Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was listening to Glee's version of Defying Gravity, and then I listened to the original version, from Wicked. I think Glee ruined this song. What do you think? Please listen to both versions before replying?

Oh, and I love Glee. I'm just saying my opinion!
The other of the songs are great!

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
I dunno, sounds ok to me.
I think they did a pretty good job (:

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Gee, they're both really good.

6,450 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
not really. i love kurt's version of the song, and it tied in with the plot so well. to my it was inspiring and made me cry. crying

Wheezing Fatcat

Glee made it into a more choir-ie song.
So I think it's fine.

Blessed Lunatic

No... Not really.

I see what you're getting at, but they just put a different spin on it.
It's not really that different.
Besides, covers don't have to be EXACTLY like the original.
So, they're given a little bit of room to wiggle-- and they wiggl'd juuuust right. 3nodding
I do agree with you that the Idina Menzel version is better than the Lea Michele/Chris Colfer version, but they did not ruin it. I love the interpretation of it, making it into a duet and that they out a boy in it. I love the Glee version.

My best friend and I are in the have the same singing teacher, and she puts on performances ALL the time, out big performance at the end of the year, me and my BFF are preforming the Glee version of Defying Gravity :] I am so excited, because we are both Wicked fanatics and Glee fanatics and now we can sing our second favorite Wicked song together, (What is This Feeling is our fave, we preformed it last year.)

Sparkly Ladykiller

7,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
i loved the remake!
idk i really like Defying Gravity, its not that bad biggrin

6,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
User Image

This is the first time I've ever heard the original song. And I think they did a great job. (:

User Image
TeruNoka
idk i really like Defying Gravity, its not that bad biggrin

Yea I would have to agree that it isn't that bad.
Glee's version very different than the version from Wicked, but if you listen to Idina and Kirsten sing it, they sing it differently for different events, such as actually during the musical, and at the Tony's. Glee's version is made so that it makes sense as a solo instead of having a second person sining along with whoever as singing as Elphaba.

Essentially you're comparing a green apple to a red apple. You may like one better than the other, but they're different things, one isn't trying to be the other.

6,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
In my opinion all Glee did was make the song more choir-y. I personally like both versions, though I do like the original more. Glee didn't ruin it but made it their own.

7,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Clambake 200
The first thing I noticed is that the instrumental part is different. But the more I considered it the more I realised that they couldn't have recreated the musical version since it's full of plot and speech that doesn't really apply. They pretty much just took the main part of the song and changed it a bit.

I think Idina did a 'pop' version of Defying Gravity, which I imagine is a lot closer to the glee version.

However, without Glee doing that song I would never have listend to any of the music from it. I bought the soundtrack earlier this week and I'm obsessed. So hurray.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff