wouldn't be what I'm aiming for. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff