Welcome to Gaia! ::

People Counter

+1 1 100.0% [ 186 ]
Total Votes:[ 186 ]

*nodnod* 'tis a very good reason. Any ideas what you want to make?

*nonchalantly ignores her own massive sewing pile*

Shy Bunny

Hehe not really no. But I shall think of somethign eventually. I can't do anything as awesome as you. Never made clothes before.

I would love to see your sewing pile. I bet it's full of pretties.
I was going to send you some simple project sheets but the website is down and the other one I went to has started charging. emotion_donotwant Instructables has some neat stuff though.
Pish, most of the clothing I make is really simple, a skirt can be as easy as a hemmed rectangle gathered onto a waistband pants are kinda a b***h though but that's mostly my own fail.

Actually it's mostly full of things in need of repair. OTL
I did find an unfinished dress that has the potential to be cute if I could remember what on earth I was doing with it. sweatdrop

Shy Bunny

Hehe well that's sweet of you ^^ And I odn't mind waiting to see when it's working.
I know skirts are easy but i don't think I could get it to fit right and things.

Aww I know that feeling.
The forgetting half way through a project rather than stuff needing repairing.
I love your new avatar. emotion_kirakira

Elastic waistband? Where close enough is good enough. XD Especially if you want a swishy skirt. *nodnod*

Yes, I have far to many like that. XD

Shy Bunny

Aww thanks ^^ I wanted to be a cute little girl...and use those adorable eyes from the Sainte Ciel recolour.

That's the thing. I never learnt how to get the elastic to work (and I hand sew EVERYTHING)

Hehe yeah I know the feeling.
You definitely succeed. ♥ They are gorgeous, after seeing them and this hair I was frantically doing offers for the last 100 cash I needed for the bundle.

*tilts head* As in how to measure or insert elastic?
Ah that makes it a little more difficult since you essentially have to do two hems and then sew up the length of it. (Then again my best friend just finished a fully lined winter weight trench coat and she only hand sews but she is freakishly quick.)
Craftster.org also has some good projects.

Shy Bunny

Haha I did the same ^^ And to be fair I had a nice chunk at the time ^^

Er...both? I...All my sewing I taught myself but more complicated things I find more tricky. I just have the basics
Oh that...sounds complicated. I wouldn't even try something heavy.
*nodnod* As did I, the timing was pretty good.

Welp it depends what you are making really but the basic way to measure elastic is to measure what it goes around then remove an inch or so (how much depends on how big the measurement).
Eg. For a waistband I'll wrap the piece of elastic around my waist loosely then pull it in a couple of inches so it's slightly stretched out, just enough for it to be able to stay in place but not too tight (I'll also hold it together and make sure I can get it over the hips of doom before I cut). Then cut of the amount you need.
And for the basic technique to insert it into a waistband: You should sew the top of your garment up almost as if you were hemming it so you make a tube of sorts with an opening, the size the tube should be depends on the width of your elastic. Attach a saftey pin to one end of your elastic and pin the other end to the opening in your fabric (your elastic should be shorter than your fabric and you don't want to loose the end), thread the end with the safety pin through your tube until it comes back out the opening, unpin the other end and sew the elastic together then sew up the opening.

...If that didn't make any sense I shall try explaining at a decent hour, I promise it is actually really simple. sweatdrop

She has freakish hand sewing skills, I am in awe of them. I'm borrowing the pattern to make my own coat but I shall be using my machine. *clings to sewing machine*

Shy Bunny

Hehe yeah I agree

No that does make a decent amount of sense, but I'd think that sewing the elastic by hand wouldn't be strong enough. And hips are a pain

Hehe For big things I'd much rather use a sewing machine (But I don't own one. My last caught fire)
I use whipstitch or backstitch and it seems to hold well enough, I do a lot of smaller details and accessories by hand.
They are, they make pants awkward. emotion_donotwant *still can't find a decent pair of jeans*

o.o How did that happen?

Shy Bunny

I had one awesome pair of jeans...when I was 16! And haven't found a good pair sense.

The motor overheated or something. I began to notice smoke and yelled at my mum that the sewing machine was smoking and she told me I was being silly.
It is frustrating. >:c
*sighs* I'm either going to have to attempt them myself or buy the nice but overpriced $85 ones.

Oh dear, you have to love it when parents don't listen. *amused*

Shy Bunny

Wow it must be getting late for me...that was meant to be since lol
I would never pay that much. I'd rather just have s**t jeans. I've gone off them anyway.
I'd rather wear skirts or shorts and things.

Oh yeah. So my sewing machine went up in smoke. I still don't know how and I need to get a decent one.
X3 I knew what you meant.
I just want a pair that aren't horribly baggy everywhere but my hips. I didn't have so much trouble a couple of years ago. T^T
I live in skirts and stockings at the moment but I do prefer jeans in winter. I have an irrational hatred for shorts.

That does suck. I've no idea where to start when looking for sewing machines. >.>

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff