Welcome to Gaia! ::

Diligent Student

I'm deaf and they do nothing to suggest some games I want to buy! I bought them then leave and said "Thanks!"

If I like to purchase new game (old game box haven't open for long time). But GS employee picked new game box instead. O.o

Sparkling Streaker

No GameStop here, but I have come across a rather dodgy EB store. I checked online to see if they had Sims 2 in stock, which they did, and my mum's partner went into that store to get it. They had the case, but no disc, and they said that a lot of their stuff was like that. emotion_facepalm neutral neutral neutral

Aged Citizen

I have weird experiences in game shops in general..

I went into an EB saw two preowned versions of a game on shelf, one $3 and one $7.. I bought the $3 version, it wouldn't play on my console so I took it back and they swapped the disc (obviously the $7 version).. I bet you (I'll bet you the $4 difference, in fact) that they put the $3 version back behind the counter for the unlucky schmuck that buys the $7 version.

And the amount of times that I've seen a preowned version of the game more expensive than the new version... Keep in mind that the prices I'm saying are Australian, and I once saw a preowned version of whatever game for $90 when the new version had lowered it's price to around $50. When price differences are THAT different, I tend to move the new version to sit right next to the preowned version as a quiet "******** you" to the store. lol

But staff actually trying to be helpful? Rarely. And I don't shun it when it happens. I absolutely do not flip out and refuse to buy a game when it does happen though.. just saying.
Luna Kyu
So Today I headed to Gamestop to see uf they had a copy of Far Cry Vengeance, they did as i went to pay for it the guy at cash register told me not to buy it cause it was a bad game and instead told me to buy The Conduit what the ******** Gamestop your suppose to sell games ._.

Anyways I didn't buy either, there is another Gamestop i can go to lol

WOW, they told you to by "The Conduit" over another game? That game really MUST be bad...

Anyway, it could've been a good thing. Maybe he just didn't want to have you become an unsatisfied customer, though I can understand you feeling like he was telling you want to buy. It's a double edged sword.

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Raven Prime
Yeah, I hate it when people try to give me advice to potentially avoid a bad purchase. Oh wait no, I don't, because it's good salesmanship to warn the customer that the product they want to purchase might not be worth it.

Shockingly, you do have the right to say "No, that's okay, I'll still get this."

b***h when Gamestop's "all about the money", b***h when Gamestop tries to talk you out of a sale of a game that had horrible reviews.

This is why I don't take any Gamestop hater seriously.

^ This, a million times this.

Really OP you whine about an employee warning you about a game that might not be worth purchasing, potentially saving you some money that would be best spent in a better game? a game that by their experience has had a lot of returns and has dropped in price drastically in a very small timeframe?

Wow just wow, It is not like he can STOP you from purchasing it you know? he is just giving you an advice you could just say "Thanks for the advice but I will get this game still" and you would be done, I really doubt he held you at gunpoint forcing you NOT to buy it.

When I go to a gamestore I do appreciate it when the employees give me their opinions some times they go like "Hey man good choice that is a very good game" or they go like "You sure you want that? it isnt a very good game it has a big return ratio" thanks to that I have saved a lot of money by avoiding purchases that (after a rental) I realized would of jus tpissed me off had I bought the game.

And when I stillw anted to buy it I just bought it regardless of their opinion.

So you prefer to walk into a gamestore and have no one pay attention to you the only interaction being the payment transaction? amazing.
Raven Prime
Yeah, I hate it when people try to give me advice to potentially avoid a bad purchase. Oh wait no, I don't, because it's good salesmanship to warn the customer that the product they want to purchase might not be worth it.

Shockingly, you do have the right to say "No, that's okay, I'll still get this."

b***h when Gamestop's "all about the money", b***h when Gamestop tries to talk you out of a sale of a game that had horrible reviews.

This is why I don't take any Gamestop hater seriously.

I agree that this kid has a bad reason for hate, but I wouldn't go as far as saying GameStop haters don't have good reason for hating them, considering I think they are the sole downfall to the Video Games, or at least a very large part of it.

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Lost Dynamis

I agree that this kid has a bad reason for hate, but I wouldn't go as far as saying GameStop haters don't have good reason for hating them, considering I think they are the sole downfall to the Video Games, or at least a very large part of it.

I am intrigued, why do you think a game store is the sole downfall to Videogames? it is not like they produce them, they only sell them, the downfall of videogames is the responsability of the game developers.
Nikky Bikcin
Lost Dynamis

I am intrigued, why do you think a game store is the sole downfall to Videogames? it is not like they produce them, they only sell them, the downfall of videogames is the responsability of the game developers.

Because their entire business model is based on screwing over said developers. Even if they made a good game that warrants its sales, its sales will be butchered because of the Used sales that GameStop holds and considering there are thousands of these stores all around the world, most people go there by habit to get their games and everyone would be more than willing to get the Used copy vs the New copy for 5 dollars cheaper.

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Lost Dynamis
Nikky Bikcin
Lost Dynamis

Because their entire business model is based on screwing over said developers. Even if they made a good game that warrants its sales, its sales will be butchered because of the Used sales that GameStop holds and considering there are thousands of these stores all around the world, most people go there by habit to get their games and everyone would be more than willing to get the Used copy vs the New copy for 5 dollars cheaper.

I dont agree, many game stores have a similar model, I dont have a Gamestop here but I do have stores like:

Gamers
Game n Rush
Game Planet

Etc. and they all will accept game returns and will sell USED games, in the end it is the consumer wich decides if they want to purchase the game NEW or purchase a USED game, as you stated people are willing to buy a game Used for 5 dollars less, not me I always purchase brand new games, and I am sure many more do, in the end it is the consumers choice no one is forcing you to buy used games.
Nikky Bikcin
Lost Dynamis
Nikky Bikcin
Lost Dynamis

I dont agree, many game stores have a similar model, I dont have a Gamestop here but I do have stores like:

Gamers
Game n Rush
Game Planet

Etc. and they all will accept game returns and will sell USED games, in the end it is the consumer wich decides if they want to purchase the game NEW or purchase a USED game, as you stated people are willing to buy a game Used for 5 dollars less, not me I always purchase brand new games, and I am sure many more do, in the end it is the consumers choice no one is forcing you to buy used games.

Well yeah, these people are guilty of the same thing, except in those cases it's mostly just a Mom and Pop store or a smaller chain. Which in all fairness it's the lesser of the two evils. Whereas you got GameStop which is considering eliminating their New Game section and putting the new games behind the used games so increase their revenue. And not to mention they treat their employees like dirt...

The thing is, though.. is that flat out Used game sales have been hurting Developers more than anything and that's why we get s**t like Season Passes and DLC for Single Player quests ( Kingdoms of Amalur ), it's so people are motivated to get the full game and if they don't, they gotta buy the DLC. If used games weren't so prominent, I'm sure DLC would still exists but no where near as bad as it is now.

Developers work even harder in this generation to make it by and when you have GameStop monopolizing the entire industry and telling you to save 5 dollars so the developers; the reason the game exists, gets no money out of it... Your money is going to the wrong place.

And I will say it again. I completely agree that other chains like your Game Planet are guilty of the same thing, but the fact is Game Planet isn't a multiBILLION dollar corporation. And I think Used Game sales should be illegal until the games are out of print.

No one is forcing you to buy used games? Yeah that's true... but considering they have their Edge Card which only works on Used games, 5 dollars off new price, bigger selection, more advertised, and much better return policy... It's clear that GameStop is fishing for it and a HUGE majority takes the bait.
Our Gamestop workers are not like that at all. I think it depends on the location and the employees. Both our Mall's Gamestop and the one by Wal-Mart are pretty up kept and have employees who have a brain. Though, I like my Video Games ETC more when I want to look for an older game.

Though, I once bought Alundra used at Gamestop years ago. The disk stopped working at some point of the game. Retried it countless times. Game Stop was nice enough to replace the disk for me.

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Lost Dynamis

Well yeah, these people are guilty of the same thing, except in those cases it's mostly just a Mom and Pop store or a smaller chain. Which in all fairness it's the lesser of the two evils. Whereas you got GameStop which is considering eliminating their New Game section and putting the new games behind the used games so increase their revenue. And not to mention they treat their employees like dirt...

Well I don't know about how Gamestop treats their employees so I can not really comment on that matter, so I will take your word for that. I do agree hiding th enew games behind used ones is not good but even then if people truly want to buy the NEW game all they have to do is strain a little to just look behidn the USED games and ask for a NEW copy, and if they remove new games then consumers have the power to stop buying there and trust me when they see their sales plummeling free fall they will realize that they are doing wrong, however as long as people keep buying their "USED" games they will keep selling them it is a very simple concept really.

Lost Dynamis

The thing is, though.. is that flat out Used game sales have been hurting Developers more than anything and that's why we get s**t like Season Passes and DLC for Single Player quests ( Kingdoms of Amalur ), it's so people are motivated to get the full game and if they don't, they gotta buy the DLC. If used games weren't so prominent, I'm sure DLC would still exists but no where near as bad as it is now.

Yes used game sales hurt the developer since no money from that sale goes towards them but once more you, I and everyone else has the choice and can decide wether to go for $5 cheaper used copy or pay full price for a brand new game, the power to stop this is on the consumers. And yes I am sure that DLC would still exist with or withotu used game sales, you know why? because it is more money for them.

Lost Dynamis

Developers work even harder in this generation to make it by and when you have GameStop monopolizing the entire industry and telling you to save 5 dollars so the developers; the reason the game exists, gets no money out of it... Your money is going to the wrong place.

Yet again I repeat my self they can tell you to save 5 dollars, yet you can tell them to F*** off and buy a brand new game regardless, or just not shop with them alltogether, game developers offer direct sales from their websites where you can place an order for their game.

Lost Dynamis

And I will say it again. I completely agree that other chains like your Game Planet are guilty of the same thing, but the fact is Game Planet isn't a multiBILLION dollar corporation. And I think Used Game sales should be illegal until the games are out of print.

I dont think used game sales should be illegal if you did that then USED item sales should be illegal on every department, because in the end it does not matter if you are shopping for a car, for a game, for a movie etc in the end buyign a used item will not give any money to the actual manufacturer/producer/developer.

Lost Dynamis

No one is forcing you to buy used games? Yeah that's true... but considering they have their Edge Card which only works on Used games, 5 dollars off new price, bigger selection, more advertised, and much better return policy... It's clear that GameStop is fishing for it and a HUGE majority takes the bait.

And once more who si at fautl here? the consumer, if you know their card only works on used games then why get one int he first place if you dont plan on buying used games? again if people are so cheap as to not wanting to pay 5 dolalrs more for a brand new game then it is their problem as I said I have no problem paying full retail price. Sure they are fishing for the whole used games thing, but in the end the choice is yours and yours alone.

Pro Tip? Dont buy at Gamestop, if their sales begin to pummel then they will need to react.
Nikky Bikcin
Pro Tip? Dont buy at Gamestop, if their sales begin to pummel then they will need to react.

I don't. Lol.

But that doesn't stop other people from shopping there.
you also have to be careful with your trade-ins. Your games can be in great condition yet depending on the one you go too, they will charge you a refurbish fee. watch your little screen on the debit/credit card machine.

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Lost Dynamis
Nikky Bikcin

I don't. Lol.

But that doesn't stop other people from shopping there.

Then those are the people to blame for the videgame downfall, if people stopped shopping there or only went for NEW games and did nto purchase USED ones youd see their policy change, otherwise this s***t will go on, anyways thanks for this interesting talk. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff