Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should employers test their employees for drugs?

Yes. Employers have a right to 0.45454545454545 45.5% [ 20 ]
No. It is an invasion of the employees privacy 0.54545454545455 54.5% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 44 ]
< 1 2 3

stare So many Americans get stoned. I do not think that one should be high at work, but after work who cares? Its not the employees business. Most people in this thread would not spot a high person in a group of ten sober people. They are misinformed and think that since a dog groomer is high they will mutilate the dog. (I am generalizing, so kill me) I guess my point is that people think drugs are much much worse than they really are.
drug addicts steal!
elzibeta
drug addicts steal!
Not all drug addicts steal. This is like saying all people who wear red shirts beat their kids and enjoy it.
Dr Dev
elzibeta
drug addicts steal!
Not all drug addicts steal. This is like saying all people who wear red shirts beat their kids and enjoy it.

a real person with an addiction goes to great lengths to feed their addiction. a lot of addicts do steal to support their expensive habit, especially since its hard for a person with a bad addiction to hold down a good, steady job
elzibeta
Dr Dev
elzibeta
drug addicts steal!

a real person with an addiction goes to great lengths to feed their addiction. a lot of addicts do steal to support their expensive habit, especially since its hard for a person with a bad addiction to hold down a good, steady job

Depends on the type of addiction and depends on the type of drug. The most desperate of junkies might steal, but that's a far cry from saying that all addicts of all drugs will steal.
ReiDuck
elzibeta
Dr Dev
elzibeta
drug addicts steal!

Depends on the type of addiction and depends on the type of drug. The most desperate of junkies might steal, but that's a far cry from saying that all addicts of all drugs will steal.

of course not all will steal, but my point is that addiction makes people do things that they may not normally do if they were clean and sober. i think testing is definetly a necessity.
elzibeta
ReiDuck
elzibeta
Dr Dev
elzibeta
drug addicts steal!

of course not all will steal, but my point is that addiction makes people do things that they may not normally do if they were clean and sober. i think testing is definetly a necessity.

Why? If drug use is ruining someone's life, then their performance at work will drop, and you fire them for bad performance or for being impaired at work. Drug testing does not show the difference between the lowest of addicts and the safest of casual users, and so all this will do is remove from the workplace people who are using drugs safely and responsibly.

Hell, a firned of mine is a junkie, and he works 10-12 hours a day. He's completing his Ph.D at Stanford, and while occasionally his addiction becomes a problem for him, he never lets it interfere with or endanger his work.
I say that the employers only have the right to drug test employees or potential employees if they suspect usage. I have stopped smoking, but it will stay in my system for up to three months, which is preventing me to apply to jobs that I may want. I consider that unfair, but I have to deal with it.
I mean, if the drugs get in the way of performance, leads to stealing, or anything of the sort, then yes, drug test the employee. However, why have the company spend the extra money to drug test a potential employee when their recreational usage does not interfere with their work ethics, such as the point with me.
I have never let my once in a while usage or taste for alcohol ever get in the way of work. I have always gone to work completely sober and never came into work with a hangover. I believe that is poor work ethics and just looks bad on me...and I like to look good and present myself in the way I want to...especially in front of the boss.

4,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I think they only do it so people don't come to work all ******** up and stuff.
Although there are a lot of ways to pass a drug test now. So I don't think people should care too much, you can just get the s**t to clean your system out and you're all right (hopefully).
So stop bitching!
im in the military, i get to take a piss test at least once every other month or so, sometimes ive had the test 3 times in one month. My command does it by "random" 10% per week... so i guess its the luck of the draw, but it still sucks

its all good ive been drug free for at least 3 years now...
ReiDuck
elzibeta
ReiDuck
elzibeta
Dr Dev
elzibeta
drug addicts steal!

Why? If drug use is ruining someone's life, then their performance at work will drop, and you fire them for bad performance or for being impaired at work. Drug testing does not show the difference between the lowest of addicts and the safest of casual users, and so all this will do is remove from the workplace people who are using drugs safely and responsibly.

Hell, a firned of mine is a junkie, and he works 10-12 hours a day. He's completing his Ph.D at Stanford, and while occasionally his addiction becomes a problem for him, he never lets it interfere with or endanger his work.

but why should an employer take that risk in the first place?

if i wanted to have a sure-fire way to know that i would not be hiring someone who could cause me financial problems in the end, i would do it.

it's nice to see your friend is a junkie and manages all that, but i don't see how thats going to be possible in the long run to maintain that lifestyle unless he shapes up and slows down and eventually stops

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff