You hate her?

OMG YES THAT B17CH!!11 0.089605734767025 9.0% [ 25 ]
I dislike her... 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 31 ]
I don't care for her 0.34767025089606 34.8% [ 97 ]
She's okay 0.36200716845878 36.2% [ 101 ]
NO I love her! 0.089605734767025 9.0% [ 25 ]
Total Votes:[ 279 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

So I see not only on here, but a lot of places that people just can't stand Cho Chang. I just don't understand why. She wasn't a selfish p***k like Draco was, or an a*****e like Snape was to everyone that wasn't in Slytherien, but people LOOOOOOVE them and call CHO the b***h. I've seen the reasons people give, but they seem kinda dumb to me, and I found a post that sums up what I was thinking pretty well here.

Quote:
We hate Cho because...

1)She cries too much-
Rebuttal: Cho only cried a total of four times in the entire series. Once at the end of the fourth book during Dumbledore's Remember Cedric speech, and thrice throughout the course of book five. She cried over the death of Cedric, who may or may not have been her "boyfriend," but at least seemed a reasonably close friend to her. One would not scoff at some one who lost a friend or loved one to murder, a war, or a natural disaster, so why do readers scoff at Cho when she does this? If that was JK Rowling's intent to have readers follow Harry's lead in thinking Cho was a human hosepipe for crying over some one's death, than that is extremely irresponsible of her. I wonder if she would dare write something like that now, in the aftermath of the London bombings?

If crying is indeed a valid reason for hating people, then shouldn't we hate Hermione Granger(she cried at least 15 times), Ginny Weasley(she cried 9 times), Hagrid(he cried at least 6 times), Molly Weasley (she cried roughtly 6 times), and Neville Longbottom (he cried about five times) more, since they all cried more than Cho Chang did over the course of the six books?

2)She has too many boyfriends, and is therefore a whore/slut/tramp/etc
Rebuttal:Cho is known to have dated only Cedric Diggory, and Harry Potter (and maybe Michael Corner, but it is not certain, as it is only Ginny Weasley's word on that, and we never see Cho and Michael together, and for all we know, Michael might only be her friend, not her boyfriend). If having only two boyfriends is a logical reason to call a character any of those derogatory names, then Hermione should also be one, as she dated Victor Krum, and sabotaged Ron's dates with Lavendar because she wanted Ron for herself. And what about Ginny, who went to the Yule Ball with Neville Longbottom, and dated Michael Corner, Dean Thomas, and Harry Potter? Do readers fault Hermione and Ginny for the same offenses they ostracize Cho for?

3)Cho used Harry Potter
Rebuttal:How did she use him? Harry liked Cho, and though she needed closure over the Cedric's death, she was kind to Harry, and in the end seemed to at least reciprocate some of his affections. If you look at their relationship closely, it seems that Harry's foul disposition was equally, if not more to blame for their relationship's shortcomings.

4)Cho was jealous of Hermione, so therefore Cho=Bad
Rebuttal:Harry made known his intent to meet Hermione...while he was supposed to be in the middle of a date with Cho. I would have been very surprised if Cho hadn't been jealous! If I had been on a date with a woman who acted fidgety and sulky the whole time, and said she had to go meet with a guy I knew she spent most of her time with anyway, I'd be jealous too, especially if it was right in the middle of a date! Wouldn't you be as well?

5)Cho is a vindictive b***h
Rebuttal:When exactly was she a b***h? I don't recall her ever being physically violent or insulting anyone outright. If that is a reason for hating some one, shouldn't we then hate Hermione for chewing out Harry and Ron so often? Shouldn't we hate Harry from book five for vandalising Dumbledore's office in book five? Shouldn't we hate Ron for pouting after Harry was chosen as one of the Tri-Wizard champions? Shouldn't we hate Ginny for flying her broom into the Quidditch Commentator's stand simply because she didn't like Zacharius Smith's anti-Gryffindor commentary? Bear in mind, not even Draco behaved that badly when Lee Jordan made his infamous Pro-Gryffindor or Pro-Potter commentaries.

I sincerely hope we are beyond the point of hating her on her colour race alone?

I'll be honest and say she's far from my favorite character and know she's far from perfect. But all this random Cho hate is baffling to me. neutral

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

12,875 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Conventioneer 300
Yeah... that sums it up pretty well. Misogyny, in general, is to blame for most of those reasons. It's sad that she gets so much flack.

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
magic_lily
Yeah... that sums it up pretty well. Misogyny, in general, is to blame for most of those reasons. It's sad that she gets so much flack.

This
I didn't get the hate for Cho either, but I guess some of the hate comes from instead of Marietta Edgecomb telling about Dumbledore's Army, it was Cho Chang.

Timid Friend

5,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Society scrutinizes women, so female characters usually get held to unfairly high standards, especially if they're young and a love interest.

Personally I liked Cho, I was sympathetic for her. I feel that Harry and Cho could have had a better relationship if they had better circumstances, but it was the wrong time for them. I sincerely shipped them as a child and liked to imagine them sneaking off to the Quidditch pitch together. Ah, oh well.

Romantic Senshi

12,425 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
She's okay. =x

Romantic Senshi

11,300 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Friendly 100
  • Signature Look 250
She's ok, just not one of my favourite characters from the series. heart

Plinti's Husband

Distinct Seeker

11,575 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
Cho is a minor character in the series, basically the 1st crush of Harry... She is okay, but that's all. ^^'
heart I don't like or dislike her, I just think she was a kind of pointless. For me, it was just really frustrating to read about Harry and Cho, when I'd known that he was meant for Ginny since book two. heart

Jelly Bear

15,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Falling For You 25
I don't hate her, but I don't like her either. In my opinion, she's just kind of...there . My feelings about her never really changed throughout the books.
She didn't do anything wrong, people just love to find somebody to hate, I guess.

Feral Wolf

12,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I never cared for Cho, but the hate she gets is kind of stupid. One example with the DA thing, it wasn't Cho in the books that ratted them out, it was a friend who had been scared for her mother's job, and Cho stood by her. Also, in the movie, it made it very clear that Cho gave the information unwillingly due to the potion given to her in the tea she drank.
The characters I actually dislike are Ginny and Hermione. Ginny because I felt that she never had much character development throughout the series. Plus, when we see her first she is really shy, and the next time we saw her she is suddenly she is super confident. Her sudden personality shift rubbed me the wrong way.
I never really liked Hermione, because she never got called out for things she did in the series. One instance is when she attacked Ron with the canaries, if he did that to her it would have been called out on. Also, when they fight, Ron is always at fault no matter what in the books. The books went out of their way to make Hermione look better out of the two whenever it can.

Liberal Hunter

4,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
Because she a basic b!$%h

Gekko

Xx--Shezza--xX
heart I don't like or dislike her, I just think she was a kind of pointless. For me, it was just really frustrating to read about Harry and Cho, when I'd known that he was meant for Ginny since book two. heart

Timid Browser

7,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
n u l l -00
Xx--Shezza--xX

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff