Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't think I've played any yet, so that's why I made this. I also like seeing others opinion

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWeen shellan yorra accroad mea, sarla oz enne.
Titil yehah, presia yorr wis yehah, presia yanje.

Going by some of the bigger budget games of last year, I'd say comparing the indie games I've played to them would be a huge step down in quality.

Interstellar Lunatic

I've been watching Stranded Deep let's plays, the game looks like it will have a lot to offer as it is updated and hopefully put into a full retail release.
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve

Since when has Valve been an indie developer?

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

valve is about as indie as blizzard.

wasteland 2 has horrible horrible optimization and does not look AAA by far.

starbound is very far from AAA. its beta and plays like beta and missing entirely features like beta. and its been beta for almost 2 years now.

divinity I will accept, If you told me its made by AAA I could easly agree.
Endless legend as well to an extent. Its got everything but longevity.

insurgency and outlast are easy to see as non-AAA given the high level of detail the fps genre is going for these days.

shadowun can be kinda borderline. Not as high quality as divinity but still pretty decent.

magicka is far from AAA standard.
Mir Teiwaz
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve

Since when has Valve been an indie developer?

Although they use a publisher for boxed copies of their games, they are in no way funded by a third party. They are an entirely independent developer and haven't used a publisher since 2007
xLiemx
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

starbound is very far from AAA. its beta and plays like beta and missing entirely features like beta. and its been beta for almost 2 years now.

insurgency and outlast are easy to see as non-AAA given the high level of detail the fps genre is going for these days.

shadowun can be kinda borderline. Not as high quality as divinity but still pretty decent.

Valve are self funded. They do not receive third party funding. They self publish and have acted as publisher for a number of developers. They haven't used a publisher since 2007, 8 years ago.

Wasteland 2 works fine for me and everyone else who plays it. Graphics do not define AAA.

Starbound is in beta and has a long way to go but it is certainly of a quality higher than many "AAA" games that have been released in recent years. That was the question asked by OP.

Your points on insurgency and outlast are just rambling gibberish.

Shadowrun Returns was a bit average but the standalone release of Dragonfall is really well done and again, well about the quality of many recent AAA games.

Magicka... Again, well above current "AAA" standards.

The Meretrix's Husband

Whiskey Grey
xLiemx
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

Valve are self funded. They do not receive third party funding. They self publish and have acted as publisher for a number of developers. They haven't used a publisher since 2007, 8 years ago.

Wasteland 2 works fine for me and everyone else who plays it. Graphics do not define AAA.

Starbound is in beta and has a long way to go but it is certainly of a quality higher than many "AAA" games that have been released in recent years. That was the question asked by OP.

Shadowrun Returns was a bit average but the standalone release of Dragonfall is really well done and again, well about the quality of many recent AAA games.

Google "Indie Game Definition" real quick, then get back to us.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Niccu Bear
Whiskey Grey
xLiemx
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

I just did.

Quote:
There is no exact widely accepted definition of what constitutes an "indie game".[4][5][6][7]

Since indie is short for independent, the only logical definition one can factually ascribe to it is that they are independent of another company telling them what to do, i.e. no publishers.
Niccu Bear
Whiskey Grey
xLiemx
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

Done. Now what? Was there a point to be made there?

The Meretrix's Husband

Raven Prime
Niccu Bear
Whiskey Grey
xLiemx
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

I just did.

Quote:
There is no exact widely accepted definition of what constitutes an "indie game".[4][5][6][7]

Since indie is short for independent, the only logical definition one can factually ascribe to it is that they are independent of another company telling them what to do, i.e. no publishers.
i like your spunk, but you seemed to have cherry picked a quote instead of looking for the most direct and relevant one; "Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support. Indie games often focus on innovation and rely on digital distribution."

The Meretrix's Husband

Whiskey Grey
Niccu Bear
Whiskey Grey
xLiemx
Whiskey Grey
Anything by Valve
Wasteland 2
Divinity Original Sin
Starbound (Early Access)
Insurgency
Endless Legend
Outlast
Planetary Annihilation
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Magicka

lol...

Done. Now what? Was there a point to be made there?
Yes, that Valave is too big to be Indie. They have evolved from that and are a publisher at this point.

The Meretrix's Husband

Hexstus
xLiemx

For once, you're right. Except Endless Legend has plenty of "longevity".
Is that game any good? I've been debating on getting it for a while now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff