harry parents 0.084210526315789 8.4% [ 8 ]
edward cullen 0.031578947368421 3.2% [ 3 ]
prisonor of azakaban 0.10526315789474 10.5% [ 10 ]
snape 0.58947368421053 58.9% [ 56 ]
Total Votes:[ 95 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Celestial Spirit

NeonMeiko
The most tragic for me was Fred's death, just the thought of all the pain George had and has to go through to keep on living himself after losing his twin, is enough to make my blood run cold. Then there is the rest of the family's pain.

Most of the deaths were just unneeded, Lupin and Tonks just after they got together AND had a child. Fred, just why? I was reading for Ron and the Twins ever since the second book.
Snape, o.k maybe his was part of the bigger plot, but did he have to have such a sad death.
Dumbledore was going to die soon anyway so I can begrudgingly accept his. Sirius was just a pathetic death, and I don't see why Luscious couldn't have been killed off, or any other random deatheater in that scene just to even the deaths out.
And isn't it a little odd that Harry was more upset about Doddy's death than Hedwigs, he'd known Hedwig longer and she was always of use to him so he should have mourned her at least equally to Dobby.
There was also Cedric Diggory's death, I really don't see why he had to die. He wasn't an important enough character to have caused big ripples to the plot like Lupin or Sirius.
I don't care much for the Potters and James did seem like a right jerk.

But isn't that the point? War causes all sorts of 'unnecessary' pain and death. How can you demonstrate how terrible it is without killing off characters?

Timid Lunatic

Sianserais
Quote:
But isn't that the point? War causes all sorts of 'unnecessary' pain and death. How can you demonstrate how terrible it is without killing off characters?

Yes, that is how war is. That doesn't mean the odds were fair for Harry's side. I just think it's odd that there weren't many mentions of the death eaters dieing, sure there was Bellatrix but where are the others. Why were there seemingly more deaths on Harry's side than Voldemort's, especially since Lupin, Tonks, Madeye, ect. were trained for fighting others. So why did they seemingly die without a proper fight when all the supposedly 'untrained' or at least formally trained students fared better. And yes, J.K could have just not brought them into the story because she was focusing on the heroes, but wouldn't it paint them in a better light if they went down fighting? Why not demonstrate all the pains of war, for both sides of the fight. Like mentioning the families of the death eaters in passing or something.

Celestial Spirit

NeonMeiko
Sianserais
Quote:

Yes, that is how war is. That doesn't mean the odds were fair for Harry's side. I just think it's odd that there weren't many mentions of the death eaters dieing, sure there was Bellatrix but where are the others. Why were there seemingly more deaths on Harry's side than Voldemort's, especially since Lupin, Tonks, Madeye, ect. were trained for fighting others. So why did they seemingly die without a proper fight when all the supposedly 'untrained' or at least formally trained students fared better. And yes, J.K could have just not brought them into the story because she was focusing on the heroes, but wouldn't it paint them in a better light if they went down fighting? Why not demonstrate all the pains of war, for both sides of the fight. Like mentioning the families of the death eaters in passing or something.

Perhaps there should have been more, yes. But since the story uses a limited viewpoint, we can't expect to get to see everything. As to the families of the Deatheaters (except for the Malfoys), it would be difficult for the readers to feel anything for characters they don't even know. I have to doubt anyone would have cared.

Timid Lunatic

Sianserais
NeonMeiko
Sianserais
Quote:

Perhaps there should have been more, yes. But since the story uses a limited viewpoint, we can't expect to get to see everything. As to the families of the Deatheaters (except for the Malfoys), it would be difficult for the readers to feel anything for characters they don't even know. I have to doubt anyone would have cared.

True, people probably wouldn't have cared, but that is why I said in passing. Yes, the readers probably won't feel for the others family's. And the viewpoint is limited, a little too limited, on the destruction of war. It points out pieces but not whole pictures of the devastation going on. We don't know what happens after, or how people put their lives back together, we only know that they did. It's a very one sided look on the war. Black and white, no thought for the grey areas. Like family's split because members took separate sides, or reconciliation between families for exactly this reason.

Celestial Spirit

NeonMeiko

True, people probably wouldn't have cared, but that is why I said in passing. Yes, the readers probably won't feel for the others family's. And the viewpoint is limited, a little too limited, on the destruction of war. It points out pieces but not whole pictures of the devastation going on. We don't know what happens after, or how people put their lives back together, we only know that they did. It's a very one sided look on the war. Black and white, no thought for the grey areas. Like family's split because members took separate sides, or reconciliation between families for exactly this reason.

Well, keep in mind that it is a children's fantasy series, not a treatise on WWII. That having been said, I think she could have done more with the Slytherin students. As others have pointed out here, just because the books are popular doesn't mean Rowling is the best writer alive.

Timid Lunatic

Sianserais
NeonMeiko

Well, keep in mind that it is a children's fantasy series, not a treatise on WWII. That having been said, I think she could have done more with the Slytherin students. As others have pointed out here, just because the books are popular doesn't mean Rowling is the best writer alive.

True. Very true.

Alien Worshipper

20,550 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Buggin' 500
  • That One Hero 500
i was mainly upset about Hedwig's, but WHY IS EDWARD ON THERE?!!!!!!!!!! not that i like twilight.... because, let's face it, it's kinda bad..... stare

Friendly Gaian

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Snape , Tonks & Lupin , Fred

User Image
Maybe Sirius

Quotable Codger

15,975 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Every time I read Deathly Hallows, Fred's death gets to me.

Dangerous Genius

4,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Hello everybody and i love how all of you guys are voting in this and snape got bitten by a snake and alot of people vote for him and people are also sayin fred.

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image
"Fred. Snape was always prepared for death, and honestly he didn't have much to live for."
User Image
cedric still hurts me even now. but since i still haven't watched the last one i can only tell which deaths upsets me. i really didn't care for dumbledore.i hear snape dies. what kind of world are we living in. and fred how could she be content ending things like that.i'm in love with the twins. what the hell is George going to do. sirius broke my heart too. i can't believe lupin goes and die too or hedwig and dobby. so heart breaking. cry cry cry

Pal

emotion_bigheart Dumbledore and Fred emotion_bigheart
-cries-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out