• Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I think santana should get more solos

Fashionable Explorer

8,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I think the character's leaving should get more solos.
I'm hoping Tina gets more character development next season given that she's a junior.
Me too >.<
I Play Foreplay
Peeta Mellarks
oh no
i thought we were finished complaining about blaine getting to sing

Pardon me, I don't lurk around this forum to care or even know about the other threads about blaines profuse solos.

It's just a pretty common complaint everywhere you look. People complain about who gets solos.

Some people wish Rachel didn't have as many solos.

Some people wish Blaine didn't have as many solos.

Pretty much everybody wishes their favorite characters had MORE solos.

All of this is old news. Blaine gets solos because Darren sells songs. That's pretty much all there is to that.

BUT, here are some fun facts:

If you just look at actual solos with one person singing lead for the whole song, Blaine has the most songs this season, with Mercedes in second place and Rory in third place. Rachel and Puck tie for fourth place.

If you look at solo songs and duets, Rachel jumps into first place. Blaine is in second place, followed by Santana in third place and then Mercedes in fourth.

However, if you look at solo songs, duets, and group numbers that people sing lead parts in, then Santana jumps to first place, Rachel and Mercedes tie for second, Blaine takes third, and Finn and Kurt tie for fourth.

So, depending on what songs you're counting as "solos," the stats are a little different.

I find it interesting that people complain so much about Blaine's solos this season, but nobody seems to care that Santana actually has four more songs than Blaine. Remember that she's in the same position Blaine is in. Santana was brought on as a minor character, upgraded to the status of series regular because of her popularity, and eventually given more story lines because of that popularity, as well as more songs because of how well her music sells.

Just an interesting thing to consider...

Hoarder

garra_eyes

Thank you for the stats, however I don't think it applies to me for 2 reasons.

1. I don't have a favorite character, I just want to hear these less "popular" characters sing.
2. As for Santana singing just as much solos ... No me gusta.
I Play Foreplay
garra_eyes

1. I don't have a favorite character, I just want to hear these less "popular" characters sing.

Well, I brought the stats up for two reasons.

1. You specifically singled out Blaine in your topic, despite the fact that Santana, Mercedes, and Rachel have all sung more than him this season. There is a certain vocal minority of the fandom that likes to single Blaine out for hate in a lot of areas that it is... undeserved. Or if it is deserved, this group conveniently ignores all the other characters who are in the exact same position. Just making sure my boo doesn't get pinned up as the scape-goat for this sort of thing when he is far from being the only one guilty of it.

2. You mentioned wanting to hear Finn sing more. Finn is actually in second place (tied) for number of solos/duets/solos in group numbers this season. So... he's not really one of the characters that is hurting for songs. (Those characters would be Puck, Sam, Mike, Joe, and Rory for the boys and Brittany, Tina, Quinn, and Sugar for the girls)

It's all well and good wanting the show to treat its cast more as an ensemble, giving equal time for songs, story lines, etc. to all characters. I'd love for that to be the case as well. But if that's what we're complaining about, there's far more to talk about than just Blaine's number of solos. What about the number of relevant songs each character gets? What about the amount of screen time in general? What about the amount of backstory? What about the amount of development they get? What about relationships that do or do not get highlighted? What about how each of those relationships is treated?

There's a lot of inequality between characters in Glee, and reducing it down to Blaine getting a lot of solos is unfair to that character and completely ignoring the bulk of the problem.

Timid Prophet

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Djavan-a-Vich
I agree with you. i mean the guy can sing but the songs they have been giving him lately are really bad. If anyone deserves more solos it should be Tina. She has barely got any since the show started. She barely gets speaking parts.

I think that's because
her actress is difficult.
I've seen a few of the
filmings (since I live
locally), and she seems
like kind of a b***h.

Hoarder

garra_eyes
I Play Foreplay
garra_eyes

Well, I brought the stats up for two reasons.

1. You specifically singled out Blaine in your topic, despite the fact that Santana, Mercedes, and Rachel have all sung more than him this season. There is a certain vocal minority of the fandom that likes to single Blaine out for hate in a lot of areas that it is... undeserved. Or if it is deserved, this group conveniently ignores all the other characters who are in the exact same position. Just making sure my boo doesn't get pinned up as the scape-goat for this sort of thing when he is far from being the only one guilty of it.

2. You mentioned wanting to hear Finn sing more. Finn is actually in second place (tied) for number of solos/duets/solos in group numbers this season. So... he's not really one of the characters that is hurting for songs. (Those characters would be Puck, Sam, Mike, Joe, and Rory for the boys and Brittany, Tina, Quinn, and Sugar for the girls)

It's all well and good wanting the show to treat its cast more as an ensemble, giving equal time for songs, story lines, etc. to all characters. I'd love for that to be the case as well. But if that's what we're complaining about, there's far more to talk about than just Blaine's number of solos. What about the number of relevant songs each character gets? What about the amount of screen time in general? What about the amount of backstory? What about the amount of development they get? What about relationships that do or do not get highlighted? What about how each of those relationships is treated?

There's a lot of inequality between characters in Glee, and reducing it down to Blaine getting a lot of solos is unfair to that character and completely ignoring the bulk of the problem.

1. I never said anything about hating him, just tired of him singing. Difference.
2. I did mention Puck.

As for the last bit of your tl;dr, I would have to agree but his storylines is much the reason why he gets a sum of solos.
I Play Foreplay
1. I never said anything about hating him, just tired of him singing. Difference.

No, but you DID single him out for something that MANY characters are guilty of. (And in fact, one of the characters you said you wished had more chances to sing is actually one of the characters who gets more opportunities to sing, thus furthering my point that singling Blaine out here is ridiculous)

My point is, if you single out Blaine and ignore all the other characters, you're using him as a scape goat, which is not cool. You're encouraging resentment of this character (regardless of whether that's your intent or not), and that resentment is unwarranted. It's not a problem with Blaine. It's a problem with the structure of the show.

I Play Foreplay

2. I did mention Puck.

Hooray! Not my point. You're complaining about a character singing too much, even though three characters you're not complaining about are singing more than him. You're also complaining about two characters not singing enough, despite the fact that one of those two characters sings more than roughly two thirds of the rest of the cast.

The point was, the stats I listed ARE applicable to you since you were arguing that Finn doesn't get enough songs, when he actually gets more than most of the other characters. The fact that you also talked about Puck doesn't mean my post isn't applicable to you.

I Play Foreplay
As for the last bit of your tl;dr, I would have to agree but his storylines is much the reason why he gets a sum of solos.

Not really. Most of Blaine's solos have nothing to do with his story lines.
Was Cough Syrup relevant to Blaine's story? No.
You Should Be Dancing? No.
Last Friday Night? No.
(etc.)

Blaine is actually used as a jukebox character more often than not.

Beloved Citizen

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • First step to fame 200
U cray!! But i do want to see puck sing more

Hoarder

garra_eyes

1. Why would you say scapegoating when I'm not blaming him of anything, I just said i'm tired of him singing. Nothing more, nothing less.
2. The 3 characters you're referring to are females though am I correct? If so, then it still doesn't apply to me because I'm talking about the male characters. With that being said, I to want to see Sam and Mike sing other than Blaine, now talk about that.
3. Why him and not another character?

4,650 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm not he's my favorit glee member besides kUrt! Go klaine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Play Foreplay
I want to see some from Puck and Finn ... kthx.

I like the fat chick.

Hoarder

The Ocean Walker
I like the fat chick.

User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items