Unicorn 0.39751552795031 39.8% [ 64 ]
Dragon 0.27950310559006 28.0% [ 45 ]
Phoenix 0.28571428571429 28.6% [ 46 ]
Other 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I don't know... 0.037267080745342 3.7% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 161 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

My friends and I have been comparing wands, and it's a lot of fun. :3

Once you have your wand, get its length, rigidity/flexibility, wood, and core. Read up on the wood and core in particular, and post what it says about you and your wand's relationship.

Length: 14 1/2 in
Flexibility:Unyielding
Wood:Laurel
Core:Unicorn

Slightly above average length, probably because I'm slightly above average in height more than having a large personality... 'Unyielding' seems pretty fitting. Unicorn cores and laurel woods both tend to bond strongly with their first owner. Also, laurel wands will sometimes shoot lighting at people if they try to steal them. My wand has a personal security system. Booyah.

Dapper Prophet

6,000 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Length:
13 3/4 in

Wood:
Laurel

Core:
Unicorn

Flexibility:
Hard

Shirtless Initiate

12,050 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
Length: 11 1/2 inches
Flexibility: Reasonably supple
Wood: Cyprus
Core: Unicorn hair

From the Harry Potter Wiki:
Quote:
Cypress is associated with valour. The great medieval wandmaker, Geraint Ollivander, wrote that he was always honoured to match a cypress wand, for he knew he was meeting a witch or wizard who would die a heroic death.[2]

Fortunately, in these less blood-thirsty times, the possessors of cypress wands are rarely called upon to lay down their lives, though doubtless many of them would do so if required. Wands of cypress find their soul mates among the brave, the bold and the self-sacrificing: those who are unafraid to confront the shadows in their own and others’ natures.

I don't think I like my wood description. Die a heroic death? Doing what? Escaping from my enemies? rofl I don't know if I'm the type to sacrifice myself for others... I suppose there are exceptions. I wouldn't say my current partner is self-sacrificing but I suppose in a broad way brave and bold work. "Unafraid to confront the shadows in their own and others' natures" fits quite well though.

11 1/2 inches seems standard -ish. So I'm average?
Reasonably supple seems right as well. Sometimes I'm hardheaded and wont change but I don't usually stick to that for long. Usually I'm happy to change provided there is reason or evidence to do so.
As for unicorn hair... I like it I suppose. Is it least likely to be interested in the dark arts or least like to "go to the dark side?" If it's the former, it's completely wrong, but if it's the latter I can accept that if it doesn't mean I can't dabble. I'd love to at least learn a bout it and perhaps try a few things. emotion_awesome

Beloved Lunatic

Alder, Unicorn core, twelve and a quarter inches, slightly springy.

Wood: "Alder is an unyielding wood, yet I have discovered that its ideal owner is not stubborn or obstinate, but often helpful, considerate and most likeable. Whereas most wand woods seek similarity in the characters of those they will best serve, alder is unusual in that it seems to desire a nature that is, if not precisely opposite to its own, then certainly of a markedly different type. When an alder wand is happily placed, it becomes a magnificent, loyal helpmate. Of all wand types, alder is best suited to non-verbal spell work, whence comes its reputation for being suitable only for the most advanced witches and wizards."

Core: "Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.

Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing."

Im not sure about how compatible me and my wand are (I am far from being skillful in dueling and spells, but I am more quiet, so that might be that...), but I love the core. When ever I took
a quiz, I always got Unicorn and was absolutly gleeful when I got it as a core.
(I noticed a lot of Hufflepuffs, like myself, and many Ravenclaws get Unicorn cores. I suppose
it has to do with personality.)

Tipsy Bookworm

11 inches, Yew, Phoenix Feather, Surprisingly Swishy
((According to HP Wiki))
Yew wands are among the rarer kinds, and their ideal matches are likewise unusual, and occasionally notorious. The wand of yew is reputed to endow its possessor with the power of life and death, which might, of course, be said of all wands; and yet yew retains a particularly dark and fearsome reputation in the spheres of duelling and all curses.[2]
However, it is untrue to say (as those unlearned in wandlore often do) that those who use yew wands are more likely to be attracted to the Dark Arts than another. The witch or wizard best suited to a yew wand might equally prove a fierce protector of others.[2]

Wands hewn from these most long-lived trees have been found in the possession of heroes quite as often as of villains. Where wizards have been buried with wands of yew, the wand generally sprouts into a tree guarding the dead owner’s grave. What is certain is that the yew wand never chooses either a mediocre or a timid owner.[2]

This is one of the rarest core types. Phoenix feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches and wizards dislike.[1]
Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won.[1]

7,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
11 inches, dogwood, phoenix core. I don't remember the flexibility of my wand, but it's pretty flexible if I can recall.

It fits me. I have some dogwood out in the front yard that I can make a wand out of, woo.

Mhavaris's Bae

High-functioning Zealot

Length: 13 inches
Flexibility: Rigid
Wood: Poplar
Core: Dragon

Wood:
Quote:
“If you seek integrity, search first among the poplars,” was a great maxim of Gerbold Ollivander, a saying that Garrick Ollivander supports based on his experience of poplar wands and their owners. It is said to be a wand to rely upon, of consistency, strength and uniform power, always happiest when working with a witch or wizard of clear moral vision.[2]
There is a tired old joke among lesser wandmakers that no poplar wand has ever chosen a politician, but here they show their lamentable ignorance: two of the Ministry’s most accomplished Ministers for Magic, Eldritch Diggory and Evangeline Orpington, were the possessors of fine, Ollivander-made poplar wands.[2]

Core:
Quote:
As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power , and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner.[1]
The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental. It also tends to be lethally hazardous if combined with certain woods. [1]

Sources from HP Wiki

Greedy Capitalist

Length: 13 inches

Wood: English Oak

Core: Phoenix Feather

Flexibility: Slightly Springy

I've got a rare core with exceptional magic that tends to act on its own at times. ******** yeah ;D

5,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Trader 100
Length:
10 3/4 in

Wood:
Pear
Quote:
This golden-toned wood produces wands of splendid magical powers, which give of their best in the hands of the warm-hearted, the generous and the wise. Possessors of pear wands are, in my experience, usually popular and well-respected. I do not know of a single instance where a pear wand has been discovered in the possession of a Dark witch or wizard. Pear wands are among the most resilient, and I have often observed that they may still present a remarkable appearance of newness, even after many years of hard use.

Core:
Unicorn
Quote:

Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.

Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing.

Flexibility:
Surprisingly Swishy

Questionable Worker

8,575 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Spruce and unicorn hair, 14 1/2 inches, surprisingly swishy.

Well, I'm flexible, so that fits, quite tall, and with a fairly out there personality so I guess that's why it's so long. I'm loyal and prefer to fight on the side of good, so unicorn hair makes sense.

And here's what Pottermore says about my wood type. 4laugh

Spruce

Unskilled wandmakers call spruce a difficult wood, but in doing so they reveal their own ineptitude. It is quite true that it requires particular deftness to work with spruce, which produces wands that are ill-matched with cautious or nervous natures, and become positively dangerous in fumbling fingers. The spruce wand requires a firm hand, because it often appears to have its own ideas about what magic it ought to be called upon to produce. However, when a spruce wand meets its match - which, in my experience, is a bold spell-caster with a good sense of humour - it becomes a superb helper, intensely loyal to their owners and capable of producing particularly flamboyant and dramatic effects.

High-functioning Witch

37,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Beta Gaian 0
User Image
Length:
10 in
(I knew I shouldn't have said I'm short.)

Wood:
Redwood
"Wand-quality redwood is in short supply, yet constant demand, due to its reputation for bringing good fortune to its owner. As is usually the case with wandlore, the general populace have the truth back to front: redwood wands are not themselves lucky, but are strongly attracted to witches and wizards who already possess the admirable ability to fall on their feet, to make the right choice, to snatch advantage from catastrophe. The combination of such a witch or wizard with a redwood wand is always intriguing, and I generally expect to hear of exciting exploits when I send this special pairing out from my workshop."

Core:
Unicorn

Flexibility:
Unyielding

Siege Machine's Subordinate

Shirtless Lover

Length: 12 1/2 inches

Core: Dragon

Wood: Maple

Flexibility: Slightly Springy

Shy Noob

Length: 14 1/4 in
Wood:Hornbeam
Core:Unicorn hair
Flexibility:Slightly Springy

from hp wiki;

wood
Quote:
Hornbeam selects for its life mate the talented witch or wizard with a single, pure passion, which some might call obsession - more kindly - vision, which will almost always be realised. Hornbeam wands adapt more quickly than almost any other to their owner’s style of magic, and will become so personalised, so quickly, that other people will find them extremely difficult to use even for the most simple of spells.

core
Quote:
Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.
Length: 12 1/2 in
Wood:Alder
Core: Phoenix feather
Flexibility:Surprisingly Swishy

Questionable Worker

8,575 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Mine seems to be the longest, so far.

Well, at least I have something to offer the ladies. wink

Quick Reply