Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bioshock.

Soon to be defeated by Bioshock: Infinite.

Best RPG? Dragon Age: Origins.

Puzzle? Portal.
The piece of media that breaks a great deal of ground is never the best at what it does. Those first few steps into uncharted territory are always shaky. That's why Twilight Princess is better than Ocarina of Time, and many of the best games ever(Bioshock, Nier, Half-Life 2) walk roads well-traveled.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Momo_Kitten
OOT? Oh well no doubt it's one of the greats but greatest game of all time? No, there are simply too many games with that distinction.

But from personal experience I'd have to say for me that game is Final Fantasy IX, this is a game I've played more times than any other game in my collection and I'm talking beginning to end, all ultimate weapons, golden chocobo obtained, all magic and summons mastered, everything.

Again that's just me, but I love FFIX.
User ImageWee yea ra enne ar sar. Wee yea ra enne ar dor
Wee yea ra enne ar ciel. Rrha yea ra ieeya en near

I could be wrong, but the bold part sounds more like Final Fantasy VII than IX.

I don't remember having to master magics and summons, or being able to get a golden chocobo in final fantasy IX, but it has been a long time since I've played it so perhaps my memory is just terrible.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
I saw that argument a while ago about whether it's an Adventure game or an RPG. Then I read that it won both 'Best Adventure' and 'Best RPG' of the year, and I just felt like, "Oh, come on..."

The other nominated games for best RPG that year were Pokemon and Parasite Eve, and although I never played Parasite Eve, I can't see how it can beat those two in a clearly separate genre altogether.

This is why I avoid the media. I'd honestly rather hook up my Atari 7800 and play Spider Fighter than that game again. I'll just pretend they're Skulltulas...

Browser

5,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Hell, in my book, the greatest game of all time is Tales of Symphonia.
smashbrolink
If by "greatest" you mean "most influential 3D adventure game", then yes....

This. There is no greatest game and there never will be. Why? Opinions.
User Image
Mir Teiwaz
Momo_Kitten
OOT? Oh well no doubt it's one of the greats but greatest game of all time? No, there are simply too many games with that distinction.

But from personal experience I'd have to say for me that game is Final Fantasy IX, this is a game I've played more times than any other game in my collection and I'm talking beginning to end, all ultimate weapons, golden chocobo obtained, all magic and summons mastered, everything.

Again that's just me, but I love FFIX.

I could be wrong, but the bold part sounds more like Final Fantasy VII than IX.

I don't remember having to master magics and summons, or being able to get a golden chocobo in final fantasy IX, but it has been a long time since I've played it so perhaps my memory is just terrible.

Every Final Fantasy game as far as I know has ultimate weapons for the characters as well as magic abilities and summons, in FFVII they were called Materia and FFIX did have chocobo for it's lengthy mini-game Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Momo_Kitten
Every Final Fantasy game as far as I know has ultimate weapons for the characters as well as magic abilities and summons, in FFVII they were called Materia and FFIX did have chocobo for it's lengthy mini-game Chocobo Hot & Cold.

I was referring specifically to the parts about MASTERING MAGIC AND SUMMONS.

I don't remember mastering anything in FFIX, just that you had to constantly use certain weapons to learn things.

Again, I could be wrong. I only got to the beginning of disc 3 before I got bored and that was probably about 10 years ago. If I'm wrong, cool. It certainly wouldn't be the first, or last, time.
Mir Teiwaz
Momo_Kitten

I was referring specifically to the parts about MASTERING MAGIC AND SUMMONS.

I don't remember mastering anything in FFIX, just that you had to constantly use certain weapons to learn things.

Again, I could be wrong. I only got to the beginning of disc 3 before I got bored and that was probably about 10 years ago. If I'm wrong, cool. It certainly wouldn't be the first, or last, time.

I guess it could be learned or mastered, they go both ways, but that's just me.

Fluffy Bear

22,650 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
It's great in how solid it is as a story and as a game. It's historically powerful as well. Universally loved, really. It's not conceited to say it's the greatest game ever. I personally have other favorites, but it is one of the best.

Powerhouse

It's a toss-up between Half Life and Metal Gear Solid for me.

Friendly Lunatic

I wouldn't say OOT is the best game of all time, but it is one of my favorites. It's a really great game, imo, due to it's epic feel and a wide variety of emotion throughout that is presented in many aspects of the game; not-to-mention also has a good balance, it's not too simple or too complicated of a game and anyone can play it. Yadda yadda yadda.
Although, it's hard to flat out say that one game is the best; I mean, there are so many games out there with many different genres and people with different tastes and view points that completely make comparing games impossible.

Aged Lunatic

smashbrolink
If by "greatest" you mean "most influential 3D adventure game", then yes.

Actually, Ultima Underworld and the original Alone in the Dark are just as strong a contender for that title.
Pinkie Pyro
You can't name the best game of all time.

Time hasn't ended.

I agree. No matter how good a game is, there is always going to be something better eventually.

Perfect Lover

11,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
there is no one game and never will be

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers