Welcome to Gaia! ::

Diamond Bear

so I was thinking about it the other day and I came to the conclusion that Umbridge was a better villain than Voldemort. I think she's more realistic and a lot of people really friggin hate her.

She may not have killed people like Voldemort did but she was a generally unpleasant person and very twisted (such as when she made Harry write 'I must not tell lies' with the blood quill).

do you agree/disagree?

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image
"Voldemort was a better villain, but I hated Umbridge. Voldemort did evil for the sake of evil, Umbridge did evil for the sake of what she twistedly thought was right."
User Image
I certainly think Umbridge was a highly interesting character. I really liked her. Not as a person, exactly, but she sure made book five really fun to read.
I loved, loved Umbridge as a villain. She's a big part of the reason Order of the Phoenix is my favorite book of the series. And she couldn't have been more perfectly cast in the films.

I always hated Snape. I was supposed to. But I guess I never really saw him as a villain.

Celestial Spirit

Good question. Umbridge creeps me out more because people like that can get away with abusing their power far too often. But I wouldn't say the issue with Voldemort is that he's "unrealistic" as such - sociopaths are unfortunately quite real. They're just less common than dangerous zealots.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Umbridge is like a really stinky cheese. Good in certain doses, but had she been around longer I don't think the love/hate would be there, it would be just the hate/hate which gets the book thrown in the recycle bin. Voldemort was more tolerable for longer periods of time.

Seeker

I loved Voldemort as a villain, but there's no doubt that Umbridge was the most hated of the "bad guys".
And even if she was unpleasant and twisted, I don't see her as a potential leader of an extreme group, like Voldemort...
Also, how is she more 'realistic' than Voldemort? They're both magical, so..

Hygienic Genius

Agreed. My sister and I have always said Umbridge is the scariest person in the movies, with Barty Crouch Jr a close second
ninja

Liberal Gekko

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Junior Trader 100
Eh, I like both of them. Umbridge is the type of person you can find anywhere. Most people love to abuse power. I'm no saint, I know I would.
I think that as you get older, Umbridge gradually has more of an effect than Voldemort, because you come to fear different things. When you're a kid, a more fairy tale-like villain, such as Voldemort, who is almost all-powerful, and seems to be everywhere, and who can never die, seems much scarier, but as you grow up, you start to realize that Umbridge is much more real, and that makes her scarier. Because there aren't a lot of near-immortal wizards out there, but we all know that there are people who are only truly happy when hurting and humiliating everyone around them, who would do just about anything for power, and who will hide all their cruelty behind saccharine smiles.

Or at least, that's my experience.

Bashful Entrepreneur

5,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
Umbridge would drive Voldemort nuts if they came face to face. It's why when I see a fanfiction that puts Umbridge as a death eater I can't read it. She's so bad, even Voldemort wants to kill her.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
I thinks she was more abusive than a villain.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
CoderSpider
Umbridge would drive Voldemort nuts if they came face to face. It's why when I see a fanfiction that puts Umbridge as a death eater I can't read it. She's so bad, even Voldemort wants to kill her.
Na he would just avada kadavara her if she pissed him off too much or something. He is more powerful than she is.

Bashful Entrepreneur

5,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
FirstBornTriplet
CoderSpider
Na he would just avada kadavara her if she pissed him off too much or something. He is more powerful than she is.

Exactly!! She'd piss him off and BAM Umbridge be eating dirt. They couldn't survive around each other.

Omnipresent Genius

15,075 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
I don't know about "better"...they're too different kinds of villains. Two different planes. They're both really good characters and really good villains. The awful thing about Umbridge is that you know people like that exist, and you've probably seen them, and she's a member of the government and you can't do a goddamn thing about it. Voldemort, though, is purely made of magic and isn't human at all...so he's kind of less...well, I don't want to say less "scary" because that's not quite true, but you know what I mean?

It's just kind of tough to compare the two because they're so different.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff