Welcome to Gaia! ::

so what do you think of Fred and Georges accidental accomplishment?

LOLOL no way thats amazing! 0.62371134020619 62.4% [ 121 ]
wait huh? 0.11855670103093 11.9% [ 23 ]
oh i never realized! 0.19587628865979 19.6% [ 38 ]
thats stupid.. 0.061855670103093 6.2% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 194 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
kagutuchi
In the first book, one of Dudley's friends, Piers Polkiss, is described as having a rat-like face.

Peter Pettigrew, with the same initials as Piers Polkiss, has the animagus form of a rat.
ooh i wonder if JKR did it on purpose or if she subconsciously has something with double P names

Demonic Pumpkin

9,975 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
And rats perhaps?

Maddy's Husband

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
The Blind Squirrel
I've jsut finished re-reading them
And when I started I'd just gone on a health kick,
and all i could think was all these wizards should be obese! they are always eating! and not just like little things, but fatty not so good food....
I was shocked at how much food is mentioned in the books

It's rarely HEALTHY food, at that.
Fleur complained that Hogwarts served "HEAVY" food and she wasn't kidding.
The only kid who ever made a point of healthy snacks that we know of was Hermione.
Since both her parents are dentists, this makes sense for her, at least.

Maddy's Husband

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
Gilchrist.Roznyai.Diarmid
I SO VERY----- I
Sianserais
I SO VERY----- I
Sianserais
I SO VERY----- I
nah, i just read it yesterday--his father comes out first in the book (maybe not the movie?) and says "your mother is coming. She wants to see you"

Not in my copy it doesn't. You had me confused, so I looked it up before I posted.
Maybe the mistake was caught and fixed later?

"The smoky shadow of a young woman with long hair fell to the ground as Bertha had done, straightened up, and looked at him... and Harry, his arms shaking madly now, looked back into the ghostly face of his mother.
"Your father's coming..." she said quietly. "Hold on for your father... it will be all right... hold on...."
And he came... first his head, then his body... tall and untidy-haired like Harry, the smoky, shadowy form of James Potter blossomed from the end of Voldemort's wand, fell to the ground, and straightened like his wife." - 2002 paperback copy

What does yours say?

OMG!!! WEIRD! NO WAY!! lol that is awesome.. lets see..mine..JULY 2000 - HARDCOVER

"The smoky shadow of a tall man with untidy hair fell to the ground as Berthda had done. Straightend up and looked at him..and Harry, his arms shaking madly now looked back into the ghostly face of his father.

"your mother's coming" he said quietly. "she wants to see you..it will be alright.. hold on.."

"and she came..first her head, then her body.. a young woman with long ahir, the smoky, shadowy form of lily potter blossomed from the end of Voldermort's wand, fell to the ground and straightened like her husband.. page 667 in my hardcover book

--
so its basically the same text with the parent swapped--crazy XD

That's got to be it then. I know some other book I own has a note in the beginning saying that certain mistakes had been corrected in that edition, but they apparently didn't bother here. Silly editors, confusing us!

Thats so cool! I've seen little mistakes in books before but I never heard of newer versions with corrections. Lol wow..i should take extra care of my old messed up copy!

It's actually called the "Wand Order Mistake" (Google it if you want to smile ). JKR got the order wrong in the first edition of Goblet of Fire and is was edited for the second edition, I think. You must have a First Edition if James got out of Voldermort's wand first, rather than Lily 3nodding

On her website, JKR posted that as a question- what the order should be.
She answered that she made a mistake, and the order would be corrected in later editions.
Which it was.

Lots of authors do that, and most of the time it isn't caught.
Robert Jordan's incredible Wheel of Time series is far deeper, and far more interesting to sleuth.
(I got into HP while waiting for the next WoT book.) RJ made a few mistakes among all the
text in his series, and corrected them in later editions.
I know that because I've actually worn out earlier copies and bought later ones, and seen
text change.
(Example: end of Book 1, we see someone sharpening his sword.
Early in Book 2, we find out his sword is unbreakable-and will never get dull.
He explains about that, and mentions people with such swords have disbelieved it and
tried to sharpen them, and only wore down their sharpeners.
Later editions of Book 1 has him sharpening his belt-knife instead.
Before that, my only answer was a guess he had a nervous habit of sharpening.)

Maddy's Husband

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
Diabolist of doom
Hatterling
I can't recall where J.K. mentioned it, but Tom Riddle Jr. was doomed from the very start because of how he was conceived. All because of Love Potion.

(Probably Amortentia, if I recall correctly. I don't know how Merope would have gotten the necessary ingredients for it, considering the Gaunts were poorer than even the Weasleys. But it is the strongest and we see a glimps of it in the 6th book in Slughorn's class and it's mentioned to smell different for every person.)

Because of how his father was under the influence of Love Potion when he was conceived, Tom Riddle Jr. was fundamentally unable to experience love.

Something that hits particularly hard upon re-reading all the lines Dumbledore had about the subject of love.

(It's somewhere in here.J. K. Rowling Webchat Transcript)

Never thought of this, very good!

Also, I saw this on Facebook a while back so I can take no credit unfortunately:

There were meant to be seven films for the seven books but there ended up being eight in the end. Voldemort intended to have seven horcruxes but instead created eight. Nice little parallel for you all biggrin

Good thing you didn't take credit for it.
As Dumbledore himself pointed out, the count is off.
Riddle meant to split his soul into 7 parts.
1 part would have to remain with his body.
That would mean 6 horcruxes plus Riddle (making 7.)
He accidentally made 7 plus himself (which makes 8 soul-parts).

That still makes a nice little parallel, but a slightly different one.

Greedy Capitalist

Want to know why Snape hates the golden trio so much? Harry has green eyes, Ron has red hair, and Hermione is an intelligent muggleborn. Now..who else in Snape's life has had green eyes, red hair, and was an intelligent muggleborn? emotion_awesome

Wanna know why Snape hated Neville? If Voldemort had targeted him instead of the Potters, Lily wouldn't have had to die.

Nick had Peeves break a Vanishing Cabinet in CoS; the same cabinet Draco fixed in HBP.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
iKarnezar
Want to know why Snape hates the golden trio so much? Harry has green eyes, Ron has red hair, and Hermione is an intelligent muggleborn. Now..who else in Snape's life has had green eyes, red hair, and was an intelligent muggleborn? emotion_awesome

Wanna know why Snape hated Neville? If Voldemort had targeted him instead of the Potters, Lily wouldn't have had to die.

Nick had Peeves break a Vanishing Cabinet in CoS; the same cabinet Draco fixed in HBP.

Oho! I didn't realize that Peeve was the one who broke the cabinet! interesting!

Dapper Shapeshifter

6,100 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Diabolist of doom
Another one I've found, in the fourth book when Wormtail is talking to Voldemort in the Riddle House and Wormtail is worried about what Voldemort wants him to do in the future (chop off his hand in sacrifice, of course Wormtail doesn't know this is his task yet). Voldemort's response to this is that many wizards would give their right arm for this task. Which is true, some would of course give their left arm instead razz Nice bit of twisted humour.

i caught that, thats pretty funny when you re read and then there's also the whole thing with barty crouch attacking mad eye then being mad eye, the entire 4th book rereading it i don't see mad eye as much as i do a fake mad eye!

Fashionable Genius

25,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Hagrid borrowed the flying motorcycle from Sirius in the first book and still had it in the seventh. Looks like Hagrid scored himself a free flying motorcycle.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
Snape In A Dress
Hagrid borrowed the flying motorcycle from Sirius in the first book and still had it in the seventh. Looks like Hagrid scored himself a free flying motorcycle.
The thief!!

Tipsy Dabbler

cuttee
Finding more stuff
This is kinda curious

So it says when Fred and George were bewitching snowballs to throw at Quirrell the lake was frozen solid

Quote:
The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban.

Assuming the lake is frozen wouldn't that kill all the creatures in the Lake, including The Giant Squid and the Mermaids which feature in GoF???

or are they just able to withstand frozen water?

Quick bit of science for you here - water only freezes on the top layer, and being deep water animals I'm fairly sure that also makes them cold-blooded, thus they remain unaffected by a bit of cold water.
Otherwise we would witness our own sea and water creatures dying in the winters constantly.

Beloved Explorer

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
I SO VERY----- I
I'm noticing in the first two books every time the weasley twins talk its either both at the same time or Fred. George seldom has a sentence thats just credited to him. Actually, I haven't seen him do a single thing alone so far. I guess JKR likes Fred the best..

Actually, I belive the first time the twins have been refered to seperately is in Deathly Hallows, in the chapter with the 7 Harrys. This was actually a foreshadowing of when the twins would be seperated permanently, through Fred's death. Another similar incident was when George lost an ear, sybolizing the inevitable loss of another irreplaceable part of himself.

Blessed Phantom

10,100 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Streaker 200
Faerie Dust Dreaming
I SO VERY----- I
I'm noticing in the first two books every time the weasley twins talk its either both at the same time or Fred. George seldom has a sentence thats just credited to him. Actually, I haven't seen him do a single thing alone so far. I guess JKR likes Fred the best..

Actually, I belive the first time the twins have been refered to seperately is in Deathly Hallows, in the chapter with the 7 Harrys. This was actually a foreshadowing of when the twins would be seperated permanently, through Fred's death. Another similar incident was when George lost an ear, sybolizing the inevitable loss of another irreplaceable part of himself.

Ooo, I didn't notice that. Good catch of JKR's death foreshadowing symbolism.

I didn't think it was cause she liked Fred better, I just thought Fred was the quieter twin. Just cuz they like finishing each other's phrases doesn't mean they're *exactly* alike, right?

And I doubt it was the first time ever.

It's possible, but I also have a vague memory of George having a line credited to him in 4 or 5 (told you it was vague) where he's asking after another character's welfare.Which is probably where I got the quiet, sensitive idea from. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff