Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Capitalist

I've always thought that what Peter Parker's Aunt said about her husband proposing and how she turned him down was the most mature thing absolutely ever. Since then, any time any teenager proposes to any other teenager I wish that would be what happens, and a small part of me was holding out a hope that Rachel would go that route. Obviously this show isn't that mature, but I was still hoping.

Now it didn't happen and I'm sad.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about...
Quote:
Peter wants to marry Mary Jane, an intention prompting Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) to offer one of her trademark moral speeches:

In a nice touch, Aunt May relates how she turned down her first marriage proposal from Peter’s Uncle Ben, as much in love as they were. “We weren’t ready,” she says. “I didn’t want to rush into something with nothing but love to sustain us.” Admonishing Peter, she adds, “A man has to be understanding and put his wife before himself. Can you do that?”

Fashionable Capitalist

Fashionable Capitalist

Wistful Dreamer

good thing spiderman is way more mature than finn to begin with...finn talks of big things and says he loves her but to me he still has no idea what he's doing...props to the writers for making him bipolar when it comes to the army/football/rachel

i don't think glee characters are even worth wasting brainpower about at this point. >_>;

but it is a nice thing to remember: that we can learn from fictional characters too

Fashionable Capitalist

Fashionable Capitalist

I honestly have no problem with the idea of two people getting engaged in high school. I mean, my parents got married when my dad was 18 and my mom was 17, and things worked out great for them. It was hard, but it was what they wanted.

My problem with Finn and Rachel isn't that they're getting engaged in high school. My problem is that they're doing it without any thought as to what it actually means. Finn thinks it's going to make moving to New York easier. It's not. It's going to make it harder. He's proposing because he thinks Rachel is all he has, and he wants to hold onto her. He wants an assurance that she's not going anywhere, because he doesn't have anything else. That's not healthy behavior. And Rachel? She said yes for the exact same reason. And this was in the same episode where she told Finn that she just didn't know if she was ready for marriage yet.

If you're getting married because you think you're ready for marriage and you love the other person with all your heart and want to spend the rest of your life together, that's awesome. If you're getting married because you've got nothing else going for you, that's not so good. And this is true at any age.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff