Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the relationship parts. They were funny and entertaining.

But if I had to choose which aspect I'd want the movie to center on more...I'd choose to center more on Dumbledore and less on the romance. The movie decided to go the other way, which was disappointing for me.

It was Dumbledore's last movie, you know? I needed my fill and I didn't quuuuite get it!
I actually liked the relationship bits too.

I just mentally replaced Harry with Luna.
Well, we do get uh... phantom ghost Dumbledore with half-dead-Harry and Voldemort-fetus.

Maybe, that is.

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
Spiral Out
Well, we do get uh... phantom ghost Dumbledore with half-dead-Harry and Voldemort-fetus.

Maybe, that is.

Stress on the 'maybe'....
I really wouldn't mind if that scene was cut ninja
The 7 Harrys will be interesting.
I feel they will not be quite as nude as in the book.
The main thing that made the relationship stuff intolerable for me was how it was presented, which plays in part to how the music was executed. The movie was literally, half romantic comedy, half action thriller. Let's look at the movie in recap:

You have about fifteen minutes of unexplained action, and you wouldn't understand any of it if you weren't a Harry Potter fan. There is no backstory given at ALL in the movie. After that, you roughly over an hour of Ron and Lavender (who was very incorrectly portrayed-- She was creepier than s**t, not really annoying) making Hermione upset, and Harry and Ginny starting to come together. Honestly, about halfway through, I forgot I was watching Harry Potter entirely. I felt like I was watching He's Just Not That Into You, or some other B-rated chick flick. The added burning of the burrow was absolutely unnecessary, except to one means that the director wanted to capitalize-- Suspense. We had Harry in a dangerous spot with Death Eaters, plus his pair for the movie, Ginny, meaning that he'd be in a position where he would have to save her. Maybe it's just the characters involved with that scene (Fenrir "Dangerous Werewolf" Greyback, Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange, Harry Protagonist Potter, Ginny Save Me Weasley), or the setting (a field in the middle of nowhere), or the really shoddy acting, but it seemed like a rip straight from Twilight, except Robert Pattinson is dead. So, in short, the main events of the first hour and fifteen minutes is: Slughorn returns to Hogwarts, Slughorn introduces the students to the love potion and Felix Felicis, Ron becomes a Quidditch star and gets himself a girlfriend, Hermione is jealous of Ron and Lavender; Harry and Ginny, Ron is knocked out and says Hermione's name in his sleep which ticks Lavender off, Harry/Ginny strengthens with the burning of the Burrow. Also, the incredibly unnecessary addition of the Draco subplot you're not supposed to know about till the end. That was simply unforgivably pointless. They used four shots and six minutes to explain what Draco could have just said in one or two sentences at the climax... like he did in the book.

From the point where they start examining Slughorn's memory, the movie takes a turn for the acton. Almost none of the pairings are even so much as referenced to. Now Harry has to be Dumbledore's little busybody. He gets the memory, they delve into Voldemort's past (albeit skin deep) and get ready to find the Horcrux. Insert twenty minutes of Horcrux scene, finally a little magic, and then we're back at Hogwarts for a watered down climax with overall weak acting. By this point, it's very obvious Snape's role in the next movies, as well as his role to Dumbledore, due to various hints peppered through the movie which spoiled the overall feel of the ending.

Now you can just see, in size, which part of the movie had the greater influence-- the part that didn't matter as much! In the book, the same sort of thing was written in, but it was executed in a way so that the two naturally flowed together. It'd be like, "Plotplotplotplotplot oh, Harry making out with Ginny ploootplotplot." Why that simply couldn't be translated to film similarly, and why the two parts had to be absolutely juxtaposed, I have no idea.

[/rant]
Funny, I don't remember seeing any more of Draco than we should have. Harry kept running into him, suspecting him, spying on him, etc and then he admits everything in the end to Dumbledore as he realizes he's too much of a wuss to kill him. That's how it happened in the book, isn't it? Unless you count the few extra clips of him looking angry and angsty.

I honestly don't know where you're getting the bad acting thing from, and comparing it to Twilight is just an open invitation for you to get bitched at, because the two have nothing in common.

I think the relationship aspect was done nicely, and each of them was a lot more acceptable than they ever were in the books. I found book Lavender to be just annoying, not overly "creepy," and felt she was portrayed in a way that was quite faithful to how I read her in the book.

I don't think that HBP is probably the strongest statement as a movie, it seems more like a segue to Deathly Hallows. If you look at the movies and the books separately (as you should, because no movie can ever live up to a book, unless it's 8 hours long), HPB flows nicely with the movie series. I think it's actually a testament to the actor's ability, because Order of the Phoenix was so damn angsty and serious, it was very refreshing to see them act more like the teenagers they are. On the flip side, for the first time instead of being comedic relief and a generic bully, Tom Felton actually gets a chance to work out genuine emotions with Draco.

I hope I don't flat out insult you, but it just seems like your expectations were too high. Each of the movies has changed and outright removed portions of the book that are paramount to the way the written series plays out. Why should this movie be any different?
Feh, you can't argue the movie like that. "In the book" this and "in the book" that. We've known for five films that no HP film is ever going to follow the books to the spine, and frankly, if they did, they'd be appealing to a very much smaller audience. The movies have to make sense for people who don't read the books, and from what I've heard from my friend who has read absolutely none of them, it all made perfect sense. In the OotP film, the idea that the Death Eaters pretty much stopped giving a ******** about being all out and open, so the so called "confusing" action right away in the beginning makes more than enough sense. The dark mark in the sky ought to have been hint enough. I don't think movie-only HP fans are as stupid as you're making them out to be.

I don't recall Ginny being totally and utterly helpless as you imply, either. Yes, she was saved in one moment, but in essence, so was Harry... twice... by Ginny.

The romance stuff was nice because, unlike the book, and very much unlike Twilight, there was actually chemistry, and a build up towards affection. It wasn't quite as out of the blue as I felt it was in the book.. Especially Ginny/Harry.

Additionally, actors like Daniel Radcliffe and Tom Felton seemed to improve magnificently, and they were both more than entertaining. Draco's little plight was good to see as it built up because it actually incites pity for him. If you hadn't seen that, you'd be like "DAGH, THAT DERN MALFOY, ALWAYS UP TO NO GOOD, THAT ONE." We wouldn't have gotten as clear a look at his feelings regarding what he was expected to do if they wouldn't have prefaced that because the movies CANNOT do what the books do--there are no whispers of narration telling us exactly how to read a character.
Spiral Out
(as you should, because no movie can ever live up to a book, unless it's 8 hours long)
In which case it would be a Stephen King movie.
Dimmer Meerkat
The romance stuff was nice because, unlike the book, and very much unlike Twilight, there was actually chemistry, and a build up towards affection. It wasn't quite as out of the blue as I felt it was in the book.. Especially Ginny/Harry.

Lest we forget the similarities that book-Harry actually does have to everyone's favorite sparkly vampire.

"GRRRRRR, ME HARRY. ME WANT GINNY. ME DON'T KNOW WHY. CHEST MONSTER. RAAAAAAAAAR"

*MAKES OUT WITH*

"ANGST OVER, YAAAY!"

At least there's flirting and actual interest in the build up, instead of "Gee I'm so uncontrollably drawn to this person and I'm not going to list any reasons why, ever. Also Chest Monster. No one can argue with that!"
Dimmer Meerkat
Spiral Out
(as you should, because no movie can ever live up to a book, unless it's 8 hours long)
The Dune Miniseries was... 5-6 hours? Left out about half of the details in the book.
Spiral Out
Dimmer Meerkat
Spiral Out
The Dune Miniseries was... 5-6 hours? Left out about half of the details in the book.
Those kinds of movies never make it in to theatres either. Pretty much TV only.
Maybe I misinterpreted my opinion earlier-- I am looking at the movies as separate from the book. That's one of the reasons I am so disappointed. What with Draco in the Room of Requirement every twenty minutes, they were spoon-feeding us the ending a half hour into the movie. As far as the acting is concerned, I think almost everyone completely dropped the ball. There were a few strong parts for a handful of characters, but it did not feel one bit like they were doing the best they could. Yes, even Alan Rickman. As Spiral Out said, it was simply a segue to Deathly Hallows. The director was not looking to make a quality movie, he was making a two-and-a-half-hour-long hook for the next two movies, and that's the very part that I think is disgusting. You can disagree with me all you want, but that movie is everything but something I'd ever want to relive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff