Welcome to Gaia! ::

Git Gud and find out ,f*****t.

Demonic Lunatic

Gaming satisfaction after a difficult boss fight is the appeal for me.

PocketFoxo's Husbando

Ninja Crash40
Ruff Rabbit
You just sound like a butt hurt loser to me. If you don't like DS go back to CoD and stop complaining about it already.

Honestly, I'm most butthurt about the community that likes this game than the actual game... :/ The game IS NOT HARD, it's just cheap, and riddled with fake difficulty to the point of being borderline bad game design. Yet die hard fans who get hard on the idea of feeling superior over beating what is essentially a game that was DESIGNED to be beaten treat it like some rite of passage of being a hardcore gamer and if you don't play it, beat it and love it, you're a CoD fan... :/ I personaly have played and beaten harder Nintendo games, but never really felt the need to express how badass I am for beating them.

FYI, I did beat it and appreciate the story, lore and atmosphere, I'm just calling out bad design that people seem to confuse for difficulty.

Since you have yet to actually cite any examples of Dark Souls' "artificial" difficulty or bad design, you honestly just sound like one of those gamers who can't accept the fact that they failed at something in a video game, so they have to blame the game itself for their failure in some odd attempt to make sure their ego remains unscathed.

Artificial Difficulty refers to when a game makes it impossible for the player to accomplish the task at hand without failing at least once. An example of artificial difficulty would be games like I Wanna Be The Guy. In IWBTG, an apple will fall from a tree and kill you in like the first level, but guess what? No other apple but that specific one falls. That means it was impossible to not die without having played the level prior. In Dark Souls, it's entirely possible to go through a level without dying, but if you seriously haven't learned that a level has traps or that enemies like to hide around corners after hours of playing, then you've got no one to blame but yourself.
CatchMeIfUcan3
Formula for a successful game: Make something with repetitive gameplay, make it 'hard', and give it good aesthetics.

By aesthetics, I mean fierce looking weapons, monsters, and different environments.

It's essentially the COD of the RPG world.

no that's skyrim.

ds isn't hard, but it's not cod easy.
Ruff Rabbit
Tranquil Surrogate
Ruff Rabbit
You just sound like a butt hurt loser to me. If you don't like DS go back to CoD and stop complaining about it already.

EVERYBODY HAS TO LIKE DARK SOULS AND IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE A BUTTHURT LOSER

Seriously. Shut up.

Nobody has to like it but every other DS thread is "wah i dont like the game and there is no content in my thread" and it gets old.

Nah son. This is a public forum. I can post as much as I want. I could post twenty pages of spiderman memes. I could create a dozen threads about how various companies are driving themselves into the ground. I could make a thread about some gritty indie game that no one's ever heard of. If you don't wanna see my posts just block me, telling me to shut up ain't gonna stop my bitching.
And I can also tell you to shut up.

Hitched Witch

I honestly couldn't tell you. There's someone I work with that has spent hundreds of hours on Dark Souls 1 and 2. I played a small portion of the first Dark Souls. I ragequit.
Messenger Of The Wind
Ninja Crash40
Ruff Rabbit

Honestly, I'm most butthurt about the community that likes this game than the actual game... :/ The game IS NOT HARD, it's just cheap, and riddled with fake difficulty to the point of being borderline bad game design. Yet die hard fans who get hard on the idea of feeling superior over beating what is essentially a game that was DESIGNED to be beaten treat it like some rite of passage of being a hardcore gamer and if you don't play it, beat it and love it, you're a CoD fan... :/ I personaly have played and beaten harder Nintendo games, but never really felt the need to express how badass I am for beating them.

FYI, I did beat it and appreciate the story, lore and atmosphere, I'm just calling out bad design that people seem to confuse for difficulty.

Since you have yet to actually cite any examples of Dark Souls' "artificial" difficulty or bad design, you honestly just sound like one of those gamers who can't accept the fact that they failed at something in a video game, so they have to blame the game itself for their failure in some odd attempt to make sure their ego remains unscathed.

Artificial Difficulty refers to when a game makes it impossible for the player to accomplish the task at hand without failing at least once. An example of artificial difficulty would be games like I Wanna Be The Guy. In IWBTG, an apple will fall from a tree and kill you in like the first level, but guess what? No other apple but that specific one falls. That means it was impossible to not die without having played the level prior. In Dark Souls, it's entirely possible to go through a level without dying, but if you seriously haven't learned that a level has traps or that enemies like to hide around corners after hours of playing, then you've got no one to blame but yourself.

Artificial difficulty refers to something like Dead Rising 2... The game can become unbeatable if u miscalculate time spent, but you can restart it with all your levels intact. DS is based on trial and error, which would be fine, except the TAKE AWAY YOUR RESOURCES for doing what the game requires. That, plus cheap unavoidable damage, or even death, enemies spawning where you can't see them, bosses exploiting game mechanics to kill you(I have a really shitty story about that) etc. make it unnecessarily frustrating. Remember that archaic game over mechanic?(X lives, X continues, run out of both, start over) Design to artificially lengthen games back at the 80's/90's? That is DS, the logical extreme end of an outdated mechanic.

Remember that Nintendo game that I mentioned that's way harder than DS? That game was Donkey Kong Country Returns. I died in that game 5X in that game than I died in DS, but not once did I cried BS, or wanted to quit cause THAT circumvented that old, dated mechanic, and does trial and error.
AzN Dynomite
Gaming satisfaction after a difficult boss fight is the appeal for me.

Well... That is completely lost on me cause I've stopped feeling any real "challenge" in beating single player games.
FappingforPeace
Git Gud and find out ,f*****t.

What does "Git Gud" imply? Beating the game?

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Ninja Crash40
DS is based on trial and error.

It's not it's based on fairness

You don't make mistakes the game treats you fair.
You make a mistake it punishes you.

Mistakes being, being "greedy" while attacking and not managing your stamina.
Glorious Leader Luna
Ninja Crash40

So spawning an enemy behind me, or spotty controls is my "mistake"? Face it, dying is inevitable and punishing a player for that is just bad design.

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Dark Souls banks on its broken hard difficulty to feed gamer egotism, leading to a generally hostile fan base. When you insult the game, you insult them personally.

I didn't get very far into the franchise because I felt the game was stretching its content by killing me and making me wander through the whole level again. Some people chock it up to player mistakes, but I don't consider lacking precognition to be a mistake.
Yoshpet
Dark Souls banks on its broken hard difficulty to feed gamer egotism, leading to a generally hostile fan base. When you insult the game, you insult them personally.

I didn't get very far into the franchise because I felt the game was stretching its content by killing me and making me wander through the whole level again. Some people chock it up to player mistakes, but I don't consider lacking precognition to be a mistake.

Thank you! I've always suspected that, but I've never known a way to put it.
Ninja Crash40
Glorious Leader Luna
Ninja Crash40

So spawning an enemy behind me, or spotty controls is my "mistake"? Face it, dying is inevitable and punishing a player for that is just bad design.

??????????? Enemies do not spawn behind you. They might aggro from far away and then you just don't notice them until they backstab you, but enemies don't just spawn out of nowhere.
I wouldn't even say they punish you. Your souls are left intact right where you died until you die again, and if you die before reaching them it's because you either decided to go somewhere else or you didn't learn from your mistakes the first time (or admittedly the enemy has a really op attack you just aren't prepared to handle ((but you can block pretty much anything with a shield so that's not even a problem that often)) )
If the game were actually unfair it wouldn't despawn the really awful enemies after you kill them the first time or let you kindle bonfires or summon npcs.

Eternal Shade

11,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I haven't played it but my Mom's BF practically only played it. He liked the challenge it had over the other games he'd played before, and achievement hunting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff