Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Shapeshifter

Miss Marinara Sauce
Kymie/Kimberly - Schizophrenic split personality. WHOO-HOO!

This one makes me rage so hard. I have a relative with schizophrenia, and SCHIZOPHRENIA DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. Seriously, she gets EVERYTHING about schizophrenia WRONG.

She seems to be thinking of dissociative identity disorder. I also have a relative with this, and none of his headmates are raging psychopathic killers. In fact, the majority of people with DID don't turn into crazed killers when one of their alters takes over, contrary to what Hollywood would have you think.

So not only is the character a Sue, she's a highly offensive Sue.
Miss Marinara Sauce

I laughed and I cried.

Gracious Prophet

The ones that annoy me a lot are the people who claim that the character is a long lost sibling of Harry Potter or some of the other characters who are clearly "only children" in their family unit. Harry lost his parents, he suffered that alone without any siblings to relate that with, he was stuck for a long time with relatives that hate him, that is a part of his tragic back story and yet even though he has gone through so many bad things he still strives to be a hero. I think that element is a strong part of his character, and if you add in loop holes about, 'oh there was another sibling in the background' or something, it messes things up.

By far the most annoying OC's in any series are the ones that take the spotlight away from the main characters and hog it all for themselves.

Gracious Prophet

Yanueh
Miss Marinara Sauce

This one makes me rage so hard. I have a relative with schizophrenia, and SCHIZOPHRENIA DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. Seriously, she gets EVERYTHING about schizophrenia WRONG.

She seems to be thinking of dissociative identity disorder. I also have a relative with this, and none of his headmates are raging psychopathic killers. In fact, the majority of people with DID don't turn into crazed killers when one of their alters takes over, contrary to what Hollywood would have you think.

That is terrible. I don't know anyone with either disorder, but I'm a Psychology major so I know a bit about both disorders. People really ought to do research before writing stories with characters like that.

Shameless Shapeshifter

Ema Darkbone - underweight, speshul wand, senseless nickname, high skill in "necromancy" (in quotes because that's not how necromancy works - and does it even exist in HP?), from an aynchunt pureblood family (thousands of years old!), sorted into the "Vampire Fang" house of Durmstrang (does Durmstrang even have houses?).
Stella - 1. Hogwarts skirts are NOT that short, and 2. Underage girls flashing zettai ryouiki like that make me really uncomfortable.
Salem - a catgirl with a magical girl wand. Oh, and she's also one of the artist's headmates - so, other-self-insert?
Emmanuelle - she's NOT A MARY SUE despite being shoehorned into the sixth book as a guide for Harry Potter. Right. Also, if she's not supposed to be a love interest, why make the cover art for your fanfic look like something from a smutty romance novel?
Elodie - what part of "cat OR an owl OR a toad" do you not understand?
Mikael Wolf - 135 lbs + 6'3 = underweight.
Holland - A cat OR an owl OR a toad. NOT A PENGUIN.
- James Potter Jr. - Dragons wings and tail + Japanese symbol on pendant = what the crap?!

Moar to follow. xp

Gracious Prophet

Yanueh
Ema Darkbone - underweight, speshul wand, senseless nickname, high skill in "necromancy" (in quotes because that's not how necromancy works - and does it even exist in HP?), from an aynchunt pureblood family (thousands of years old!), sorted into the "Vampire Fang" house of Durmstrang (does Durmstrang even have houses?).
Stella - 1. Hogwarts skirts are NOT that short, and 2. Underage girls flashing zettai ryouiki like that make me really uncomfortable.
Salem - a catgirl with a magical girl wand. Oh, and she's also one of the artist's headmates - so, other-self-insert?
Emmanuelle - she's NOT A MARY SUE despite being shoehorned into the sixth book as a guide for Harry Potter. Right. Also, if she's not supposed to be a love interest, why make the cover art for your fanfic look like something from a smutty romance novel?
Elodie - what part of "cat OR an owl OR a toad" do you not understand?
Mikael Wolf - 135 lbs + 6'3 = underweight.
Holland - A cat OR an owl OR a toad. NOT A PENGUIN.
- James Potter Jr. - Dragons wings and tail + Japanese symbol on pendant = what the crap?!

Moar to follow. xp

Ema Darkbone: I suppose if she majored in necromancy that she can summon zombies. Great just what the HP universe needs, a zombie Voldimort. Thanks for giving us that possibility...
Also with the James Potter Jr...wow...Harry's father had a crazy adventure where he slept with a dragon...

Shameless Shapeshifter

Celestine - Since when does being an animagus give you the power to turn into a pink catgirl? Also, that shade of green at the top of the sleeves looks really crappy with the shade of green she's got on the rest of the sleeves.
Jane Rose - Poor Snape's character...
Michelle Angel Dumbledore - The only heir of Slytherin via a major a**-pull. Also, note the disturbing way the artist has sexualized the sadness of a minor by flashing zettai ryouiki.
Elyon Potter - Harry's sister. 'Nuff said.
Aurore Edweniyel - Her uniform is so skimpy, she looks like she's been wearing the same one since she was 11.
Diamond - an ANGELIC PRINCE who goes to Hogwarts. What is this I don't even
Astrid Knight - artist's self-insertion, only hotter. Gryffindor. Crush on Draco.
Lucinder - The very reason people hate yaoi fangirls: a flaming gay Gary Sue to the nth degree.
Rosalina - Dumbledore's granddaughter. In love with Harry and Draco. Dies a Sueful death after confessing her love for Draco.

6,250 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Shameless Nerd

27,375 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Yanueh
Miss Marinara Sauce

Agreed and tipped. I kind of want to strangle the person who came up with that. I also have a relative with schizophrenia, and I'm a psychology student, and that is not schizophrenia and DID doesn't even work that way. Saying that a single traumatic event could cause a personality disorder like schizophrenia or DID just shows ignorance and a lack of understanding for people who do suffer from these disorders. The fact that this person seems to think that is amusing and is doing it for fun is just galling.

Shameless Shapeshifter

She-who-loves-hyphens
Saying that a single traumatic event could cause a personality disorder like schizophrenia or DID just shows ignorance and a lack of understanding for people who do suffer from these disorders.

Indeed. The person I know with DID was triggered by a series of extremely stressful events. It didn't give him a murderous killer; it gave him Nicholas Cage. And in time more personalities followed, but none of them were rampaging psychos, even if they were sometimes pains in the butt (anterior lobe?).

Portraying people with DID as having killer alters is just wrong because it creates irrational fears of people with DID. Ditto for portraying schizophrenia the same way.

Quote:
The fact that this person seems to think that is amusing and is doing it for fun is just galling.

Mm-hmm. What she's doing falls under the header of ableism.
Yanueh
Celestine - Since when does being an animagus give you the power to turn into a pink catgirl? Also, that shade of green at the top of the sleeves looks really crappy with the shade of green she's got on the rest of the sleeves.
Jane Rose - Poor Snape's character...
Michelle Angel Dumbledore - The only heir of Slytherin via a major a**-pull. Also, note the disturbing way the artist has sexualized the sadness of a minor by flashing zettai ryouiki.
Elyon Potter - Harry's sister. 'Nuff said.
Aurore Edweniyel - Her uniform is so skimpy, she looks like she's been wearing the same one since she was 11.
Diamond - an ANGELIC PRINCE who goes to Hogwarts. What is this I don't even
Astrid Knight - artist's self-insertion, only hotter. Gryffindor. Crush on Draco.
Lucinder - The very reason people hate yaoi fangirls: a flaming gay Gary Sue to the nth degree.
Rosalina - Dumbledore's granddaughter. In love with Harry and Draco. Dies a Sueful death after confessing her love for Draco.

Wait. Are these supposed to be serious? Or are they just people being silly?
Yanueh

Wow. User Image

Girl-Crazy Strawberry

Yanueh
Miss Marinara Sauce

This really upset me as well, for the reasons you have already stated. The ignorance of it made me so angry. I posted under her picture about it actually being DID, and I couldn't help but be a little snarky about it. That... that... I have have no words for how this makes me feel.

O.G. Prophet

Oh, this thread is LOVELY. Just. Dandy.

Also, that Kymie thingy person is... Just. /facedesk I don't-- Is the creator of that OC a 9 year old girl that heard the word schizophrenia in a quiz show?

Shameless Shapeshifter

Scribbling Scribe
Wait. Are these supposed to be serious? Or are they just people being silly?

These are serious fancharacters, yes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces