Chloe (War Magus) 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 21 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Magical Shounen

6,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
can we please move on to better RPG's, who would wanna play a game with a really bad combat system in a first person view!

this is not gonna sell well outside of japan.

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
La Dame Lut

You know? I completely forgot about Formaldehydes, seeing as they've really only been around for the last three entries, and I only played I and II to death, I don't know how to feel about them. Despite all the sanity lost trying to get the conditional on the Wyrm, it felt more rewarding than simply dropping an item on it, killing it on the turn and moving on. In any case, the more I think about it, the more I'll probably end up liking the original's gameplay more, but maybe liking Untold II's OST?
That's a maybe, I like Untold's OST more than the original, but II is my favourite, so there's bound to be a lot of favouritism.

EOV, eh? That's exciting, never got into Mystery Dungeon, but I'd try it for EO!

Tipsy Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Japantsu
can we please move on to better RPG's, who would wanna play a game with a really bad combat system in a first person view!

this is not gonna sell well outside of japan.

You do realize that the Etrian Odyssey series has been outside Japan for a long time now, right? The first one hit American shores on May 15th, 2007, and while it didn't sell like hotcakes, it did get a dedicated following. Enough so that Atlus released the second game on June 17th, 2008. And the third on September 21st, 2010. The fourth on Febuary 26th, 2013, and the first spinoff game, Etrian Odyssey Untold, on October 1st, 2013.

And, according to VGChartz, Etrian Odyssey has sold the following amounts in the US;

Etrian Odyssey: 190,000
Etrian Odyssey II: 90,000
Etrian Odyssey III: 110,000
Etrian Odyssey IV: 70,000
Etrian Odyssey Untold: 70,000

And they're not exactly flying off the shelves in Japan. Their numbers are better, yes, but...

EO: 90,000
EO2: 160,000
EO3: 190,000
EO4: 170,000
EOU: 140,000

At best, Etrian Odyssey is a niche game for a niche market. A VERY niche market. But that is what Atlus does, isn't it? They develop games for niche markets and, somehow, remain financially secure despite their catering to niche markets. Somehow, a game pulling 70,000 units in sales didn't stop them from putting out another game. The series must, thus, be doing well enough in Atlus' eyes.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I see the Etrian Odyssey team will be playing with the mystery dungeon format. Looks good enough, I just hope it does well. If so, maybe we can see a potential third game in the Izuna series.

Although, if Izuna were unlockable or something in EO Mystery Dungeon, I would probably freak out and fall in love with the game...

PLEASE MAKE IT SO, ATLUS

Eloquent Fatcat

I adore Etrian Odyssey. Such a refreshing dungeon crawler. I can't wait for this. heart

Kawaii Pyromaniac

So it looks like the Highlander class isn't the only DLC being added to EOU2. I can't entirely say how I feel about this, but I really hope it's not going to be a major thing in the future and something that might actually affect the story/gameplay.

Kawaii Pyromaniac

Still no word on an English release date yet (EO: Mystery Dungeon is slated for 3/10/15, five days after the Japanese release), but I'll leave this here.
It appears that sales for EOU2 are sluggish mainly due to the overabundance of DLC, including the fact that there are even entire sections of maps locked off, and if I read it correctly, the cost of all the DLC total is around $29, probably 50-75% of the game's initial price.
I have a feeling that EOU2 might be pushed back a little more than four months since they just released Persona Q, so as to not spring a similar title so soon.

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
More of the OST was posted in December on Youtube, if anyone's curious.

i.e:

I LOVE IT!
Maybe not "Shiver"'s generic anime feel to it, but I digress.

Of course, I cannot hope to ever compare EOUII's OST to EOII's, as they are in completely separate leagues of their own, but I think I will really like the OST.

Still waiting for "Vast Lands Expanding to the North" though.

EDIT: If no news on it by March, gonna import! If it comes to NA afterwards, I'll just have an excuse to play my favourite EO over again.

Kawaii Pyromaniac

I'm not sure how I feel about the FOE music. It doesn't really have much of a foreboding feel to it, but then again, EOIV's FOE track was kind of silly itself. The other track is nice. I've been checking Google periodically to see if anyone's uploaded the entire OST, but no luck yet, just assorted tracks to YouTube (and I think all on the same account).

Etrian Mystery Dungeon got a trailer from the latest Nintendo Direct.

It doesn't list a specific date, but now according to Atlus's Facebook, it's not supposed to be out until 4/7 when all indications before said it would be out 3/10 (less than a week after Japan). I traded in a couple games to Gamestop on Monday and put down the remainder after I bought another game on EMD, which there also said 3/10.
I mention this because I assume there's no news on EOU2 yet, since EMD is coming out so soon, I assumed that with EMD coming out in March, we could see EOU2 in June/July, but now it looks like it might be pushed back as far as the end of the summer (a September release, maybe? Isn't September when a lot of major titles are released?).

Kawaii Pyromaniac

So I found the cover art for EOU2's soundtrack.

User Image

I also found the track listing (though the titles seem to be directly translated as though through Babelfish) and the reason why I can't find it - it's not out until the 28th. Also, it confirms my suspicions that there is a second area outside the main labyrinth (like with Gladsheim) since there's the same sort of "FM" tracks at the end of the second disc that the first OST has. VGMdb doesn't have it listed at all, so we'll probably have to wait until it releases for a proper track list.

Kawaii Pyromaniac

So it looks like the MC gets his own theme every time he transforms in battle.

It also apparently overrides whatever battle theme is playing. From what I've seen, the transformation is basically OP, so if you plan on using it a lot, plan on hearing this a lot.
Which isn't to say it's bad. I actually like it, to be honest.

Kawaii Pyromaniac

So like the first Untold's OST, the first disc is all the updated music from the original version, and the second disc is the new music/FM versions of new music. Except for the extended version of the opening song, I'm not too impressed with any of the new dungeon's music, background or battle. Nothing that compares to the first game, anyway.

Kawaii Pyromaniac

So I take it I need to go play EO3 now.

Still no actual word on EOU2, though I suppose that's to be expected. There probably won't be anything until April anyway. Also I learned that a 4 Gunner party won't be sustainable at all.

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
I'm not really into the series as I don't like 1st person gameplay... But I'm kinda looking forward to the Mystery Dungeon game (I always loved the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games and RPG's so an RPG-themed one seems nice to me)... Since it'll be a spin-off, I should be able to play and enjoy it even without playing any of the main games, right? cat_smile

Kawaii Pyromaniac

YunaSama
I'm not really into the series as I don't like 1st person gameplay... But I'm kinda looking forward to the Mystery Dungeon game (I always loved the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games and RPG's so an RPG-themed one seems nice to me)... Since it'll be a spin-off, I should be able to play and enjoy it even without playing any of the main games, right? cat_smile
Probably not; at most it'd be nice to know where everything comes from. The games (with what little story they have) are mostly self-contained anyway with little connection (though the remakes seem to be remedying that).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff