Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image
"So we know from the last book that a word can be banned and someone who uses that word can be magically detected, in the same vein as an underage wizard doing magic.

So why can't they just ban the unforgivable curses?"
User Image

Anxious Regular

For all that wizards abhor or put restrictions on certain things they're fearful of or opposed to... they sure to seem to operate on more of a trust system than anything. "NOBODY says this thing because it is just a bad thing!" And then when somebody says that thing they're always so surprised.

I think wizards don't think logically because in most cases they don't have to - and in some cases I think their critical thinking is even discouraged because of the weird logic that some magic uses. Magic is good, and magic solves their problems as those problems arise. Why worry about any more than that, I guess, the little goofballs.

Intoxious's Bae

Naughty Witch

17,950 Points
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Budding Witch 250
Prite-chan
For all that wizards abhor or put restrictions on certain things they're fearful of or opposed to... they sure to seem to operate on more of a trust system than anything. "NOBODY says this thing because it is just a bad thing!" And then when somebody says that thing they're always so surprised.

I think wizards don't think logically because in most cases they don't have to - and in some cases I think their critical thinking is even discouraged because of the weird logic that some magic uses. Magic is good, and magic solves their problems as those problems arise. Why worry about any more than that, I guess, the little goofballs.

Y-Your reasoning...
YOU SHOULD BE PRAISED!!! emotion_kirakira

Anxious Regular

Demonic Musings
Y-Your reasoning...
YOU SHOULD BE PRAISED!!! emotion_kirakira

A-ah! Really...?! whee

I focused on the innocent bystander types, but I forgot to add that once or twice we saw that some of the bureaucratic types, who comprise a large part of English wizarding society and who by and large consider themselves to be "good", were able to justify using those curses for what they thought were "good" purposes. If they didn't have access to them they'd have to rely on lesser (and less effective) measures; if they were detected using them when they weren't supposed to be by someone not in the fold, it could cause a big scandal. Wizard politics being kinda corrupt anyway sorta makes me think that even if they logic'd their way to banning the curses in such a manner, they still wouldn't do it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff