Welcome to Gaia! ::

class of 2011: what are you thinking about for after graduation?

Straight into the workforce 0.059701492537313 6.0% [ 4 ]
Military 0.059701492537313 6.0% [ 4 ]
Community college 0.059701492537313 6.0% [ 4 ]
4-year college 0.37313432835821 37.3% [ 25 ]
Oh hell I don't know 0.14925373134328 14.9% [ 10 ]
Something else 0.029850746268657 3.0% [ 2 ]
I'm not class of 2011 0.26865671641791 26.9% [ 18 ]
Total Votes:[ 67 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

HennesyXO
I don't know how America is, but in France the system was completely self-taught. You go to the first class, which is a lecture, the teacher professor dumps a Powerpoint with everything he can tell you, noone understands s**t, then he dumps a bunch of copies and says "here are the copies, you dipshits, study and I'll see you on exam day". All the rest of the classes are only for answering questions you had while studying. gonk

I found this ******** difficult because college in Mexico is pretty much a continuation of high school, the teachers use the same method, being the only difference that you have more assignments.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
my dragonsies: let me show you them. (click bitte?)

Hm. Well, I went to a medium-sized, high-powered American university, and in general the teaching has been quite good. And we have precepts, which are small classes, to discuss material or go over more details than in the big lectures. Plus, professors and teaching assistants hold office hours and sometimes review sessions to make sure everyone can get their concepts straight. So I haven't experienced those problems much.

I do get the impression that the educational system in Europe is way more brutal than in the U.S., at least in some ways. I know high school in France is a nightmare.
Neriedar
Well I am not quite ready to face the world all by myself just yet so I am panning on commuting to a two year college thats a 30 minute drive from my home town.......and taking advantage of concurrent enrolment THIS year. I hope by the end of 2 years I will have decided a major and will then choose a college according to my major.

Sounds like a good plan. (:
xxGroovyGalxx
J.P. Chartreuse
xxGroovyGalxx
I really dont know.. College is a lot for me to think about, since my family is pressuring me into going, but my grades aren't fantastic.. I'm artistic.. in a way.. so I may go to college for graphic design and english stuff.. probably psycology too, that's what I'm interested in. (:
Hey, I'm a psych major. (:

Are you thinking of going first to community college and transferring?

Awesome, psychology is a really interesting course.. I love it
Yeah, I'm thinking community college seems like the best option at this point (:

Your interests sound like they're lining you up for a career in marketing - psych, English, and graphic design. "Marketing" is necessary basically anywhere though, and it definitely doesn't have to be boring
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Talk to me! Where are you looking? What are you thinking of studying? What's important to you in a college? What are you going to write about in your essay?

I know it seems early to be thinking about some of this stuff, but trust me, the earlier you get excited about your applications and your next four years, the better off you'll be!

(I got in everywhere I applied, including the top 10 university at which I'm a rising senior, and I like talking about college admissions and shopping and stuff more than is healthy. This may become a sort of awkward advice thread.)

Where do you go to school?!

secret! d: srsly, why would I tell all of Gaia that?
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Talk to me! Where are you looking? What are you thinking of studying? What's important to you in a college? What are you going to write about in your essay?

I know it seems early to be thinking about some of this stuff, but trust me, the earlier you get excited about your applications and your next four years, the better off you'll be!

(I got in everywhere I applied, including the top 10 university at which I'm a rising senior, and I like talking about college admissions and shopping and stuff more than is healthy. This may become a sort of awkward advice thread.)

Because Gaia is such a loving and embracing community? biggrin
SAMANTHALOVESYOU22
what are you thinking of doing for the rest of your life?

Tough question. d: I want to do something with the environment, but I'm looking at a lot of different options. I might pursue a Ph.D. in psychology, specifically in persuasion and motivation psychology related to the environment (so kind of the science behind marketing and behavior), or I might go another route involving policy, education, writing, editing, community organizing, or something like that. The problem is I'm pretty introverted so I'm not all that interested in a career where networking is the most important thing - which is the case in a lot of nonprofit and policy stuff.
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

either you're brutally sarcastic, you haven't spent much time in CB/GD/ED, or both! d:

where do YOU go to school?
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

either you're brutally sarcastic, you haven't spent much time in CB/GD/ED, or both! d:

I figured out where you go to school. Just so you know.

I'm going to a top 15 school.
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

there are probably hints in my post history, it's true. d:

I don't really feel like stalking yours but if you feel like being marginally less of a creeper and telling me, feel free!
creeper is content to be a creeper. okay. d:
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

I don't really feel like stalking yours but if you feel like being marginally less of a creeper and telling me, feel free!

I didn't stalk your history, per se. I went to google and searched for "precepts," which you mentioned a few posts ago, and voila! I suppose it's creeping nonetheless, though. My apologies.

I go to Northwestern
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

I didn't stalk your history, per se. I went to google and searched for "precepts," which you mentioned a few posts ago, and voila! I suppose it's creeping nonetheless, though. My apologies.

I go to Northwestern

aw man. pretty campus you have there, and nice area. I visited but it didn't quite grab me for some reason.

and yeah, freaking weird terminology. hrgl.
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

I go to Northwestern

aw man. pretty campus you have there, and nice area. I visited but it didn't quite grab me for some reason.

Pretty campus you have, too! My best friend applied and go it, but decided to go to Rhodes in Memphis instead. Go figure...
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse
Take It Down Elizabeth
J.P. Chartreuse

I go to Northwestern

Pretty campus you have, too! My best friend applied and go it, but decided to go to Rhodes in Memphis instead. Go figure...
I've done a little research on Rhodes recently (for totally unrelated reasons) but nothing about it is coming to mind super quickly. Nevertheless: it may well have been for the best. My school is fine, for sure, but there are ups and downs like anywhere.
G'luck, class of 2011. The competition is pretty brutal.
I spent my whole senior year in various levels of tired or zoned out, which didn't help my somewhat spotty record in terms of getting into an interesting college. I probably couldn't have gone out of state anyway, so I'm attending a massive local university. At least aiming low got me some scholarships.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff