Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
dang i never even knew snape had that problem. a valid argument with good evidence

Celestial Spirit

XxRainflowerxX
Sianserais
XxRainflowerxX
He has brown eyes in the book, and sometimes and naturally, brown eyes appear very dark without any disease/syndrome or birth defect.

Like me, my eyes are so brown that sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between my pupil and the colour around it, but I know it's not black because it's genetically impossible for any human to have black eyes.

Well, we do often call dark brown hair 'black,' so I don't know why we can't call eyes that tend to look black... black. Which is exactly what I assumed Rowling intended in this case.

Really? That's strange because in the scene where Snape dies and asks Harry to collect the memories coming out of his neck, it said this in the book: "The green pair met the brown." Or something like that (i don't have good memory) but it's about harry's green eyes meeting snape's brown eyes as he looks at him. Like, the word 'brown' was used to describe snape's eyes.

I'm not sure why it's strange that I agreed with you that brown eyes can look black. But Snape's eyes are in fact said to be "black" in the first book.

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100
Sianserais
XxRainflowerxX
He has brown eyes in the book, and sometimes and naturally, brown eyes appear very dark without any disease/syndrome or birth defect.

Like me, my eyes are so brown that sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between my pupil and the colour around it, but I know it's not black because it's genetically impossible for any human to have black eyes.

Well, we do often call dark brown hair 'black,' so I don't know why we can't call eyes that tend to look black... black. Which is exactly what I assumed Rowling intended in this case.

Really? That's strange because in the scene where Snape dies and asks Harry to collect the memories coming out of his neck, it said this in the book: "The green pair met the brown." Or something like that (i don't have good memory) but it's about harry's green eyes meeting snape's brown eyes as he looks at him. Like, the word 'brown' was used to describe snape's eyes.

Celestial Spirit

XxRainflowerxX

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100

Newbie Noob

3,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
Beady eyes, or contacts..
i guess its naturally black... unique.. smile
I personally think he was born that way. I've met people with dark eyes like that smile

Witty Shapeshifter

I think if that were the case, there would have been something about it in the books, you know, something subtle but obvious if you know to look for it. Like with the Twilight books people kept calling Jacob and his group werewolves, even though there was a whole back story about them being a sort of shape-shifters.. of coarse then there is the thing where fans still called them werewolves, even though the last book strait out says they aren't. There just isn't anything to my recollection to suggest your theory is true.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Gaian 50
I would be very surprised if this was the case because even though he spent a great deal of his time in the dungeons he never showed any aversion to bright light of any kind. He even refereed a quidditch match, which would have undoubtedly bothered him if he had a problem like that.
But it is an interesting idea. I like to hear different perspectives on the characters. It is always interesting.
Some people just have really dark eyes. Like me!

Dapper Lunatic

AAlthough after his exam he chose to go outside with all the other students too...
If he was photophobic he would have gone back to the common room to look over his exam...
Just saying...

Celestial Spirit

Interesting thought. It's certainly possible it was an accidental association, though.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
He could have also been an extremely tall midget.
Could it be that he had aniridia? (And since you shouldn't trust wikipedia too much, here's another source)

It's an eye condition usually connected to poor vision and aversion to light. I came across the wiki article by chance and you know.... it sort of fits. When he wrote his OWLs he had his face so close to the paper that his nose almost touched it (then again, with that nose...) and he is usually associated with skulking around in the underground dungeons or at nightly patrols. We certainly never saw him sun bathing at any rate wink

Anyway, just some speculation. It makes more sense than the romanticised "If a love interest only gazes into his eyes long enough they'll appear to be beautiful dark brown", or any such sap.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff