Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Friend

User Image
You take the breath right out of me.
You left a hole where my heart should be.

ςɦɾɣʂαɳȶɧʂ
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I hate the fandom. We have a tenancy of ignoring horrible character traits and making these people out to be better than they are.

Snape and Lupin are the best examples.

Snape tried to get a childhood enemy (that he was fully aware was innocent) kissed by a Dementor, and basically sucked up to Fudge for an Order of Merlin.

Lupin: Neglected to talk about hidden Hogwarts passageways and that Snuffles was a dog animagi. If Sirius Black really were a murderer, Harry would have died.

This is just in book three, by the way. Not even going into Snape's refusal to get the Order to go to the Ministry earlier (OotP), or Lupin's abandonment of his wife and unborn son (DH).

Why do we like these characters again?
lol

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
{Questy!}

You got to fight just to make it through,
'cause I will be the death of you.
For real.
I think I'm the only person in the HP fandom who kinda hates Snape.
emotion_eyebrow

Devoted Friend

Ashspoon
For real.
I think I'm the only person in the HP fandom who kinda hates Snape.
emotion_eyebrow

People always reference that Snape is not Alan Rickman. He's not a sex icon, nor an honorable man. He's not even a jerk with a heart of gold.

He's just a selfish man who is on the side of Dumbledore.

Nothing more, nothing less.

At least that's what I think. sweatdrop

Witty Warrior

I don't think the problem is that people like these characters, the problem is that people ignore their flaws. Someone doesn't have to be a good person to be a good character.

The problem is the type of fan who thinks Snape just needed a hug and that Lily is a b***h for not choosing him even though he called her a racial slur, etc etc.

So I don't mind that people like characters who aren't good people, but I do mind when the fans defend the messed up stuff those not-good people do.

Devoted Friend

Zero_unit Kouya
I don't think the problem is that people like these characters, the problem is that people ignore their flaws. Someone doesn't have to be a good person to be a good character.

The problem is the type of fan who thinks Snape just needed a hug and that Lily is a b***h for not choosing him even though he called her a racial slur, etc etc.

So I don't mind that people like characters who aren't good people, but I do mind when the fans defend the messed up stuff those not-good people do.

I'm sorry. The last line kinda threw off my reasoning.

Yeah, I agree. The fact that he accidentally called her Mudblood implied he was calling SOMEONE Mudblood. I don't think I've ever read a b***h!Lily in anything other than WBWL fics.

I am suddenly reminded of Edward Cullen, but that is off topic.

Witty Warrior

chrysanths

Yeah, I agree. The fact that he accidentally called her Mudblood implied he was calling SOMEONE Mudblood. I don't think I've ever read a b***h!Lily in anything other than WBWL fics.

I haven't seen it in fic, but I've seen it in a lot of pro-Snape meta and fan talk. And of course, a lot of Snape stans bash James constantly too.

Lol why Edward?

Devoted Friend

Zero_unit Kouya
chrysanths

I haven't seen it in fic, but I've seen it in a lot of pro-Snape meta and fan talk. And of course, a lot of Snape stans bash James constantly too.

Lol why Edward?

Like... Lily wanted Snape until James dosed her with love potion?

Stalking, *****, emotional and physical abuse, emotional manipulation, and general bullying.
And he's the main "hero".

Witty Warrior

chrysanths

Stalking, *****, emotional and physical abuse, emotional manipulation, and general bullying.

I dunno about the love potion thing. Just people who always say that James is the reason Snape is went darkside and that James is worse than Snape because of all the things that he did, which just isn't how it works.

And yeah. Twilight is just one huge lump of problematic things marketed as romance.

Devoted Friend

Zero_unit Kouya
chrysanths

I dunno about the love potion thing. Just people who always say that James is the reason Snape is went darkside and that James is worse than Snape because of all the things that he did, which just isn't how it works.

And yeah. Twilight is just one huge lump of problematic things marketed as romance.

Oh, that was just an example on how people hand wave these ideas in fanfiction.

And pixies! lol

Witty Warrior

chrysanths

HP fanfic is a scary place. I haven't read one in almost two years because I gave up on finding anything quality.

Devoted Friend

Zero_unit Kouya
chrysanths

HP fanfic is a scary place. I haven't read one in almost two years because I gave up on finding anything quality.

I hunt every day. User Image

I love finding an obscure fanfiction that is better than expected.

Witty Warrior

chrysanths

I'm sure I'll wander back to HP fic eventually, but right now I have other fandoms that I can read stuff for.

Devoted Friend

Zero_unit Kouya
chrysanths

I'm sure I'll wander back to HP fic eventually, but right now I have other fandoms that I can read stuff for.

Kay. Lemme know if you ever need a suggestion.

Witty Warrior

chrysanths

Kay. Lemme know if you ever need a suggestion.

Thanks, will do (:

Wench

Regarding Lupin, why does he never once try and check up on Harry? Is it because he doesn't know about his situations & blindly trusts Dumbledore or he just doesn't care?

I mean, if it was my best friend's son...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff