Welcome to Gaia! ::

So what about Chile? Or any other country in need right now? Are we only focusing on Haiti?
I'm not hatin (I donated money to Haiti already) but just wondering why the Haiti quake > Chile quake.

8,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
Chile's Government was much readier for quake so it had less Victims...!

4,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
Yeah what about Chile? They've been hit with a lot of earthquakes since the first major one. It's funny though, you'll hear people saying they were ready but I don't think they were even close to being ready for so many constant quakes. They get a bunch of 5.0 and highers everyday.

Fuzzy Lover

14,650 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Well.. I think it has to do more with the reality of each country.
You can't compare Chile and Haiti for various reasons (economically, politics, education, history..)

And it's not really about being "ready" for the quake... Chile has a history of big earthquakes (1960, 1985, 2005, 2007, 2010... and those are only over 7,9 Richter) so it's more about "we kinda knew it was coming anytime" than "we are READY bring it on...". No one is ready for an earthquake.

And... Yeah, we've been getting aftershocks of over 6.0 or even 7.2 (past thursday) but.. since it's something constant, you get used to them and stop making a fuss after the 5th or 10th.. and that was over 2 weeks ago.

I live in Santiago, here the quake was of 8.3 and only the oldest part of the city were affected by it. A few new buildings are being demolished and the "new" part of the international airport fall apart but besides that there's nothing much that can tell you that we had an earthquake 3 weeks ago.

It's not the same history for the south. In ConcepciĆ³n they were hit by the earthquake and a tsunami, which left almost nothing of the city.. same goes for almost 30 cities and towns near the epicenter.
User Image
                  Haiti has not a good form of gov. and their houses are hard and big plus they have no way to supply themselves haiti is poor

chile has a better government and not as many people got affected so haiti needs the help right now ^^;

ephemerally
Well.. I think it has to do more with the reality of each country.
You can't compare Chile and Haiti for various reasons (economically, politics, education, history..)

And it's not really about being "ready" for the quake... Chile has a history of big earthquakes (1960, 1985, 2005, 2007, 2010... and those are only over 7,9 Richter) so it's more about "we kinda knew it was coming anytime" than "we are READY bring it on...". No one is ready for an earthquake.

And... Yeah, we've been getting aftershocks of over 6.0 or even 7.2 (past thursday) but.. since it's something constant, you get used to them and stop making a fuss after the 5th or 10th.. and that was over 2 weeks ago.

I live in Santiago, here the quake was of 8.3 and only the oldest part of the city were affected by it. A few new buildings are being demolished and the "new" part of the international airport fall apart but besides that there's nothing much that can tell you that we had an earthquake 3 weeks ago.

It's not the same history for the south. In ConcepciĆ³n they were hit by the earthquake and a tsunami, which left almost nothing of the city.. me goes for almost 30 cities and towns near the epicenter.

What's weird is that Negrete is really close to ConcepciĆ³n. But it was effected as much. My mom said that it's, like, right there. And my aunt studies in ConcepciĆ³n. So...?

Fuzzy Lover

14,650 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
xXx_Sunnii_xXx
What's weird is that Negrete is really close to ConcepciĆ³n. But it was effected as much. My mom said that it's, like, right there. And my aunt studies in ConcepciĆ³n. So...?

So...? I believe the University of ConcepciĆ³n had only the Chemistry Lab affected, since the chemicals got mixed and it did boom, but the rest of the infrastructure was fine. I have 3 friends studying there and the classes began this past week or so..

I don't see your point there.. Negrete is about 60 miles from ConcepciĆ³n and i believe Santiago is around 300 miles... so if here in Stgo we got damages i expect that Negrete had almost the same as Conce except from the tsunami? Since Negrete is around 50 miles from the sea..

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
Chile is actually more prepared for an earthquake. If you heard the numbers of those lost in the Chile earthquake, it was WAY down from the Haiti earthquake.
You really want to know? It's all political. And by that, I don't simply mean government; there are a lot of business politics as well that play a part in what kind of news reaches our ears and what countries get more attention. If you're really interested in hearing more about this sort of thing (the news industry, NGOs, etc.), PM me. They teach classes on this stuff, and I happen to have taken some. I still keep the articles, just in case.

Not, of course, do say Haiti doesn't deserve the help. They do. But this is simply to answer the general question of why the United States will turn its attention to helping some countries and not others.
Xairai
Yeah what about Chile? They've been hit with a lot of earthquakes since the first major one. It's funny though, you'll hear people saying they were ready but I don't think they were even close to being ready for so many constant quakes. They get a bunch of 5.0 and highers everyday.

Yep. People say we are ready, and we should be ready. Chile's located in an area of high seismic activity. Plates are having parties, and guess where? Here.

Knowing all that, we should be ready. But we are not. You see, we have an organism which is in charge of important stuff during state of emergency, the ONEMI (Oficina Nacional de Emergencia del Ministerio del Interior, use google trans. 'cause I'm lazy to do it, lol. The problem during the last quake was that they DIDN'T DO s**t. They had been preparing for this for years, but when it finally came, they failed really bad.

Well, that was just anecdotic. As most people here, I know Haiti needs more help than Chile. You can't compare. Though it's sad there's no forum for Chile's Quake sad
Chile had a much lower death toll, as well as a lower population affected. Also, the capital city of the entire country was not utterly destroyed.

Not saying it's not a bad thing that it happened, just simply putting it out there that Haiti was hit much harder. Earthquakes hit daily, but they don't take out an entire city (for the most part) and kill a number of people comparable to 9/11 (forgive me for bringing that up, but it really does fit here, being that the shock of the number killed was a factor in the disaster) daily. This was a rare disaster and, much like New Orleans, they are STILL lacking decent medical and food aid months after the occurrence.
Jazz the Snaz
So what about Chile? Or any other country in need right now? Are we only focusing on Haiti?
I'm not hatin (I donated money to Haiti already) but just wondering why the Haiti quake > Chile quake.
less people died so , yeah, mainly Haiti

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces