Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
I guess the word "finish" might have a different meaning for everybody. To me, finishing a game means doing all the things what the games have to offer.

To me, having an established goal in mind makes it all possible...most of the time unless something bad really plagues the game(which you will later read about).

Here's are some examples on :

My favorite game is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP. I finish the game meaning I beat every single monster that's been programmed in the game even the Fatalis Trio regardless of the HR. I completed my Alchemy book. I want to be an average monster hunter who can take down monster solo. Boy, did it feel good! wink

I beat Pokemon White 2 on my DSI XL. I finished the story. cool

Now onto what makes me not finish a game:

I wanted to beat Spectral Souls on the PSP. I wanted to see the story to the end. What plague the game? Loading time was the longest I ever experienced in a game. It felt like 10 seconds for each action. It's like giving you a ice cream and you eat it and someone takes it away and then 10 seconds later gives it back to you and the cycle repeats. You will finish the ice cream much longer. crying

If I ever program a game like this, I would probably never forgive myself and do everything I can to prevent this from ever happening and reaching player's hand or even better yet cancel the project. I am basically talking about loading times for every basic thing you can do in the game: Saving a game, loading animation for a spell, going into a shop, and even loading a dialogue screen. What the heck, man seriously? This is unheard of.

I like to hear your stories and reasons! xd

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWee yea ra enne ar sar. Wee yea ra enne ar dor
Wee yea ra enne ar ciel. Rrha yea ra ieeya en near

For me, personally, a game needs a good story to keep me going.

I've worked around crappy gameplay elements just to see a good story to the end. Ar Tonelico Qoga, which probably has the single most boring fighting system in a JRPG I've ever played, is one of my all time favorite games because of the story.

It's for this reason that games where they just toss you into the world and tell you do whatever you want (Minecraft, Skyrim, etc..) generally don't get as much playtime out of me as other, more structured games do.

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
Mir Teiwaz

I've worked around crappy gameplay elements just to see a good story to the end. Ar Tonelico Qoga, which probably has the single most boring fighting system in a JRPG I've ever played, is one of my all time favorite games because of the story.

It's for this reason that games where they just toss you into the world and tell you do whatever you want (Minecraft, Skyrim, etc..) generally don't get as much playtime out of me as other, more structured games do.

I actually enjoy Skyrim but not Minecraft. Well I played the Minecraft Free Version and it did not have much to offer. I fooled around in Skyrim for 9hrs and it was well-spent!
Mir Teiwaz

I agree with this to an extent. I only played the Legacy Of Kain games because the brilliant writing. The gameplay was dogshit to the max.

But I value gameplay more than story In the long run I think.

I also like unlockables.

Shepherd Sorey's Partner

Melodious Mage

13,425 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Doggone It! 100
For me to actually want to 100% a game, it has to be worth it and keep me interested at the same time.
Because of this, the only games I've ever 100% completed were the .hack//GU series and Golden Sun/tLA/Dark Dawn.
Games I do want to do 100% on would also be games with multiple endings and visual novels.

I usually cannot 100% a game if some things are way too hard for me to actually do or far too tedious. (for example I never got all of the beads in Okami and i never completed the item book in Tales of the Abyss)
Games like DA:O and Skyrim, I'll never 100% complete. I like the gameplay but, I get bored of them far too fast to even sit down and work on them. They're too open-ended, especially Skyrim.
Trophies are actually NOT an incentive for me to finish a game 100%. For me actually, they're mocking me because I play so damn casually and play favorites.

Timid Genius

6,500 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Steam Sales mostly.

Seriously though It's gotta have good gameplay, and and a 'good enough' story if it's an rpg. I don't expect a good story anymore. Maybe it was just because I was young and stupid but before I only played game's for the story, and now it seems very little of the game's I play have a good story to them. For me to finish it for the story I have to be really impressed with the story, very, very impressed.

To 100% a game means I have to be nuts for the game for a time. I think the last game I 100%'d was Little Big Planet 1&2. I don't even care enough about game's I've loved since I was a kid enough to 100%.

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
Unwavering Convictions
For me to actually want to 100% a game, it has to be worth it and keep me interested at the same time.
Because of this, the only games I've ever 100% completed were the .hack//GU series and Golden Sun/tLA/Dark Dawn.
Games I do want to do 100% on would also be games with multiple endings and visual novels.

I usually cannot 100% a game if some things are way too hard for me to actually do or far too tedious. (for example I never got all of the beads in Okami and i never completed the item book in Tales of the Abyss)
Games like DA:O and Skyrim, I'll never 100% complete. I like the gameplay but, I get bored of them far too fast to even sit down and work on them. They're too open-ended, especially Skyrim.
Trophies are actually NOT an incentive for me to finish a game 100%. For me actually, they're mocking me because I play so damn casually and play favorites.

I agree. Difficulty has its limits and open-ended cannot always be good. Tedious gameplay can be a bummer.
A good story keeps me going, but not when its spoonfed to you, that just gets old.

I enjoy JRPG's but lately haven't found any worth playing.
My last games I actually enjoyed where Demon's souls and Dark souls. Since then no other rpg has came close to that.

Before that I put around 75h+ on FFXIII(reason why I left it at that was partly due to being to cheap to buy part two x] )
Oh and currently making a very good attempt at going through diamond... I don't know what has actually keep me playing thus far, I can't pick up any of the new pokemon games without getting bored as f--k -.-"
I blame my experience with an action reply... since using that bad boy on my ruby, I haven't been able to fully enjoy a pokemon game. ":c

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
Meisei omei
Oh and currently making a very good attempt at going through diamond... I don't know what has actually keep me playing thus far, I can't pick up any of the new pokemon games without getting bored as f--k -.-"
I blame my experience with an action reply... since using that bad boy on my ruby, I haven't been able to fully enjoy a pokemon game. ":c

well yeah action replay makes it so easy to get pokemon and items. what you experience the easy way, you will not experience the hard way.
skyryo
Meisei omei

well yeah action replay makes it so easy to get pokemon and items. what you experience the easy way, you will not experience the hard way.

*sniffles*
The exp... will never be the same... :c

Noob

Usually, the gameplay keeps me encased in a game rather than the story. Like the Assassin's Creed franchise, for example. Every AC game ever released on a console, I've beaten in under a day because the gameplay is so damn good, especially the gameplay from AC3.
With other games that have stories that are actually good, it's the story that keeps me going. For example, Far Cry 3. It played like pretty much every other FPS game out there control and gameplay wise, but it had a deep, capturing story with memorable characters to boot. Also, there's tits in it. You just can't beat tits.
For most of the Sonic titles I play, it's because of nostalgia. I've been with Sonic ever since...ever, and blasting through stages at full speed is awesome. The cast of memorable characters is nice, but it'd be even better if Sega didn't just pull a new character straight from their a**. Yes, I'm looking at you, Silver, you marijuana-headed ********.
Jurassic Park from Telltale Games. The one thing I hated about it was one of the characters; she was one dumb bimbo. I couldn't stand the character, so it ruined the whole experience and I didn't bother to finish it.

I can definitely finish a Sonic game, though. No problem with those.

Invisible Citizen

6,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
For me, I'd say it's a mix of both gameplay and/or story. If a game has neither, I probably won't be playing it for very long or will just try to rush through it.

As for achievements... I only try to get the ones I know I can get. I've got too many games to backlog as it stands to worry about some of the more in depth achievements.

Demonic Rogue

1,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
If the graphics suck like the first Tomb Raider to the point that the game is unplayable, I won't waste my time. Yes, graphics. Bring it, haters. twisted

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff