Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
On January 9th 2010 a group of ten students from Mason went down to Haiti. They had no idea what would be happening that week or what their futures would hold. This is their story.

Our team was in Petit Goave, about 10 miles from where the epicenter would take place. They would be there for a week to build latrine shelters and run a Bible school. On January 12th, when the earthquake hit, families and friends waited in fear to hear if they were okay. It was two days later when someone finally contacted the director back at McLean Bible Church letting everyone know they were okay. Once the students got back, we had to be quiet about it because they were being flown out secretly and were to only see their families for a week, mostly to let it all sink in. A few weeks later we got to hear their accounts.

They remember that throughout the night, they could hear screams and weeping as the aftershocks swept through. There were tremors throughout the night, about 5 minutes apart, so if they did get sleep it wasn't for long. They slept outdoors to avoid buildings collapsing on them. Our team soon realized that they were needed down there more than ever. And for the rest of the week tried to help out as best they could.

But missions trips are never one sided. They found that just as Jesus was the solid rock on which they stood, and that the earthquake had only strengthened their love of Jesus, they saw that the Haitians did not waver either. Before they left, one of the kids came up to a volunteer and told her that his family had been killed in the earthquake. The volunteer was moved but didn't know what to say, so she just hugged him. Then the kid said, "but God has this all in His plan, He will work this out."

Then a parent came up to one of the other volunteers and told them that God had let them experience this and see what is happening in Haiti, and now that they know, they should go back and tell everyone their story. And that is why I'm here.

There was screaming and wailing through the night, but in the morning they were singing praises! It was an amazing experience, and I have some pictures to share with you also, but first let me talk about World Hope.

World Hope is the organization we work with in many things (Seesaws Against Slavery is coming up soon- that's to stop human trafficking in Cambodia, we seesaw for those who can't, who's childhood has been taken away from them). World Hope is working with the Haitian 'government' and currently have a hospital down there to help out. It was temporary until a few days ago when we raised $8000 plus an annonymous donation to reach $15000 to make it a permanent medical center!!
Their link: http://www.hope-international.com/index.php?gclid=CIqt-Z255qACFUlP2godpWhEEw
their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/worldhopeorg
Our blog where you can go back to January to read about the event: http://thegatheringblog.com/

Pictures in the next post, this will be IMAGE HEAVY.

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
Before the quake

Children in Haiti
User Image

A volunteer with kids
User Image

At the Bible school doing crafts!
User Image

Haitian girl
User Image

Volunteers and kids
User Image

More crafts
User Image

First Sunday there
User Image

Little more crafts
User Image

How bathing went...
User Image

After the earthquake

Sad little boy
User Image

Gorgeous sunset a few days later
User Image

Limbo anyone?
User Image

Hut
User Image

Volunteer and a girl named Monica
User Image

Sidewalk
User Image

A group unhappy to leave the place they are needed
User Image

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
What can you really do to help??

At this point, we've learned that it is very difficult to go down to Haiti due to all the help they are trying to fly in. Basically, people would just get in the way if they went down there. So the only real way to help is to donate to an organization that you know and trust to help Haiti (such as World Hope International) Also, if you get involved with one of those organizations, they may be providing opportunities for certain skilled people to go down and help out, so if you can offer a skill that would aid, you could find a way to get down there.

As I mentioned before, there is an opportunity to go down there this summer, that is through World Hope and McLean Bible Church.

McLean's link is: http://www.mcleanbible.org/

Check it out to learn more, it's still up in the air sort of about whether or not we're going down there, but there is a big chance that we are!

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
Get the opportunity to go down there again this summer, I might take that.

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
And I am totally going barefoot on campus on April 8th!

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
I guess there's not really much to comment on though...

5,350 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
Alright then...I guess you all can just read and enjoy. Just thought I'd put it out there.
wow that was very heavy and tragic story... but i hope and pray that god will bless the 10 students who went to haiti with out knowing what was in for them there... including you... you are right, god is the solid rock whom where we stand... at least you guys were safe and that you were able to share with other haitians there... god bless

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff