Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Genius

Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon
You sound like you may have been a little older when the series first came out then? It's okay not to like it, but it's cool you kept coming back to try it out when some of it appealed to you.

It is hard that she killed off the characters, but the series is more "young adult" than for "children" as the main themes reflect this. It was stressful to me too, especially in the 5th book when we get our first major character death, to face this at the young age of 15. But at the same time, I think Rowling was really trying to shine through that people can always be their best and fight for what is right, even when they are emotionally, physically, and mentally at their worst.

I hope you keep with the series and enjoy reading/watching the rest, but if not...it's cool you tried!

A smaller font and some more mature artistry would lend to your theory better, I'm afraid. Huge print is for children. Cartoony artistry on the cover and et al makes one think the themes will fit in with the same. If it was designed for youth, then why were it's most adoring fans between the 4th and 6th grades in Elementary School? I've heard this argument before and I am still not convinced.

I won't deny that they were first marketed at younger readers (around the age of Harry I would assume, approximately 11 years old), but if print size turns you off from a book, there are many versions of the printed material by the way, I don't see how this has anything to do with the literary value of the book. Also, Harry grows up in the books, as do the themes, transforming them from maybe borderline children/young adult to full on young adult.

But I would not say the "most" adoring fans are in elementary school. They are older, having grown up with the series. Where do you have proof of your claim here?

By the way, I'm not trying to make an "argument." I'm just stating my opinion and not disputing yours. I understood that the books didn't seem like your thing, so I was just trying to tell you my thoughts in a way that didn't seem ignorant as well as trying to discourage you from reading them. If you don't like them, that is fine, but don't tell me that the points I was making were my "theories." Please, I haven't even began to test out these ideas enough to call them that.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
ShinHaeMoon
Aloc Acoc Goblin
ShinHaeMoon
You sound like you may have been a little older when the series first came out then? It's okay not to like it, but it's cool you kept coming back to try it out when some of it appealed to you.

It is hard that she killed off the characters, but the series is more "young adult" than for "children" as the main themes reflect this. It was stressful to me too, especially in the 5th book when we get our first major character death, to face this at the young age of 15. But at the same time, I think Rowling was really trying to shine through that people can always be their best and fight for what is right, even when they are emotionally, physically, and mentally at their worst.

I hope you keep with the series and enjoy reading/watching the rest, but if not...it's cool you tried!

A smaller font and some more mature artistry would lend to your theory better, I'm afraid. Huge print is for children. Cartoony artistry on the cover and et al makes one think the themes will fit in with the same. If it was designed for youth, then why were it's most adoring fans between the 4th and 6th grades in Elementary School? I've heard this argument before and I am still not convinced.

I won't deny that they were first marketed at younger readers (around the age of Harry I would assume, approximately 11 years old), but if print size turns you off from a book, there are many versions of the printed material by the way, I don't see how this has anything to do with the literary value of the book. Also, Harry grows up in the books, as do the themes, transforming them from maybe borderline children/young adult to full on young adult.

But I would not say the "most" adoring fans are in elementary school. They are older, having grown up with the series. Where do you have proof of your claim here?

By the way, I'm not trying to make an "argument." I'm just stating my opinion and not disputing yours. I understood that the books didn't seem like your thing, so I was just trying to tell you my thoughts in a way that didn't seem ignorant as well as trying to discourage you from reading them. If you don't like them, that is fine, but don't tell me that the points I was making were my "theories." Please, I haven't even began to test out these ideas enough to call them that.

"In 1998, Scholastic published Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, the first book of the phenomenally popular series that has captured the hearts and minds of children and adults alike. Nearly ten years later, on July 21, 2007, Scholastic published the much-anticipated seventh and final book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, making publishing history with a record-breaking 8.3 million copies sold in the U.S. in the first 24 hours. More than 140 million copies of the Harry Potter books are in print in the United States; more than 400 million copies have sold worldwide." (http://www.scholastic.com/aboutscholastic/bookpublishing.htm)

Not to mention the physical evidence from 1998 I somehow failed to throw away when cleaning my file drawer.
Do you really want me to pull up more off the internet? I can if you'd like.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
CBrocks_GDsucks
VOTE EVERYDAY FOR HARRY POTTER!
http://www.spike.com/events/scream-awards-2011/voting

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO READ SOMETHING!

THE ULTIMATE SCREAM, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER!
BEST SCIENCE FICTION MOVIE, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST FANTASY MOVIE, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER!
BEST HORROR MOVIE, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST THRILLER, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST TV SHOW, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST DIRECTOR, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER DIRECTOR, DAVID YATES!
BEST SCREAM-PLAY, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER!
BEST FANTASY ACTRESS, VOTE FOR HERMIONE A.K.A EMMA WATSON!
BEST FANTASY ACTOR, VOTE FOR HARRY A.K.A DANIEL RADCLIFFE!

BEST SCIENCE FICTION ACTRESS, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST SCIENCE FICTION ACTOR, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST HORROR ACTRESS, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST HORROR ACTOR, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST VILLAIN, VOTE FOR VOLDEMORT A.K.A RALPH FIENNES!
BEST SUPERHERO, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, VOTE FOR RON A.K.A RUPERT GRINT OR SEVEROUS A.K.A ALAN RICKMAN!
BREAKOUT PERFORMANCE - FEMALE, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BREAKOUT PERFORMANCE - MALE, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST CAMEO, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST ENSEMBLE, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER!
MOST MEMORABLE MUTILATION, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
FIGHT SCENE OF THE YEAR, VOTE FOR THE BATTLE OF HOGWARTS OR HARRY POTTER VS. LORD VOLDEMORT!
HOLY SH!T SCENE OF THE YEAR, VOTE FOR THE ROOM OF REQUIREMENT FIENDFIRE!

BEST INDEPENDENT MOVIE, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST 3-D MOVIE, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER!
BEST F/X, VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER!

BEST COMIC BOOK OR GRAPHIC NOVEL, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST COMIC BOOK WRITER, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST COMIC BOOK ARTIST, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!
BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE, IDK CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT!

BTW, I'M NOT BEGGING YOU TO VOTE FOR HARRY POTTER FOR ALL OF THEM! IF YOU FIND OTHER MOVIES BETTER, THEN VOTE FOR THEM IF YOU'D LIKE.
I ALSO LIKE BLACK SWAN AND X-MEN... JUST SAYING.

ALSO EVERYTIME YOU VOTE, ON THE BOTTOM LEAVE A COMMENT AND SAY WHAT YOU VOTED FOR! A LOT OF PEOPLE LEFT COMMENTS ON THE BOTTOM. smile

ROFLMAO!

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
OlivierDeSillegue
Aloc Acoc Goblin

The books have the same content, I did not say there was an X rated version of Harry Potter! stressed

You were reproaching them to have a childish cover and written in a too large print to be taken seriously. Well, I'm showing you that J.K. Rowling had the foresight to make available two editions of the same books. One is all colourful and pretty and intended for the younger audience, and the other has a more sober appearance and a smaller print.

Take your mind out of the gutter and don't give a meaning to my words that isn't there, thank you very much.

tHEN WHY DID GAIA BLOCK THE LINKS?
I personally don't think the book is geared towards completely young children, unless they're mature enough to handle death.
At the age of about 8 or 9, I believe I read Order of the Phoenix. Sirius dies in that book and it hurt me so much that ever since then I absolutely HATED it.
Recently, after the last movie, I've gone back to rereading the books, and honestly, apart from Sirius's death OofP isn't bad.
Seeing as how I was young, I couldn't handle it. So I can't say it's for kids.
And it just doesn't sound like your kind of book.

Nurse Zak 's Queen

In my personal opinion, while Harry Potter starts off being for kids around Harry's age. The content grows with Harry.

However, it seems that the books just aren't you thing, which is fine and dandy.

Skilled Businessman

5,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Generous 100
Aloc Acoc Goblin
THEN WHY DID GAIA BLOCK THE LINKS?

... Because you have it as a preference for your account that Gaia blocks certain images with a little smiley that shows its hand. If you click on it, you should be able to see what it is hiding... Unless you're underage and there is some level of parental protection of which I am not aware...

They were simply images of book covers.

Married Werewolf

OlivierDeSillegue
Aloc Acoc Goblin

The books have the same content, I did not say there was an X rated version of Harry Potter! stressed

You were reproaching them to have a childish cover and written in a too large print to be taken seriously. Well, I'm showing you that J.K. Rowling had the foresight to make available two editions of the same books. One is all colourful and pretty and intended for the younger audience, and the other has a more sober appearance and a smaller print.

Take your mind out of the gutter and don't give a meaning to my words that isn't there, thank you very much.

I personally love the adult editions. the covers are gorgeous. Especially PoA.

BTW, there is an x rated version of harry potter. Its called fan fiction wink

Gracious Fairy

I was actually a little of and on with HP myself.
At first I was so bored by the first chapters that I almost tossed it.
Then I really got into it...
At least until the last book then I was so dissapointed by DH, and so angry at Rowling for tossing out info after the book was published that should have been in the book that I tossed my whole collection.
Recently though I found I missed it, and have started coming back a bit.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Yes, the earlier books were aimed at children. But as the series went on, the books and their themes became progressively darker. It's not fair to completely judge them based on the target audience; I love many children's books, and I love many adult books as well. My advice would be to just give them a chance: the series has meant a lot to millions of readers, myself included. That was one of the great things about the series; the audience grew up with Harry.

Aged Humorist

8,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Divorced 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I still don't understand why some people come to the "Harry Potter" thread where there are obviously "Harry Potter" fans , who are absolutely mad about "Harry Potter" , and say that they don't like the series , why even bother coming here? O__O;
I don't mind your opinion really , I'm just curious.

Oh and the books were aimed at children and young-adults when they first came out , they were aimed at those who liked fantasy , adventures and things out of this world , and as the series grew those "children" grew along with it.So those adults that you see who are Potter fans were only kids when they first started reading it , and they loved it and couldn't stop.

Oh and calling it childish and disliking it just because of the cartoon covers and big font is kind of stupid and not a very good reason for disliking the books. Just saying.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sirius BIack Padfoot
I personally don't think the book is geared towards completely young children, unless they're mature enough to handle death.
At the age of about 8 or 9, I believe I read Order of the Phoenix. Sirius dies in that book and it hurt me so much that ever since then I absolutely HATED it.
Recently, after the last movie, I've gone back to rereading the books, and honestly, apart from Sirius's death OofP isn't bad.
Seeing as how I was young, I couldn't handle it. So I can't say it's for kids.
And it just doesn't sound like your kind of book.

I agree with you on whether it's for kids or not. The fact remains that it was originally marketed to kids, which really threw parents who had been caught up by the initial media frenzy and didn't realize JK Rowling had taken a little more arduous path with the storyline, meant in concept for older kids, BUT, still marketed to younger ones by Scholastic.

I love the actors and have met a few of them when they were still kids. Very nice and very adorable. "Malfoy" is nothing like his character for instance.

ALSO: to the goofball here who lectured me on making comments when I don't like the books, read my whole post. I said I am on a seesaw with them. I am not entirely against them, nor can I completely embrace them.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I Ginevra Molly Weasley
I still don't understand why some people come to the "Harry Potter" thread where there are obviously "Harry Potter" fans , who are absolutely mad about "Harry Potter" , and say that they don't like the series , why even bother coming here? O__O;
I don't mind your opinion really , I'm just curious.

Oh and the books were aimed at children and young-adults when they first came out , they were aimed at those who liked fantasy , adventures and things out of this world , and as the series grew those "children" grew along with it.So those adults that you see who are Potter fans were only kids when they first started reading it , and they loved it and couldn't stop.

Oh and calling it childish and disliking it just because of the cartoon covers and big font is kind of stupid and not a very good reason for disliking the books. Just saying.

When did I use the world childish? Really? I said it's geared to kids in marketing and yet has hugely adult concepts for them to swallow. Not good. You can say what you want, but the physical evidence still exists that it never should have been marketed to kids the way it was. And besides what you say, younger kids were led into it by older siblings who loved earlier books and by parents who had been under a different impression as well. Marketing never changed once the concepts got more sophisticated.

6,050 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Miss Marinara Sauce
Yes, the earlier books were aimed at children. But as the series went on, the books and their themes became progressively darker. It's not fair to completely judge them based on the target audience; I love many children's books, and I love many adult books as well. My advice would be to just give them a chance: the series has meant a lot to millions of readers, myself included. That was one of the great things about the series; the audience grew up with Harry.

Let me put it to everyone this way: when I was about 8 years old, I was in the next room when an older family member was murdered via a rifle held directly under his chin and the trigger pulled. Sounded like thunder of course. That was not a good thing for me to experience at that age. Nor is it good to put in books published by Scholastic from the inception and marketed for kids. And sold in the Scholastic Reader brochure distributed monthly at public schools. I have one still. The target was 4th graders. Says it right on the top.

Again, I didn't say I totally hate them. You guys keep putting words in my mouth. I stated very plainly from the beginning that I am on the fence about them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff