5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland

About Catholics being Christians:
This is a tough topic. I'm not up to date on the specifics of what Catholics believe, but I know that the center of Christianity is Christ and his sacrifice. Salvation is a free gift, and we need not, can not do anything to earn it. The problem that Catholics have here is the idea of penance. If salvation is a free gift, why do I have to do 10 Hail Marys because I lied? Christ's sacrifice covers that. Because Catholics disagree with this, many protestants say they are not Christian. I am in no place to say Catholics are going to hell. All I know is that anyone who ignores basic, fundamental teachings of scripture cannot call themselves christian.

“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” -James 2:20

I guesses dat you is not is Christian by you own define. rolleyes

Nevermind fact dat penance is NOT is neccesary for getted to heaven. It neccessary for be pure enough for taked communion, but ultimate if you hab true repentance, you coulda getted into heaven without does dose Hail Mary's. By Catholic teachings:

Quote:
The Church now solemnly acknowledges that the Holy Ghost is truly active in the churches and communities separated from itself. To these other Christian Churches the Catholic Church is bound in many ways: through reverence for God's word in the Scriptures; through the fact of baptism; through other sacraments which they recognize."

The non-Christian may not be blamed for his ignorance of Christ and his Church; salvation is open to him also, if he seeks God sincerely and if he follows the commands of his conscience, for through this means the Holy Ghost acts upon all men; this divine action is not confined within the limited boundaries of the visible Church."

that quote from James is tough to hear. But the idea there is that true faith should inspire one to do good works out of thanks and love for God.

Communion is also meant to be a free gift. The disciples didn't do penance before receiving the Last Supper.
"Take, eat, this is my body, which is given for you..."
note the words take and given. It is given for
sinful people. If purity was required for communion, no one could take it. First, no one can accurately recall and identify every sin they've committed, either by commission or ommission. Even if they could, Hail Mary doesn't pay for your sins. They are already paid for by Christ's death. To ask for more payment is to minimize His sacrifice, which is given to us free through scripture, baptism, absolution, and communion.

I sayed pure enough, not jus' pure. You shoulda not hab tings on you conscience when you getted communion. Sins dat you don' 'member woulda not be on you conscience anyways, so I don' see what is you point in sayed dat. Jesus sayed dat if you hab sin on you conscience den you shoulda go recitify dat BEFORE gived to God.

And if you serious tinks dat penance is jus' sayed some Hail Mary's den you obvious dunno dat much Catholics. Dat 1 way cause for some tings prayer is only way for maked repentance, but priest coulda advise someone for hab other ways of maked penance.
ok ok ok. Haiti did not, DID NOT, make a pact with the devil. If anything, their ancestors made a pact or a promise to their ancestors to be free because no one likes to be held down and push around, and their ancestor sure as hell weren't held down.

ok that was my lil rant, now to get historical! People say, even before Haiti was hit by the earthquake, that it was a bad and poor country and that they made a pact with the devil. But did anyone every ask why they were that way? Because their ancestors were slaves, whether from Africa or South America, and they were under French rule for so long. Haiti was the first country in the world to actually fight back and win, and because they drove out the french, and because they were African and South American, they were screwed over even in freedom until this day, because no country would trade with rebellious slaves. Only now does the world really truly care, even though we should have cared long before the earthquake.

Religion, not even gonna get into that. I just think God gave us options.
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland

This is a tough topic. I'm not up to date on the specifics of what Catholics believe, but I know that the center of Christianity is Christ and his sacrifice. Salvation is a free gift, and we need not, can not do anything to earn it. The problem that Catholics have here is the idea of penance. If salvation is a free gift, why do I have to do 10 Hail Marys because I lied? Christ's sacrifice covers that. Because Catholics disagree with this, many protestants say they are not Christian. I am in no place to say Catholics are going to hell. All I know is that anyone who ignores basic, fundamental teachings of scripture cannot call themselves christian.

Nevermind fact dat penance is NOT is neccesary for getted to heaven. It neccessary for be pure enough for taked communion, but ultimate if you hab true repentance, you coulda getted into heaven without does dose Hail Mary's. By Catholic teachings:

Quote:
The Church now solemnly acknowledges that the Holy Ghost is truly active in the churches and communities separated from itself. To these other Christian Churches the Catholic Church is bound in many ways: through reverence for God's word in the Scriptures; through the fact of baptism; through other sacraments which they recognize."

The non-Christian may not be blamed for his ignorance of Christ and his Church; salvation is open to him also, if he seeks God sincerely and if he follows the commands of his conscience, for through this means the Holy Ghost acts upon all men; this divine action is not confined within the limited boundaries of the visible Church."

that quote from James is tough to hear. But the idea there is that true faith should inspire one to do good works out of thanks and love for God.

Communion is also meant to be a free gift. The disciples didn't do penance before receiving the Last Supper.
sinful people. If purity was required for communion, no one could take it. First, no one can accurately recall and identify every sin they've committed, either by commission or ommission. Even if they could, Hail Mary doesn't pay for your sins. They are already paid for by Christ's death. To ask for more payment is to minimize His sacrifice, which is given to us free through scripture, baptism, absolution, and communion.

I sayed pure enough, not jus' pure. You shoulda not hab tings on you conscience when you getted communion. Sins dat you don' 'member woulda not be on you conscience anyways, so I don' see what is you point in sayed dat. Jesus sayed dat if you hab sin on you conscience den you shoulda go recitify dat BEFORE gived to God.

And if you serious tinks dat penance is jus' sayed some Hail Mary's den you obvious dunno dat much Catholics. Dat 1 way cause for some tings prayer is only way for maked repentance, but priest coulda advise someone for hab other ways of maked penance.

Clearing your conscience is definitely beneficial, but does not need to include works. It should consist of the person confessing and them receiving from the pastor/priest absolution and reassurance that God forgives their sins through Christ's sacrifice, not through anything they may have done.

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland

Quote:

Clearing your conscience is definitely beneficial, but does not need to include works. It should consist of the person confessing and them receiving from the pastor/priest absolution and reassurance that God forgives their sins through Christ's sacrifice, not through anything they may have done.

Depended in who you wrong wit' you sin, you also hab include WORK of rectify situation wit' dem BEFORE gived to God.

"Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee. Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." - Matthew 5:23-24
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke

Depended in who you wrong wit' you sin, you also hab include WORK of rectify situation wit' dem BEFORE gived to God.

"Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee. Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." - Matthew 5:23-24

Good point. However, that verse regards giving an offering to God, rather than receiving the gift of Holy Communion from Him.

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke

Good point. However, that verse regards giving an offering to God, rather than receiving the gift of Holy Communion from Him.

Both involves a exchange wit' God. It maked sense for apply it both ways and to say dat someone is not is Christian jus' cause you disagree on dis issue is maked judgemnet dat you shoulda not maked. Catholic hab Bible basis for dese practice jus' as much as you hab for you believes.
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland

Quote:

-glomps-

I LOVE YOU LUKE! heart

(And to think it wouldn't have happened without penance. whee )
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke

Both involves a exchange wit' God. It maked sense for apply it both ways and to say dat someone is not is Christian jus' cause you disagree on dis issue is maked judgemnet dat you shoulda not maked. Catholic hab Bible basis for dese practice jus' as much as you hab for you believes.

As long as you believe that a person can only get to heaven by faith through the free gift of grace alone, and that nothing they do has any bearing on their salvation, and that nothing they do can make them worthy of the gifts that God gives us freely through his grace, then I believe you are Christian.

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke

As long as you believe that a person can only get to heaven by faith through the free gift of grace alone, and that nothing they do has any bearing on their salvation, and that nothing they do can make them worthy of the gifts that God gives us freely through his grace, then I believe you are Christian.

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me. They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Ok. I guesses dat you knows more better den Jesus. rolleyes

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
LibertyC
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland
little_boy_luke
Ich_Liebe_Deutschland

Quote:

-glomps-

I LOVE YOU LUKE! heart

(And to think it wouldn't have happened without penance. whee )

You only be my friend cause you priest maked you. crying crying crying

4,600 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
R A B ii D - rainbow
Katherine128
Well, i live in Dominican Republic a.k.a. Haiti's neighbor country and im a christian. *****And i think that the quake is like a punishment of god to Haiti, because in Haiti most of the haitians do satanic rituals (even through a little percent of haitians are christians).***** I really feel bad for them sad , even trought they do bad stuff, and i feel even worse cry for all the christian haitian that died or lost their families in the quake.

Really? More then 50,000 people died, and probably more as I type, and that's what you're concerned about? The christian haitians?
                Sure, it's cool and loyal to stick to your religion. But aren't you supposed to respect other religions too?
                Even though sometimes they're somewhat against your religion. That's still what you're thinking about.
                Imagine this. You're one of the non-christian Haitians dying, homeless, unclothed, and wounded and you find out one person is only concerned for the family next to you.
                Wouldn't that break your heart? That would be one more thing to cry about.
                You shouldn't judge someone just by their religion. Especially in this scenario.
                Think about it. :3

Ok in my previous post i said i feel sorry for all the christian haitians but that doesn't mean i don't feel sorry for the other rest of the population (It's just that i didn't post it). But in fact i also feel bad, and sometimes try not to cry, for all the other haitians that died and for the ones that lost their families.

So don't think that i don't care because i do. In fact im pretty sensible with that stuff. So sorry if you throught that i only cared about the christian haitians.

Original Genius

5,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Katherine128
Well, i live in Dominican Republic a.k.a. Haiti's neighbor country and im a christian. *****And i think that the quake is like a punishment of god to Haiti, because in Haiti most of the haitians do satanic rituals (even through a little percent of haitians are christians).***** I really feel bad for them sad , even trought they do bad stuff, and i feel even worse cry for all the christian haitian that died or lost their families in the quake.

You obvious dunno nothing 'bout Haiti. 96% is Christians, dat not is "little" percent. rolleyes

7,600 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
little_boy_luke
Katherine128

You obvious dunno nothing 'bout Haiti. 96% is Christians, dat not is "little" percent. rolleyes

I agree completely with you. Although I think 80% of Haiti is either Cristian or catholic. And from the person who lives in the dominican republic, do you think God would hurt all the innocent children living in that country cuz I don't. Remember when God spared that country which was very sinful only because there was one righteous soul living there? Read your Bible! You'll learn a lot smile 3nodding oh and Katherine, for a Christian you have a pretty bad potty mouth..
Katherine128
R A B ii D - rainbow
Katherine128

Really? More then 50,000 people died, and probably more as I type, and that's what you're concerned about? The christian haitians?
                Sure, it's cool and loyal to stick to your religion. But aren't you supposed to respect other religions too?
                Even though sometimes they're somewhat against your religion. That's still what you're thinking about.
                Imagine this. You're one of the non-christian Haitians dying, homeless, unclothed, and wounded and you find out one person is only concerned for the family next to you.
                Wouldn't that break your heart? That would be one more thing to cry about.
                You shouldn't judge someone just by their religion. Especially in this scenario.
                Think about it. :3

Ok in my previous post i said i feel sorry for all the christian haitians but that doesn't mean i don't feel sorry for the other rest of the population (It's just that i didn't post it). But in fact i also feel bad, and sometimes try not to cry, for all the other haitians that died and for the ones that lost their families.

So don't think that i don't care because i do. In fact im pretty sensible with that stuff. So sorry if you throught that i only cared about the christian haitians.

=/ What was your first clue.. I mean. what you said before was pretty single-minded. Not to mention tactless and downright shallow. But w/e You're forgiven. I mean lets face it. That's what Jesus would do. *Legasp!* He forgives! <.< But on that note.. It's not surprising that this went from a "You suck thread" to a turn on religion.. Kinda surprised to see bible verses quoted in here.. But I want to give a little question to all you that quote bible verses.

Do you follow them? Or do you just spew out what you know in order to make yourself seem bigger, more intelligent and better read then everybody else. (C'mon, the atheists read the bible just to know what they are talking about!) There's a line between Christianity and hypocrisy.. What side of the line are you really on?
Just more proof that religion can turn people into complete self-righteous asshats.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff