Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

Supertaquito
GunsmithKitten
Caucasian Walk
It's because some people actually have the idea in their head that a console is a cheaper purchase.

Got my PS3 for 250$

Can you build me a computer that'll run current gen on max settings for that same price?

No, but Im sure he, and myself can build you a computer that will run all games from the past 2 console generations, and the upcoming generations for 900 dollars.

Beautiful investment if you consider how inflated console games are.

I won't argue the longterm. I understand that. But again, that initial is still a shock to the bank account.
GunsmithKitten
Supertaquito
GunsmithKitten
Caucasian Walk
It's because some people actually have the idea in their head that a console is a cheaper purchase.

Got my PS3 for 250$

Can you build me a computer that'll run current gen on max settings for that same price?

No, but Im sure he, and myself can build you a computer that will run all games from the past 2 console generations, and the upcoming generations for 900 dollars.

Beautiful investment if you consider how inflated console games are.

I won't argue the longterm. I understand that. But again, that initial is still a shock to the bank account.

Well, I won't argue that. Dropping 900 dollars isn't for everybody who doesn't have a good paying job. I'm lucky I was able to drop 1200 for mine in one blow thanks to my job.

But just as people wait for a console to go down, you can take the same time to buy your parts little by little before putting your computer together.

I do love consoles, I still have my old faithful play station. But I am a fan of modding, and overall better picture quality that computers bring into play.

Liberal Streaker

3,850 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
GunsmithKitten
Caucasian Walk

Got my PS3 for 250$

That's only after they dropped the price.

Aged Lunatic

Caucasian Walk
GunsmithKitten
Caucasian Walk

Got my PS3 for 250$

Your point? I don't usually buy consoles on day 1 release. I'm fine to wait.

Newbie Noob

I prefer console games because I can lay back or lay down while I play them. I also don't have to worry about my computer not being able to handle the game or lagging me out of the game.

I don't mind gaming from my computer but there are some games that just lag me to the point of the game being unplayable. emo

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150

Can't exactly explain why, but console gaming just feels better to me. I've played games on PC, using a controller, that I've also played on console. Nearly everything was the same, but for whatever reason, I couldn't stand playing it on PC. This is why I don't play emulated older games, much. I just... hate using a PC for gaming. I hate how it feels.

But, think of it like this. Console gaming is really only more expensive if you buy the system and the games when they're brand new. I've -never- purchased a console within the first two years of its lifespan, and I almost never buy games until they've hit, at most, a third their initial sales price. I also only have to buy a new system roughly once every seven years. That's an (approximately) $250 system every seven years, and even if I bought a game every month? At $10-20 each, that's an average of $1500 every seven years on gaming.

The best I've -ever- heard anybody realistically dictate prices for PC gaming? $500 if they build their own computer, and that's not going to play -EVERYTHING- on the highest settings, and a few things won't play on anything except minimum settings. Downloading the games might only be around $10-20 as well, but you have to get a new computer, or serious updates, every three or four years to keep up to date. That's $500 on computers every four years, plus the games. That brings the -minimum- cost, buying one game a month, to $1000 every four years. The $1500 every seven years for consoles is an -average-, not minimum.

I don't see how it's even remotely cheaper to game on PC. I just don't see how it's possible.

Generous Exhibitionist

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Love Machine 150
Caucasian Walk
GunsmithKitten
Caucasian Walk

Got my PS3 for 250$

Who the hell is dumb enough to buy a console on launch?

In their first year, consoles are not only the most expensive, but the buggiest -and- the most limited on games they'll ever be. If you hold off from buying the system for a year or two, you're spending nowhere near the launch price on a genuinely superior product compared to how it was originally.

Do PC gamers think console gaming is more expensive because they assume console gamers buy everything the moment it comes out? That's just ridiculous.
Poeden

Can't exactly explain why, but console gaming just feels better to me. I've played games on PC, using a controller, that I've also played on console. Nearly everything was the same, but for whatever reason, I couldn't stand playing it on PC. This is why I don't play emulated older games, much. I just... hate using a PC for gaming. I hate how it feels.

But, think of it like this. Console gaming is really only more expensive if you buy the system and the games when they're brand new. I've -never- purchased a console within the first two years of its lifespan, and I almost never buy games until they've hit, at most, a third their initial sales price. I also only have to buy a new system roughly once every seven years. That's an (approximately) $250 system every seven years, and even if I bought a game every month? At $10-20 each, that's an average of $1500 every seven years on gaming.

The best I've -ever- heard anybody realistically dictate prices for PC gaming? $500 if they build their own computer, and that's not going to play -EVERYTHING- on the highest settings, and a few things won't play on anything except minimum settings. Downloading the games might only be around $10-20 as well, but you have to get a new computer, or serious updates, every three or four years to keep up to date. That's $500 on computers every four years, plus the games. That brings the -minimum- cost, buying one game a month, to $1000 every four years. The $1500 every seven years for consoles is an -average-, not minimum.

I don't see how it's even remotely cheaper to game on PC. I just don't see how it's possible.

I can get any game you're playing for cheaper than you can (or for free, if I really wanted to) and in higher quality. Barring console exclusives of course, but PC also has its own exclusives.
Honestly? Triggers and thumbsticks. This is actually where I get torn two ways. I prefer using a stick over WASD for movement, which is easy enough with a gamepad if you're willing to trade off all the rest of the buttons of the keyboard. I also prefer triggers and face buttons to the clicking of a mouse, but the camera precision offered by a mouse sure is tantalizing.
Poeden
Caucasian Walk
GunsmithKitten
Caucasian Walk

Got my PS3 for 250$

Who the hell is dumb enough to buy a console on launch?

In their first year, consoles are not only the most expensive, but the buggiest -and- the most limited on games they'll ever be. If you hold off from buying the system for a year or two, you're spending nowhere near the launch price on a genuinely superior product compared to how it was originally.

Do PC gamers think console gaming is more expensive because they assume console gamers buy everything the moment it comes out? That's just ridiculous.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is one of the advantages of PC Gamers.
Whenever a new Graphics card is out, we just lay back, and click on order. Then it gets to us.

Aged Citizen

I like both.

I find myself more relaxed when I'm playing a game on the console versus when I play on the PC.
It's more of a solitary pursuit, I only play single player on my 360. It's why, if the rumours prove true and the next xbox requires an "always on" connection to the internet, then I won't be buying it (I'll get the next Playstation instead since they've confirmed that they won't be doing that).

On the PC, which is obviously connected online, I branch out and play multiplayer games aswell. I'm still a heavy WoW player, for an example.
But I defintely get more GRR when I play PC, probably because I'm closer to the screen.

I could play a console for hours without requiring a break, stretched out comfortably in a chair in front of the TV with my feet up.

But I don't believe I have a preference for either.

I'm on my PC more often, I'm on it everyday, whereas my console can sit for a week or two at a time without being touched.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would really have a preference either way.

Although... imo.. anyone who prefers FPS on the console, using a controller rather than mouse/keyboard, they're wrong. Dead wrong. Controller on an FPS? fark that.
User Image

I like both...

Computers for emulators, consoles for games that I actually have.

User Image

Perfect Lover

10,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
It just works, big tv, cheaper, I like the dualshock best as a controller, I like phyical discs, JRPGs are 99% of time console exclusive.

Witty Genius

Two main reasons security and exclusives. I like to have the security that the game I'm buying for my console will work perfectly on the highest setting the console can handle. With a PC you have to check the specs of the games to make sure it can run on your computer and then there may be a possibility where it may not work on the highest settings, also a good 90% of the games I want are console exclusive there are a few games I have on my PC that thankfully can run on it but other than that I mainly use my PC for Emulation.

Distinct Lunatic

2,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
Supertaquito
Im to the left there
Supertaquito
Is it that a console just ''works'' and you don't need to worry about the chances of the game not running, price difference, or what could it be?

What would you say if someday the Console and PC online communities were able to play together?

Exclusives. But then again, I have all the consoles and a PC.

Also, both PC and consoles have palyed together in the game Shadowrun. It was an FPS and the PC players just kept destroying console players so they shut down multiplayer.

In the future I believe there will be an implementation to have the servers set up with same levels of sensitivity for the mouse and control pads. That would even things out pretty nicely.
You just don't get the same level of sensitivity from an analog stick as you can from a mouse. You'll never be able to.

That and RTS games need macro keys and being able to click and drag for units and other commands.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games