Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you like most in a game?

Graphics. I like em pretty like my spouse 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 14 ]
Gameplay. I can get a story anywhere 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 14 ]
Story. With a glass of milk on my night stand 0.15873015873016 15.9% [ 10 ]
Adventure. I love seeing something new 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 7 ]
Zombies/vampires. Because at night I feel like one 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Puzzles. My brain cells are precious to me 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Horror. Nothing creates brown stains like a horror game 0.015873015873016 1.6% [ 1 ]
Action. Punch kick upper cut! 0.031746031746032 3.2% [ 2 ]
Role playing. I love the sense of accomplishment 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 9 ]
Simulation/other. Because I like being different 0.095238095238095 9.5% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 63 ]
< 1 2 3

the nice feeling you get after you've been grinding for hours and now all of the enemies are simple.

Friendly Citizen

12,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
I like gameplay in a game. The game could look amazing but if it doesn't have good gameplay and story I'm not playing it.
I'm not trying to go against the grain here, but people saying that gameplay is everything... I highly doubt you'd play a game that looks like absolute garbage for long.

While I agree that gameplay should be the focus, it has to be a balance between everything in the game, for it to be a truly amazing experience.

If I had to choose what I look for in a game, it would be immersion. In my opinion, you get immersion when the gameplay, visuals, sounds, music... everything come together, to make a great experience.

Shameless Mystic

Adventure. It's a sad day in gaming, really. Games aren't about adventure anymore. There really haven't been any good platformers since the first Jak and Daxter.

8,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Pie For All! 300
Zeta Kamille
I'm not trying to go against the grain here, but people saying that gameplay is everything... I highly doubt you'd play a game that looks like absolute garbage for long.

While I agree that gameplay should be the focus, it has to be a balance between everything in the game, for it to be a truly amazing experience.

If I had to choose what I look for in a game, it would be immersion. In my opinion, you get immersion when the gameplay, visuals, sounds, music... everything come together, to make a great experience.

We got a pro here,
but i has to stick with gameplay.
I'm a 90's kid low income family so my first game were those Quarter arcade machines, a little Dig Dug and Pac-Man woot!
I'd rather play those than another one of those Japanese sword fighting ninja games, not cause of the graphics or story or character development (If you haven't gotten into their minds by level 5 your no gamer) it's gameplay simple yet complicated, as Fry said: "All right… It's Saturday night. I have no date, a two liter bottle of Shasta and my all rush mix tape. Let's rock!"

My first console was a gameboy advance with a mario game once again loved it simple yet appealing, nowadays? heres a quick list of my favorites:
Pokemon (leveling system is awesome)
Ratchet and Clank (leveling plus robots and esplosions? sign me up)
Mega man (need i say more)
Monster hunter (i will admit it has good graphics and by that i mean all those cut scenes are just a bonus, one that more than triples it's awesome factoring)

Conclusion:
Gameplay is 5% character development, 10% graphics, 10% story/plot/setting etc.
and 75% of controls how smoothly the game goes and it's feel , are you playing a street fighter like gameplay with fighting combos? are you playing an Asteroid like game simple but gets harder as you progress? Heck even monopoly follows this rule it's not just fun cause you get to use fake money (math rules) it's cause you roll dice and get those chance cards and such.
suprdogvet

We got a pro here,
I'm a 90's kid low income family so my first game were those Quarter arcade machines, a little Dig Dug and Pac-Man woot!
I'd rather play those than another one of those Japanese sword fighting ninja games, not cause of the graphics or story or character development (If you haven't gotten into their minds by level 5 your no gamer) it's gameplay simple yet complicated, as Fry said: "All right… It's Saturday night. I have no date, a two liter bottle of Shasta and my all rush mix tape. Let's rock!"

My first console was a gameboy advance with a mario game once again loved it simple yet appealing, nowadays? heres a quick list of my favorites:
Monster hunter (i will admit it has good graphics and by that i mean all those cut scenes are just a bonus, one that more than triples it's awesome factoring)

Conclusion:
and 75% of controls how smoothly the game goes and it's feel , are you playing a street fighter like gameplay with fighting combos? are you playing an Asteroid like game simple but gets harder as you progress? Heck even monopoly follows this rule it's not just fun cause you get to use fake money (math rules) it's cause you roll dice and get those chance cards and such.

I'm a gamer from... Well, let's just say, I had the Atari 2600... gonk

The games that you listed as favorites all looked great for their time, and even still look great today. The visuals were well done. The music... oh man... the music... Top notch. Controls were tight, and it didn't feel rushed. Unfortunately, not all games age nearly as well.

I've always wondered what changed in gaming. It's not nostalgia that keeps me going back to my Sega Saturn titles, or PSX titles... It's the fact that the games were solid. Is it just me, or does it have something to do with games trying to feel more like Hollywood Movies, rather than feeling like their own experience these days, that is their ultimate downfall?

8,550 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Pie For All! 300
Zeta Kamille
suprdogvet

We got a pro here,

Conclusion:

The games that you listed as favorites all looked great for their time, and even still look great today. The visuals were well done. The music... oh man... the music... Top notch. Controls were tight, and it didn't feel rushed. Unfortunately, not all games age nearly as well.

I've always wondered what changed in gaming. It's not nostalgia that keeps me going back to my Sega Saturn titles, or PSX titles... It's the fact that the games were solid. Is it just me, or does it have something to do with games trying to feel more like Hollywood Movies, rather than feeling like their own experience these days, that is their ultimate downfall?

finally someone understands, yeah i admit nowdays games sacrifice quantity for quality, which would be good if the game was good to begin with , for example love pokemon's graphics gameplay and leveling system, yet i prefer the last gameboy advance game they made (Emerald) than any of the DS titles they have made, i respect the graphics and slight tweaks they made, yet most of it is about battling not dressing up your pokemon or forcing them to play Dance dance revolution.

Pac-man 3-d not great don't fix something that isn't broken, reason they are making these "simplistic" games that only brain dead players would like (game repetition, hard mode optional etc.) reason money, money money must be funny in a rich guys world (we're the 99% milk)
yum_strawberry If it's fun I'll love the heck out of it.

Having good story and nice characters is an added bonus.

6,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
  • Overstocked 200
Zeta Kamille
suprdogvet

We got a pro here,

Conclusion:

Sadly it does feel like more and more games are trying to focus on a cinematic and scripted style

6,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Generous 100
  • Overstocked 200
that stupid harpy
yum_strawberry If it's fun I'll love the heck out of it.

Having good story and nice characters is an added bonus.

My mindset exactly right there. You may disagree about the game but star ocean till the end of time I love even today. I've put in over 300 hours into that one game

Cultist

Graphics. I like em pretty like my spouse

...if I had one.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff