Welcome to Gaia! ::

Charming Ishim
Not her alone, but her and her "Twitter Army" according to her ex. There is a huge amount of crazy people in the social justice crowd that followers her.

Which brings us to another problem. I'm not exactly sure how far I'd trust her ex, either. He's not impartial in any of this, and while he claims to have written that blog to 'warn' people away from dating Zoe, I have to wonder how much of that was actually motivated by revenge. I'm not saying it's all full of lies, or that it makes everything he wrote automatically false, but, at the same time, it doesn't completely convince me, either.

I've been in bad relationships, I've been lied to and I've been cheated on. I can't honestly say I handled that well, but I can say that I was able to get up, dust myself off, and not write a blog full of private things that were told to me in confidence.

Benevolent Defender

12,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Maltese_Falcon91
Naughtminding
Fear not though, I am sure I can start being actually insulting to you if you prefer to see the difference between the two.

Go nuts.

That really all you want to comment on? Well I guess it makes sense when you got nothing of substance to begin with. Sadly, not really in the mood to insult you though. Would hate to derail the thread and have people assume you matter, especially given that even the rest of your conversations seem to be about arguing that because we don't have video footage of Zoe doing all the things, that she must not be culpable for any of them.

Angelic Exhibitionist

11,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Latest updates on this drama, all the gaming sites involved in this incident calling the term "gamers" dead. This happening the moment the gamers started mass emailing their advertising partners.

Me included, I emailed newegg about these "journalism sites" because I bought over $5000 worth of things with them. Linked to my account in the email saying how regular i am there.

I can tell when someone is out of aces and all their chips are on the table. So all the gamers have to do is call their bluff and keep their hand as it is.

Benevolent Defender

12,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Charming Ishim
Latest updates on this drama, all the gaming sites involved in this incident calling the term "gamers" dead. This happening the moment the gamers started mass emailing their advertising partners.

Me included, I emailed newegg about these "journalism sites" because I bought over $5000 worth of things with them. Linked to my account in the email saying how regular i am there.

I can tell when someone is out of aces and all their chips are on the table. So all the gamers have to do is call their bluff and keep their hand as it is.

I was amazed when I read I was dead. Had a sudden 6th sense moment there before I realized that these journalists probably aren't very trustworthy.

Still, I think this is getting absurdly hilarious. Good stuff.

Dapper Shade

7,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Noble Shade 100
Someone at Kotaku is the center of all this? Who'd have ******** guessed. lol

Benevolent Defender

12,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ah the sound of silence from noting having to listen to a professional derailer misrepresent and bastardize a discussion.

anyways though, yeah, the advertisers are very important in this whole thing. A site without them is a bankrupt site in the end, and if they truly want to spend their time trying to shame and blame gamers about boogie men and extremest as if those represent the whole community, then the advertisers need to be made away of such openly anti-consumer that behavior is and how that will impact people's purchasing of their products.

Thge sole reasons gaming journalism exists is because of the demand and interest of gamers themselves. It has been co-opted by social interests and marketing departments and we let it. but the power is still ours in the end, so lets flex it a little and remind them who their boss in this really is in the end. And remind them that we want better journalistic integrity then public attempts to shame over social bullshit outrage and deflecting criticism behind the cape of "it is because you are against equality"

Moonlight Explorer

14,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Naughtminding
Ah the sound of silence from noting having to listen to a professional derailer misrepresent and bastardize a discussion.

anyways though, yeah, the advertisers are very important in this whole thing. A site without them is a bankrupt site in the end, and if they truly want to spend their time trying to shame and blame gamers about boogie men and extremest as if those represent the whole community, then the advertisers need to be made away of such openly anti-consumer that behavior is and how that will impact people's purchasing of their products.

Thge sole reasons gaming journalism exists is because of the demand and interest of gamers themselves. It has been co-opted by social interests and marketing departments and we let it. but the power is still ours in the end, so lets flex it a little and remind them who their boss in this really is in the end. And remind them that we want better journalistic integrity then public attempts to shame over social bullshit outrage and deflecting criticism behind the cape of "it is because you are against equality"

Remember, the demographic they just insulted is also the demographic advertisers like (18-30 males). They just shot themselves in the foot.

Benevolent Defender

12,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

Remember, the demographic they just insulted is also the demographic advertisers like (18-30 males). They just shot themselves in the foot.

Very true. Also is sort of that "golden demographic" that is most profitable in general if I remember correctly. So advertisers should be very worried at that point, as it isn't just the usual demographic they go after, but also the most profitable in general, meaning that even if you got an equal amount of another demographic to replace them (you wouldn't, given the subject matter itself, but still), it would still be worth less money for that weight.

Moonlight Explorer

14,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

Very true. Also is sort of that "golden demographic" that is most profitable in general if I remember correctly. So advertisers should be very worried at that point, as it isn't just the usual demographic they go after, but also the most profitable in general, meaning that even if you got an equal amount of another demographic to replace them (you wouldn't, given the subject matter itself, but still), it would still be worth less money for that weight.

Well they claimed that 'adult women' are now outnumbering teenage men as gamers, though why they think they can suddenly court them and win them over is beyond me, as the study they cited specifically listed gamer as 'anyone who ever plays games ever regardless of what it is or how much.' So they would have to win the demographic of Angry Birds/Flappy Bird/Farmville/casual gaming in general crowd who isn't going to care about the latest Assasin's Creed or Call of Duty.
Clearly they're geniuses.

Benevolent Defender

12,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

Well they claimed that 'adult women' are now outnumbering teenage men as gamers, though why they think they can suddenly court them and win them over is beyond me, as the study they cited specifically listed gamer as 'anyone who ever plays games ever regardless of what it is or how much.' So they would have to win the demographic of Angry Birds/Flappy Bird/Farmville/casual gaming in general crowd who isn't going to care about the latest Assasin's Creed or Call of Duty.

oh yeah, I read that one. Shame they were also including mobile gaming though, because it ignores the actual profitability of the gamer, and thus is meaningless when it comes to predicting trends of who the main gaming "audience" is in terms of demographics.
You could have 10 million women on an iphone ap game and 100 men on ps4, and they would catter to the men, not because of sexism, but because the ps4 and games make them far more money in the end so they would respond to the buying habits of whoever was buying the systems and games.

Angelic Exhibitionist

11,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

But not their readers, most of their readers are those of the "gamer demographic"

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

oh yeah, I read that one. Shame they were also including mobile gaming though, because it ignores the actual profitability of the gamer, and thus is meaningless when it comes to predicting trends of who the main gaming "audience" is in terms of demographics.
You could have 10 million women on an iphone ap game and 100 men on ps4, and they would catter to the men, not because of sexism, but because the ps4 and games make them far more money in the end so they would respond to the buying habits of whoever was buying the systems and games.
10 million women on an iphone app game would generate far more profits than 100 men on a ps4 title. The facebook/mobile markets generate billions of dollars, a noticeable portion of the overall gaming market. Dismissing it as insignificant is foolish.

Perhaps the reason why many ladies don't participate (as much) in the pc/platform gaming markets is because of how unwelcoming and hostile they are.

Moonlight Explorer

14,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Morbid Gnome
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

10 million women on an iphone app game would generate far more profits than 100 men on a ps4 title. The facebook/mobile markets generate billions of dollars, a noticeable portion of the overall gaming market. Dismissing it as insignificant is foolish.

Perhaps the reason why many ladies don't participate (as much) in the pc/platform gaming markets is because of how unwelcoming and hostile they are.

Perhaps.
My point was though that there isn't much...shall we say clickability(?) in casual gaming headlines. There's nothing really there to drive traffic towards the site, because how many of the 10 million women would actively care about the development of the newest social game?

Angelic Exhibitionist

11,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
Morbid Gnome

The market itself is a huge gamble though, its so bloated with so many games that the primary factor on if it makes any money at all is luck. The game itself being a secondary factor.

Benevolent Defender

12,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Morbid Gnome
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding
Inertial Mass
Naughtminding

I'm not dismissing it outright, but one has to put these things into perspective. I suppose it didn't help that I meant to have it be 1 million men there and my wires got crossed when typing. Still, the point I was trying to raise was that it isn't numbers in general, but profit off of those numbers. Even taking my intended 1 million men number, if those 1 million men all buy a ps4, a game, and a new game every 3 months, that is about what? 750 a year from them? so 750 million in income. Halving that for development cost still gets 375 mill a year. Hell losing the entirety of the system cost in development and halving the games, you still get 120 million. Go to the more mobile market, where games are a buck or so, that 10 million is still just 10 million. Hell, lets be fair and quadruple that for ingame purchases and get 40 million. And we both know I am pulling these numbers out of my rear and that the number of people on ps4 are massively more, and such.
My point was, and stands, that while nice to hear, the amount of women gamers in relation to male teens doesn't mean anything overall if the financial aspects are so disparaging.

As for why there aren't so many in gaming, well, I would assume that is a personal choice on their part. For alI see people claiming there is hostility and unwelcomeness, not a woman I know in person has ever claimed it or cited an example that was unique to them. And many are actively opposed to that narrative because they see themselves as gamers as much as I do and feel openly insulted when someone tells them that they (gamers) aren't inclusive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff