Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Vampire

I never got where all the love for Draco comes from. He was really annoying for me but everyone else seems to love him. Can you explain?

D-Wendigo's Waifu

Lonely Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I never had much love for Draco, but I kinda felt bad for him. To me, it seems like he was a bit jealous of Harry. Harry was new to the wizarding world, yet he was so famous and teachers tended to bend rules around him (especially in his first year). The only one that didn't, was Snape. Which is why, I think, Draco liked him so much.

Not defending Lucius here, cause quite frankly, ******** that guy. But in Draco's eyes, because of Harry, his father was sent to Azkaban. Forced to join the Death Eaters, and kill Dumbledore. And if he failed, Voldemort would have killed Draco. But at the same time, he also felt important, even though he was clearly scared to his core. He didn't want to do to those things. He didn't really want to kill Dumbledore, cause like Harry said, "He was lowering his wand."

Then the part in Deathly Hallows, in Malfoy Manor. When Harrry, Ron, and Hermione were captured, and Hermione had that stinging charm on Harry's face. Draco knew it was Harry, but didn't say anything. He only said "what happened to his face." And then kept quiet. Deep down, even though he hated Harry, he most definitely didn't want him in the hands of Voldemort. Yes, when Harry and Ron came out of the basement, Draco fought them, but I think he only did that to keep up appearances. I always thought, and still do, that Draco really redeemed himself at that part in the series.

"But what about in the room of requirement in Deathly Hallows?" That was Draco being Draco, the little bully wanting his wand back from Harry. Because right when Harry brought up what happened at Malfoy Manor, Draco's expression changed and he suddenly didn't look all that bad.

AND then at the part where Voldemort confronts the people at Hogwarts when he and the Death Eaters think that Harry is dead, and Draco stands with the survivors from the previous night. It takes his mother to call him over.. and even then he looks very hesitant.

Not saying I love Draco. I'm simply saying, he's much more complex character than we thought at first glance. And in those few things, I think redeemed himself a bit. And honestly, I feel kinda bad for him. I think that if wasn't raised by such bigot, racist parents, he would have turned out so much better.
Besides Snape and Voldemort and the Death Eaters, he was really the only person in the books who didn't like Harry or the Trio. Which made him unique.

Dapper Noob

2,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I don't see why people like Draco as he is not a generally likable person, but in my opinion he isn't blatantly evil. He is really just cowardly and insecure. Draco is a complete bully, but, like most bullies, he is just insecure. Also he was raised that way as his father is a giant bully himself. He needs Crabbe and Goyle as his cronies in order to feel secure, because he is a coward.
Maybe that didn't answer your question, but hopefully it was interesting none the less.

Original Gaian

I liked him because I found his character very interesting and entertaining.
I liked his mother Narcissa too, though they were on the evil side they had love for one and other.
I also enjoyed reading the interaction between him and Harry which made the book even more interesting and realistic. It wouldn't have been much of a book if everyone at Hogwartz loved Harry Potter.

Mewling Genius

8,800 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
I think a lot of it's been said.

I appreciate that he was there to explore a character that wasn't on the side of good but wasn't inherently evil. It's like he was drafted into the evil army and was doing his best to dodge without shaming is family or facing the consequences.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I had a short lived crush on a bad boy in school. The more I learned about him, the more the luster faded and I saw beyond "He's cute". Sometimes it's hard to see beyond a cute face (especially with the strong beauty= goodness trope prevelent in all medias) and to some Tom Fenton is cute ymmv. Also some backlash against the absolute good/evil setup in the series, this is why in works where good Slytherns are shown more often than not you'll see evil Grifendors.

I think Draco was a spineless punk who talked big and a worthess legacy moocher.

Celestial Guardian

60,975 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Worthy Challenger 25
  • Budding Witch 250
Probably because he's played by Tom Felton and the whole bad boy concept.

I've always felt that he was just misunderstood and had the wrong kind of influence while growing up. Sure his parents loved him but they gave off the wrong influence...

I could see him having the potential to being good especially near the end. Felt bad for him a lot because of what he had been dragged into because of his father and his peers.
Cause he "HAWT" and that's it. Yep people are shallow & don't care how much of a whinny, self-centered p***k he was. It's the same with Snape.
i mean everyone loves an anti-hero. for most of the series, he was in fact a villain and became a death eater, but he was weak inside and a lot of people can get behind and root for that.

Tipsy Hunter

7,500 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
I personally love him because he's, to me, one of the more relatable characters, at least in the last bit of the series.

Not everyone is going to be brave enough to actively go against Voldemort like most of the Gryffindors, especially when your family has taught you otherwise all your life. The fact that he realized he didn't really agree with Voldemort's ideals and balked some in the 6th and 7th books tells you there's more to him the whole a*****e bully thing that he was for most of the series. Granted, he's definitely not a likable person, but I defo feel for him and his situation. I think for me, it's just that he seems a lot more complex and three dimensional than some of the other characters do, but it may just be a personal preference sort of thing.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
It's because he wears leather pants.

Questionable Prophet

Because he's what Harry could have been with the wrong influences.

It's Harry if he grew up knowing he was the chosen one. If he was expected to follow Voldemort, rather than fight against him.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff