Welcome to Gaia! ::

What did you think of Ron+Hermione and Harry+Ginny, and any other relationships e.g. Lupin and Tonks?

I mean, I did not see it coming at all. I always thought Ginny was like a younger sister to Harry. And Ron and Hermione...their personalities are always clashing and they're always fighting. I was really surprised in the 6th book when these developments emerged.

It still seems kind of weird and awkward to me when I read it, but I'm not complaining, well, what do you think about it? Anybody else think it seemed a bit weird? Are you happy with the relationships or not? If not, who did you expect them to pair up with?

Divorced Divorcee

6,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Mr Eddyy
What did you think of Ron+Hermione and Harry+Ginny, and any other relationships e.g. Lupin and Tonks?

I mean, I did not see it coming at all. I always thought Ginny was like a younger sister to Harry. And Ron and Hermione...their personalities are always clashing and they're always fighting. I was really surprised in the 6th book when these developments emerged.

It still seems kind of weird and awkward to me when I read it, but I'm not complaining, well, what do you think about it? Anybody else think it seemed a bit weird? Are you happy with the relationships or not? If not, who did you expect them to pair up with?

Hermione with harry. Here is why... mostly.

(requoating myself from a old forum.)

Even in the books I would say Hermione. Brains, Caring, Animal/Creature lover, Bushy hair, imperfect teeth, powerful woman, SHES NOT PERFECT BUT BEAUTIFUL JUST THE SAME!

Ginny in the books is just a annoying little girl who has the looks and body but no brains. I love red heads with a passion, so that is her only redeeming quality. She only loved Harry at first because of his popularity, and good looks. It took her forever to love him for who he was, when Hermione loved him for himself starting on the train their first year, (As a brother or crush, doesn't matter).
And hermione proved she would forever be loyal to harry.
likeawolf
Mr Eddyy

Hermione with harry. Here is why... mostly.

(requoating myself from a old forum.)

Even in the books I would say Hermione. Brains, Caring, Animal/Creature lover, Bushy hair, imperfect teeth, powerful woman, SHES NOT PERFECT BUT BEAUTIFUL JUST THE SAME!

Ginny in the books is just a annoying little girl who has the looks and body but no brains. I love red heads with a passion, so that is her only redeeming quality. She only loved Harry at first because of his popularity, and good looks. It took her forever to love him for who he was, when Hermione loved him for himself starting on the train their first year, (As a brother or crush, doesn't matter).
And hermione proved she would forever be loyal to harry.

Yeah to be honest I could see Harry and Hermione going together more than Ron and Hermione or Harry and Ginny.

Fuzzy Noob

Never thought much of the romance in the books (since it's more about the setting and the mysteries and the adventures <3!), but it's necessary to make the characters more relatable, so I'm just neutral about who's with who. :/ Love is a weird thing anyway, so who am I to judge?

BUT! I did enjoy the love story between Snape and Lily! When that was revealed, my mind was just blown. HOLY MOLYYY MACORONIS. Hehehehe. But then maybe that goes without saying. I don't think anyone would dislike that love story.

And while my more cynical side did gag at the ending where people married their Hogwarts sweethearts (and named their children after every other important character in the series), I decided it appealed to my idealistic side. J.K. Rowling's very idealistic with her romance. There are recurring themes of remaining with your first-love, taking love to the grave, etc. Tonks would love Lupin even if he was a werewolf and too old and too poor. Grindelwald tries to protect Dumbledore even in his last breath despite their falling out. And of course there's Snape's love for Lily. Harry potter romance is for the starry-eyed folks. 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding

Married Werewolf

I disagree with the above assessments of Hermione and Ginny.
Firstly, I know that Hermione and Ron clash a lot, but Ron is a great deal like his father. Sweet for the most part, but a bit bumbling. He doesn't lay down the law (think of how he handled the prefecture) and he is decidedly careless. Think of Hermione as the Molly to his Arthur. She is also loving and generally sweet, but she balances out his carelessness with her responsibility. She may be a bit harsh and nagging sometimes, but it is always for the best. There is no doubt that in adulthood, when they have kids of their own, that their marriage is very like Arthur/Molly. That is why I have long agreed with this relationship.

And as for Ginny, I disagree with likeawolf about Ginny. I know that she was a bit starstruck by Harry at first, but people seem to forget that over the course of the 5th book especially she moved on from him and saw other people, and their relationship became closer as friends. She was right there with Neville and Luna in the Department of Mysteries. And she is actually a clever and talented witch. She has guts and attitude. And I think that will make her a good match for Harry. She is not as mothering as Hermione, which is good because on the whole Harry doesn't need it.
I also think that over the course of the books it has been very important for Harry's relationship with Hermione to be free of the kind of drama that romantic feelings produce. Imagine the hardships it might have produced if the problems she has had with Ron had been with Harry instead. After all, in goblet of fire and deathly hallows especially it was when she was having problems with Ron that Harry needed her most.

My favorite relationship, by far, was Remus and Tonks. Nothing about how Remus handled it really surprised me. I had been telling my friends for ages that if Remus was ever in love he would definitely run away. But I was glad that in the end it worked out. Even though he resisted as hard as he could, her love for him and Harry's... words of encouragement... made him ultimately realize that he was better off with his family. I think its a shame that JKR decided to off them, especially because she had initially intended for them to survive. I always though that with his patience, wisdom, and sense of fun Remus would have been a great father. I think that there will always be part of my mind that rejects the Lupins' deaths. I was sad to see may favorite ship, and the life of my favorite character, cut short.

Shameless Trendsetter

28,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Remus Moony J Lupin
I disagree with the above assessments of Hermione and Ginny.
Firstly, I know that Hermione and Ron clash a lot, but Ron is a great deal like his father. Sweet for the most part, but a bit bumbling. He doesn't lay down the law (think of how he handled the prefecture) and he is decidedly careless. Think of Hermione as the Molly to his Arthur. She is also loving and generally sweet, but she balances out his carelessness with her responsibility. She may be a bit harsh and nagging sometimes, but it is always for the best. There is no doubt that in adulthood, when they have kids of their own, that their marriage is very like Arthur/Molly. That is why I have long agreed with this relationship.

And as for Ginny, I disagree with likeawolf about Ginny. I know that she was a bit starstruck by Harry at first, but people seem to forget that over the course of the 5th book especially she moved on from him and saw other people, and their relationship became closer as friends. She was right there with Neville and Luna in the Department of Mysteries. And she is actually a clever and talented witch. She has guts and attitude. And I think that will make her a good match for Harry. She is not as mothering as Hermione, which is good because on the whole Harry doesn't need it.
I also think that over the course of the books it has been very important for Harry's relationship with Hermione to be free of the kind of drama that romantic feelings produce. Imagine the hardships it might have produced if the problems she has had with Ron had been with Harry instead. After all, in goblet of fire and deathly hallows especially it was when she was having problems with Ron that Harry needed her most.

My favorite relationship, by far, was Remus and Tonks. Nothing about how Remus handled it really surprised me. I had been telling my friends for ages that if Remus was ever in love he would definitely run away. But I was glad that in the end it worked out. Even though he resisted as hard as he could, her love for him and Harry's... words of encouragement... made him ultimately realize that he was better off with his family. I think its a shame that JKR decided to off them, especially because she had initially intended for them to survive. I always though that with his patience, wisdom, and sense of fun Remus would have been a great father. I think that there will always be part of my mind that rejects the Lupins' deaths. I was sad to see may favorite ship, and the life of my favorite character, cut short.

I agree with what you said about Hermione and Ron so much.

I was a little bit surprised with the Ginny and Harry and felt like it wasn't the natural development that Ron and Hermione had. I called the Hermione and Ron thing fairly early. I don't feel like Ginny and Harry are a bad fit, but I feel that it didn't develop in a way that felt natural.

Interesting Seeker

Mr Eddyy

Well I wanted Harry and Hermione to end up together, and for Ron to end up with someone else. Lupin and Tonks were absolutely fabulous together.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
I really like the dynamics between Ron and Hermione. I'm sure they'll never stop fighting but they've got something nice. JKR spent a long time building things up between them..it really took the entire series so i was always expecting them to be together. if they hadn't after all that awkward tension, i would have been disappointed.

harry and ginny... well i was rooting for them in the earlier books. it was cute that ginny had a crush on him. Later on though they became sort of annoying. They didn't really have many cute moments together and they were always blocked by one obstacle or another. Im glad they were together in the end just because of those earlier books. It would have been nice if things had been developed more first though..

lupin and tonks..that was so random. thats nice for them i guess. by personality description they seem cool together. we didnt get to see much between them at all and there are all those sad controversial discussions

a couple i would have really liked to see in the books was luna x neville. I was really really happy about those scenes they tossed into the movie. I think they're perfect together and always thought they would have gotten married in the end.

the weasley parents--most awesome cannon couple ever XD enough said

...draco and that random girl? not cool..i wasn't much of a draco fan but if i was, i'd probably be disappointed that he was just with some random person. i know jkr was trying to make things realistic but still..

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I didn't like either Harry x Ginny & Ron x Hermione.
I prefer Harry & Hermione as friends...I wouldn't mind Harry x Luna but I already like Rolf x Luna too much. I quite like Viktor x Hermione.
Neville x Hannah is too cute!
Didn't like George x Angelina at all.

Dangerous Loiterer

I didn't enjoy Harry and Ginny as a couple because I didn't find it plausible. What makes me less
iffy about Ron and Hermione was that it was obvious throughout the books they knew each other
extremely well; the good times they shared were enough to outweigh the bad when they were at
each other's throat — it was more realistic to me for that reason, in that it felt like a dynamic thing,
like a real relationship where things don't always go perfectly. I never got any indication of that from
Harry and Ginny and, to me, Ginny was a bland and hard-to-like character. Their relationship felt
more like a one-sided crush on Harry's part, and they never seemed to be particularly close. I feel
their relationship was there for the sake of it in the later books because of the need for a bland Sue.

Harry & Ginny dating? Yes. Married? No. Here's why: Harry and Ginny never spent any time alone up until the 6th book if you don't count the Chamber of Secrets scene and Ginny was too scared to talk to Harry anyway. I think as teenagers they were a cute couple, but married? No. I think Harry would have been better off with someone else. Granted he never spent any time with any other girls but Hermione, Parvati, and Cho. So out of the four I suppose Ginny was the most reasonable.

Ron & Hermione: No, no, and NO. They could be good friends at some points but they were almost always on each other about one thing or another. They could never stop fighting and I just don't see how they could have been a happy married couple. I would have cried for joy if Hermione had married Viktor Krum. But again I find myself in a place where I must say that Ron was only ever with Lavender, Hermione, and Padma. Padma=no. Lavender=ABSOLUTELY NOT! Hermione=once again, the most reasonable option.

I think Remus and Tonks were perfect for each other. Nothing more to say about this relationship.

Cho Chang and Cedric Diggory: YES. If Cedric hadn't been murdered they would have been perfect and Harry would have never gotten onto a mess with Cho.

Arthur & Molly Weasley: Yes, absolutely. They're the perfect foil characters. They bring out one anothers' qualities in an enjoyable and funny way.

Okay now my opinion of what SHOULD have been:
Neville & Luna
Seamus & Lavender
Dean & Pavarti
Fred Weasley & Katie Bell (if Fred didn't die)
George Weasley & Alicia Spinnet
Lee Jordan & Angelina Johnson
Cho Chang & Michael Corner

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I always saw that happening, although I was worried that Harry would never really notice Ginny. Lupin + Tonks totally surprised me though.

I always wanted Neville to have someone during his school years, oh well.

Sparkly Genius

9,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Team Edward 100
I like Ron x Hermione and think are a great couple. Harry x Ginny, on the other hand, I don't really like. I think their relationship just wasn't developed enough in the books (and even less in the movies) to convice me. In fact, I've read fanfics where Harry was paired with even less likely characters (such as Draco, Snape, Luna, Lucius, Victor, etc.) that were way more convincing (in my opinion, at least) than Harry's relationship with Ginny in cannon. Maybe if there were more moments bettween them and their relationship was more developed then maybe I would've liked Harry x Ginny more. At it is, though, I just don't really like that pairing.

As for Remus x Tonks, I have mixed feelings about that pairing.

Celestial Spirit

I have to agree the relationship between Ron and Hermione works because it was built up well over the series, and the one between Harry and Ginny was... painful and pointless in my opinion.
But then I'm not really one for romance anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff