Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Casual Vacancy

Not going to bother with it 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 8 ]
Read it and like it 0.20588235294118 20.6% [ 7 ]
Read it and am indifferent 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Read it and dislike it 0.029411764705882 2.9% [ 1 ]
Haven't read it yet but probably will in the future 0.52941176470588 52.9% [ 18 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
1 2 >

Married Werewolf

I am still waiting for my copy from Amazon, but I was just wondering if anyone is going to read/has read JKR's new book.
Please place all spoilers (basically any plot points from the book) in spoiler tags. I am sure many people have not read it yet.
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Devoted Friend

I had no idea she had a new book.

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100
Hmm...I badly want to read it, because she's one of my favourite authors, and she wrote the potter series really well, but then again...I heard it's an adult book that contains all these inappropriate stuff that children shouldn't read =.= I'm 13 btw so I'm not sure whether or not I should be reading it :/

Married Werewolf

XxRainflowerxX
Hmm...I badly want to read it, because she's one of my favourite authors, and she wrote the potter series really well, but then again...I heard it's an adult book that contains all these inappropriate stuff that children shouldn't read =.= I'm 13 btw so I'm not sure whether or not I should be reading it :/

Well if it helps after I read it I can let you know whether I think you ought to wait. Or rather I will let u know whether I would let my 13-year-old little cousin read it. 3nodding
XxRainflowerxX

You're old enough to read it =]
I read it when I was 7 yrs old and I know many people my age who read it when they were very young.
I wanted to, but then I read the synopsis, and it sounded painfully boring. So I decided against it.

Married Werewolf

shiori355
XxRainflowerxX

I read it when I was 7 yrs old and I know many people my age who read it when they were very young.
we are talking about the casual vacancy, not the potter series. because the casual vacancy is for an older audience

Married Werewolf

Hagedis
I wanted to, but then I read the synopsis, and it sounded painfully boring. So I decided against it.

I have not actually read the synopsis because I want to go into it without any preconceived notions. if that makes any sense.
Remus Moony J Lupin
Hagedis

I have not actually read the synopsis because I want to go into it without any preconceived notions. if that makes any sense.

That makes plenty of sense. C:
But yeah, from what I gathered form the synopsis, it's not a story that really captivates me. I might get around to reading it at some point, but I definitely won't rush to do so.
Let me know what you think of it when you're done though.

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100
Remus Moony J Lupin
XxRainflowerxX

Well if it helps after I read it I can let you know whether I think you ought to wait. Or rather I will let u know whether I would let my 13-year-old little cousin read it. 3nodding

Both sounds good biggrin
The thing is, I don't mind blood or gore in stories, but what really gets me, is spiritual stuff, or things strange about a character's state of mind. Once I read about this character (Eliza) who would spilt her day up into segiments, and do an activity for one or two segiments of the day, then move onto something else almost immediately, and she values time more then anything. For some reason I got quite creeped out by that and couldn't get it out of my mind before I went to sleep :/

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100
shiori355
XxRainflowerxX

Um, are you talking about the Harry Potter series?
Because I was actually referring to J.K Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy, and how I wanted to read it because I've read and love her harry potter books, and I'm curious about her new book, but I heard it's not for children :/

Married Werewolf

XxRainflowerxX

I got my book today and I am about forty pages into it and already I can tell you that you will need to wait a while to read it. The subject matter will be frightfully dull for someone as young as you and just the cursing in the book is enough to make it inappropriate for a 13-year-old.
On top of those things there are themes of death and sexuality that are definitely more involved than a young teen should be dealing with.
When they said she was writing a novel for adults, they meant it.

And honestly, if this book was written by someone else I wouldn't mind all of that personally, as an adult, but I'm used to the whimisical, albeit somewhat dark way she wrote Harry Potter and this book, having been written by JK Rowling, makes me feel the way I felt the first time I heard my grandmother use vulgar expletives. :'(

Aged Gaian

8,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
I may read it in the future, but right now I don't want to.

Dedicated Lunatic

17,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Over Easy 100
Remus Moony J Lupin
XxRainflowerxX

I got my book today and I am about forty pages into it and already I can tell you that you will need to wait a while to read it. The subject matter will be frightfully dull for someone as young as you and just the cursing in the book is enough to make it inappropriate for a 13-year-old.
On top of those things there are themes of death and sexuality that are definitely more involved than a young teen should be dealing with.
When they said she was writing a novel for adults, they meant it.

And honestly, if this book was written by someone else I wouldn't mind all of that personally, as an adult, but I'm used to the whimisical, albeit somewhat dark way she wrote Harry Potter and this book, having been written by JK Rowling, makes me feel the way I felt the first time I heard my grandmother use vulgar expletives. :'(

Ah, thanks. smile I see what you mean, looks like I'm probs going to have to wait for quite a while until I read it -.-
Oh well, thanks for your detailed review/explanation of the book, it really helps smile

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Hagedis

This

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces