Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know this is digging pretty deep into things, but having looked over all the issues in Glee this season, I have to say that misogyny is
becoming more and more prevalent. Forgive me, but I honestly do not believe Santana would have said something as
unsympathetic as she had said last night. Her character had been developed into someone who was a b***h because
she was forced in the closet, but lately she has seemed a lot more aware of herself and more aware of what she's
saying. The fact that she would just say such an offhand comment was purely for the purpose of the episode and
not at all of her character. And if you consider, as well, that while the girls were all being "taught a lesson" ... where were
the guys? They were all heroically trying to help their bud Puck. Why is it that the supposed victims are the ones
who are being taught about the violence against them? Wouldn't it have been important to teach the guys to be aware of it
as well? And what about abuse that happens with the genders switched? And what about the same sex couples?

Aside from all of these things, consider now "I Kissed A Girl" which seemed to be more about Finn saving the day than it did about
Santana's painful outing? He said that he didn't want her to hurt herself, but I just don't understand why it couldn't have been more of an
empowerment story for her rather than a victim story. And the song choice...
a pseudo-bisexual song that dabbles in the idea of kissing a girl and hoping that the man isn't upset with it.
For her coming out? What?

Anyway, those are my two strongest examples. Feel free to discuss, agree / dispute, or bring up your own examples.
This is kind of old news. Glee is grounded in mysogyny. Nearly all of the female characters are written as bitches, so the audience is supposed to hate them, and honestly, I do. I'm sick and tired of Santana, Quinn, and Rachel getting away with everything on the show because "that's just their personality." Wrong. Bitchiness is not a personality trait. It's a writing tool. This is sad, but true. It's far easier to hate the women of Glee than the men. I watched the show from the beginning because I've followed Lea Michele's career since "Spring Awakening." That woman is brilliant. But Rachel makes me want to tear my hair out. Don't even get me started Quinn, let alone that offensive, brainless, waste of a character Sugar Motta. Just...uuuggghh. DX

Now, I only watch the show for Klaine.

Rainbow Lover

24,375 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
I didn't really see Santana's comment as being that unsympathetic and rude. It's not like she actually thought for even one second that Coach Beast's hubby actually hit her (Yes, I Know Beast is spelled wrong, don't know the correct way though.. there's an i in there somewhere..). I joke with females about getting beat up if they have a bruise somewhere, as long as I know they weren't actually abused.

But I do fully agree about the other part of that paragraph. The whole time they were teaching the girl's this lesson, I thought about how they were basically saying "Domestic abuse only happens when a boy hits a girl". No.. abuse can happen to anyone. Straight, Gay, Bi, Male or Female. Doesn't matter. Everyone needs the message they were giving out.
Virgo Whiskers
I didn't really see Santana's comment as being that unsympathetic and rude. It's not like she actually thought for even one second that Coach Beast's hubby actually hit her (Yes, I Know Beast is spelled wrong, don't know the correct way though.. there's an i in there somewhere..). I joke with females about getting beat up if they have a bruise somewhere, as long as I know they weren't actually abused.

But I do fully agree about the other part of that paragraph. The whole time they were teaching the girl's this lesson, I thought about how they were basically saying "Domestic abuse only happens when a boy hits a girl". No.. abuse can happen to anyone. Straight, Gay, Bi, Male or Female. Doesn't matter. Everyone needs the message they were giving out.

I was discussing this with a friend of mine today who brought up the issue that the Glee fandom has kind of
put it on the writers to be morally correct and to teach the right lessons. I guess it has to be taken into consideration
that it isn't their job to teach morals, it's their job to write their show the way they see fit.

Rainbow Lover

24,375 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Casanova Rodeo
Virgo Whiskers

I was discussing this with a friend of mine today who brought up the issue that the Glee fandom has kind of
put it on the writers to be morally correct and to teach the right lessons. I guess it has to be taken into consideration
that it isn't their job to teach morals, it's their job to write their show the way they see fit.

I agree that it isn't their job to teach morals. But if they choose to do so, I think they have a responsibility to present it in the best way possible.

Dapper Dabbler

Virgo Whiskers
Casanova Rodeo
Virgo Whiskers

I agree that it isn't their job to teach morals. But if they choose to do so, I think they have a responsibility to present it in the best way possible.

You should also take into account that morals are completely subjective.
I just wanted to post this eek
I had thought the same thing in reference to why the men of Glee hadn't been in the room, but your post has organized my thoughts for me so thank you! <3

I think that the writers of Glee (Ryan, Ian, Brad. I will us RIB for sake of keeping things short.) Should think about sending the right message to the people who watch the show. Screw morality. The reason I say that is: It is in my opinion that a great majority of the Glee fandom will seldom actually think about morality without being provoked first. They are to busy fighting over who is the best ship and characters. I'm not saying ALL of the Glee fans are like this, because this obviously is not the case. My case and point is this thread. Seeing as some glee fans actually know what the word misogyny actually means!

I think that it would be most effective to have them have their characters just do the right thing. Monkey see, monkey do!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff