Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rozhinkes
I don't think that I can come up with five complaints (in addition to yours), but my biggest pet peeves when it comes to games are:

1. Lack of a Good Story: I know that the big focus now is on MP content and depth, and I have no problems against creating an engaging MP world, but I really wish that it didn't come at the detriment of the SP campaign. I love when I can get engaged in the story, like in the Uncharted and Assassin's Creed series, but these types of games are getting more and more difficult to find.

2. Too Much Run-n-Gun: I'm more of a fun of slower-paced, team-based games (like Battlefield), but most shooters that are coming out (at least that I know of) are too quickly paced and encourage too much lone-wolfing. The difference between the Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 multiplayer, for example, is particularly discouraging.

Lack of good stories? Sorry, but that's definitely not true. I noticed that a lot of people think shooters have poor stories just because they rely too much on action even though Call of Duty 4 has one of the most game industry changing scenes, according to a lot who played it at the time. Halo has a brilliant constructed universe. Not too much of a fan of GoW's story though.

I think a lot of people who say this are fans of RPG's. Just because not every game nowadays is an RPG doesn't mean that stories suck. You listed two, yourself, which are not RPG's. (I think most J-RPG's have ridiculous stories, personally.) Other games: BioShock, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Half Life & Portal, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil.

Honestly, the only run and gun games is really Call of Duty in my opinion. Most games are team based, like Team Fortress 2, Battlefield, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Metal Gear Online (I think?), and Gears of War. Brink tried to do this, but that game is garbage. I haven't played Tribes, but I think that is also a tactical shooter. Halo is one of a kind in my opinion, it can be both tactical and lone wolf-like, but not as much as Call of Duty is.

1,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
NotoriousLynx
Rozhinkes
I don't think that I can come up with five complaints (in addition to yours), but my biggest pet peeves when it comes to games are:

1. Lack of a Good Story: I know that the big focus now is on MP content and depth, and I have no problems against creating an engaging MP world, but I really wish that it didn't come at the detriment of the SP campaign. I love when I can get engaged in the story, like in the Uncharted and Assassin's Creed series, but these types of games are getting more and more difficult to find.

2. Too Much Run-n-Gun: I'm more of a fun of slower-paced, team-based games (like Battlefield), but most shooters that are coming out (at least that I know of) are too quickly paced and encourage too much lone-wolfing. The difference between the Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 multiplayer, for example, is particularly discouraging.

Lack of good stories? Sorry, but that's definitely not true. I noticed that a lot of people think shooters have poor stories just because they rely too much on action even though Call of Duty 4 has one of the most game industry changing scenes, according to a lot who played it at the time. Halo has a brilliant constructed universe. Not too much of a fan of GoW's story though.

I think a lot of people who say this are fans of RPG's. Just because not every game nowadays is an RPG doesn't mean that stories suck. You listed two, yourself, which are not RPG's. (I think most J-RPG's have ridiculous stories, personally.) Other games: BioShock, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Half Life & Portal, Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil.

Honestly, the only run and gun games is really Call of Duty in my opinion. Most games are team based, like Team Fortress 2, Battlefield, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Metal Gear Online (I think?), and Gears of War. Brink tried to do this, but that game is garbage. I haven't played Tribes, but I think that is also a tactical shooter. Halo is one of a kind in my opinion, it can be both tactical and lone wolf-like, but not as much as Call of Duty is.

Haha, I'm not an RPG fan, myself. I suppose I just don't have too much of an extensive knowledge of what games are available, so I'm just basing my opinions on those that I did have the chance to try. So I apologize for making an uninformed decision. sweatdrop

I thank you for the suggestions, though! I'm glad to know that there are games out there which have these traits. I'll be sure to try them out once I have the money to spend.

Generous Gawker

User ImageI honestly think that games that have online passes are dumb. Some games you have to buy new to play online, cause they usually have a one time code.
But like a lot of people have said, I really don't mind Used Games. I hate buying them from places like GameStop, because their prices are unfair. It's nice having a local store that can step up and compete with Gamestop with lower prices.User Image

Dedicated Fatcat

8,400 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
1. Graphics.

I love HD graphics, I love advancement in graphics. The problem though, its hard to tell how much a negative effect it has upon AAA games. I think it doesn't in the long run besides cost and development time. However focus on graphics for industry success may kill risk taking on properties that may not benefit from HD.

2. DLC and MMO

A cruel joke, an attempt to turn video games into a service rather than a standalone product like films or music.

I do not mind Special Edition DLC content or Pre-order nonsense. I do not mind large expansion sets that add enough content to the game to make it more interesting. Like in the olden days with PC games where the expansion pack to BG2 was the final chapter and conclusion of the game. It was smart because they took the time to complete the ending of the game.

I absolutely hate tiny a** DLC, especially when there is simply no need for it. Valve gets a free pass because their system involves user generated content which should be the ONLY reason for tiny a** DLC.

Free to play MMORPGS are probably the biggest money pits out there. The whole idea of temporary items is what makes them an absolute scam. It may vary from MMO to MMO though.

I actually do not mind Subscription based MMOs. Dollar per dollar they will always be more consumer friendly. This of course including that they have content.

Basically, Small DLC bad, Big DLC that only Adds to the experience of the original game Good.

3. Digital only.

I embrace, There is no more room for physical copies. However this leaves many non-internet users unable to access games. It is also suppose to save on cost, but I doubt it.

4. Used Games.

Need more used games. Used games are the only way I can buy certain games that are out of print.

5. QTE's

I play on PC, never encounter these. Resident Evil 4 is the only game that did it right anyway. every other game is just a poser.

6. Stagnant Narrative Style.

It comes down to taste really, but honestly I think video games are not benefited by narratives that emulate films. Mostly because they miss the point. Using a film like narrative in a video game is automatically parody as video games cannot utilize the subtle technique that can only be done in film.

Deus Ex 3 is a great example, the entire experience is disjointed because of how it relies upon delivering the narrative in the most mishandled way. It works, yet it feels misshapen and out of place. Basiclly, "Blah blah blah imma do stuff." *does stuff while talking* "Blah blah I am doing stuff, did you get that HQ?" *does more stuff while talking* "Blah blah more stuff." *then cutscene..*

Whereas the original Deus Ex was like this *explore explore explore* "Blah blah blah" *explore explore explore* "Blah blah blah." THIS matches more of what I think of how a video game narrative should be presented. Basically, give the player the chance to be the main character, instead of having the main character narrate everything he is doing.

7. Retro Throwback games

Suuure, cool yeah. But honestly to me the retro graphics are only interesting because they were the only thing the console at the time could display. If you want to wow me with retro style use it in a more advanced context. I.E. Minecraft.

8. "New" Video game soundtracks.

Bad soundtracks are the ones that feature pointlessly complex mood pieces or lame wad Movie Style OST.

To me video games are best served when their soundtrack is either completely unified instrumentation wise along with mechanics. Mainly because it creates a sense of unity in the game. Therefore the MUSIC itself becomes apart of the game much like the graphics and gameplay.

OR

For whatever reason if a game has a completely mixed soundtrack ranging from different genre of music it also works in the same way as you can use those genre styles to characterize the mood of the game at the time it is played.

9. Sound in Video Games

Ooooh god, modern sound design is so lame. I remember when I could actually remember cool sounds video games had. You know, the POWERFUL BLAAARRMMMMBGGHGHGH sounds and such.

Do you remember the sounds from Earthbound or TF2 better?

Mostly this has to do with the fact that lower frequency sounds are heard easily by human ears thus makes them more interesting to listen too.

10. Lastly, wrongly accused consumer entitlement.

When older games set a standard that very few Triple A games can match, of course mainstream video game consumers are going to be upset, and if businesses think they can get away with negating themselves from those high standards then they got another thing coming.

Adephi's Significant Otter

GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
Japan.

For hogging all the good games.

Ahhh, the weeaboo, becoming such an endangered species lately, it's still fascinating to see one from time to time.

Wait what? I'm a weeabo for not knowing Japanese good enough to play untranslated games?

Aged Lunatic

Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
Japan.

Ahhh, the weeaboo, becoming such an endangered species lately, it's still fascinating to see one from time to time.

Wait what? I'm a weeabo for not knowing Japanese good enough to play untranslated games?

More like the "Nothing good comes from the west" attitude.

GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
Japan.

I nevere said that though, did I?

Aged Lunatic

Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
Japan.

Quote:

GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten

Quote:
Let me rephrase that in a way you can understand - for not releasing all their awesome games in english, outside Japan.

Blessed Nerd

To be perfectly honest, it's generally the gaming community that's ruining it for me.
Especially League of Legend's community. Worst community in gaming history. stare

Aged Lunatic

Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll
GunsmithKitten
Gullible doll

Quote:
Let me rephrase that in a way you can understand - for not releasing all their awesome games in english, outside Japan.

Ahhhh, more like hogging all THEIR good games.

Okay, I can get behind that. There's a slew of turn based tactical games that never saw the light of day here, and I'll never forgive them for not releasing the full versions of Rival Schools/Project Justice.

Invisible Genius

4,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lost Dynamis
Airship Canon
The Love that Lasts the Longest...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Say something new!
I have nothing left...
I can't face the DARK without you!
I'll flat out disagree with your thought on used games.
smashbrolink
I haven't really given much thought to this, to be honest, so just off the top of my head;

#1 Too few localizations.
The Wii is a perfect example of this; it had many a great game come out for it in Japan that we simply never saw over here.
Japan needs to learn that taking the risk holds more potential for profit than they actually think.

#2 Too much focus on online multiplayer content.
Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the online content on MANY games, and I'm NOT saying to take it out.
But I, personally, have run into a few games where the online mode seems like it got ALL of the attention, and as such the main game suffers from lower quality.
There are cases where the opposite is true, as well, though.

#3 [Only applies if we're including Pay2Play and Free2Play MMO's] Not enough active in-game moderation of Griefers.
Speaks for itself. We play a game to have fun. But when that fun comes out of making others miserable for the sake of a few chuckles, it ceases to be fun for all sides and turns into cyber-bullying that only benefits the one doing it.
If first glance can prove someone's doing it, either in retaliation or as the starter of it, then said person should be pulled offline and talked with before being allowed back into the game.

Of course, to do that, they need to start hiring more dedicated moderators, which is an issue in and of itself for some games.

#1 is very true. Also in the absence of a localization, Region Free would be nice.
#2... *looks at Armored Core 5* *looks at Armored Core 4Answer* very true. The former, a slightly older game is a brilliant game. The latter, not so much-- too much focus on the multiplayer at the cost of losing a lot of the single player content.
#3: Depends on what you define as "griefing"-- World of Warcraft has a good handle on the situation-- scamming seems to be the only real way of griefing in that game that *needs* policing- everything else, there's a player found solution: if there's a PvP solution, good. The flagged douchebag on his mammoth blocking access your flight master in the city full of armed guards that'll 1 shot you if you attack him? Get a group, kill the guards and kill the douche. Can't do it? Oh well, tough ******** luck. PvP is Not Griefing... ever. PvP is PvP, and you *must* deal with it. Get a friend, or two, or 40. That guy spamming you with rude remarks? /ignore That guy in your group pulled a bunch of mobs to cause a wipe? /votekick That guy rolled on "your" loot and you lost? Suck it up, cupcake.

There's nothing left to lose..!
The fight never ends!!

...Is the One that can never be.

You.... wanna explain why you disagree with the Used games argument?

Say something new!
I have nothing left...

It's really simple: You bought Game X. You finished it, don't care to keep it, or didn't like it? Sell it to the next guy, or to say Gamestop so they sell it to the next guy. There's nothing wrong with that.
The fight never ends!!

Vicious Hellraiser

13,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Threadmaster 200
Top 5 Problems in the Gaming World:

1. All companies aren't Valve.

2. All game distribution services aren't Steam.

3. Too many companies are EA.

4. Too many game distribution services are Gamestop.

5. So many videogame fans are literally AS BAD as society makes us all out to be, and it gives us such a bad name, I am practically ashamed to call myself a gamer. There are so many of us that are self-entitled little CRYBABIES ( that will STILL spend $60 on a game they know they'll be bitching about later and will CONTINUE spending money on games from a company they claim to "hate" ) that we've ruined ourselves, and this community, as a whole.
Airship Canon
Lost Dynamis
Airship Canon

Say something new!
I have nothing left...
smashbrolink
I haven't really given much thought to this, to be honest, so just off the top of my head;

The Wii is a perfect example of this; it had many a great game come out for it in Japan that we simply never saw over here.
Japan needs to learn that taking the risk holds more potential for profit than they actually think.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the online content on MANY games, and I'm NOT saying to take it out.
But I, personally, have run into a few games where the online mode seems like it got ALL of the attention, and as such the main game suffers from lower quality.

#3 [Only applies if we're including Pay2Play and Free2Play MMO's] Not enough active in-game moderation of Griefers.
Speaks for itself. We play a game to have fun. But when that fun comes out of making others miserable for the sake of a few chuckles, it ceases to be fun for all sides and turns into cyber-bullying that only benefits the one doing it.
If first glance can prove someone's doing it, either in retaliation or as the starter of it, then said person should be pulled offline and talked with before being allowed back into the game.

Of course, to do that, they need to start hiring more dedicated moderators, which is an issue in and of itself for some games.

#1 is very true. Also in the absence of a localization, Region Free would be nice.
#2... *looks at Armored Core 5* *looks at Armored Core 4Answer* very true. The former, a slightly older game is a brilliant game. The latter, not so much-- too much focus on the multiplayer at the cost of losing a lot of the single player content.
#3: Depends on what you define as "griefing"-- World of Warcraft has a good handle on the situation-- scamming seems to be the only real way of griefing in that game that *needs* policing- everything else, there's a player found solution: if there's a PvP solution, good. The flagged douchebag on his mammoth blocking access your flight master in the city full of armed guards that'll 1 shot you if you attack him? Get a group, kill the guards and kill the douche. Can't do it? Oh well, tough ******** luck. PvP is Not Griefing... ever. PvP is PvP, and you *must* deal with it. Get a friend, or two, or 40. That guy spamming you with rude remarks? /ignore That guy in your group pulled a bunch of mobs to cause a wipe? /votekick That guy rolled on "your" loot and you lost? Suck it up, cupcake.

The fight never ends!!

Say something new!
I have nothing left...

It's really simple: You bought Game X. You finished it, don't care to keep it, or didn't like it? Sell it to the next guy, or to say Gamestop so they sell it to the next guy. There's nothing wrong with that.
The fight never ends!!

So.... you HAVE no reason other than because its convenient to you to take advantage of other peoples hard work.

Invisible Genius

4,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lost Dynamis
Airship Canon
Lost Dynamis
Airship Canon

Say something new!
I have nothing left...
smashbrolink

The fight never ends!!

Say something new!
I have nothing left...

The fight never ends!!

So.... you HAVE no reason other than because its convenient to you to take advantage of other peoples hard work.

Say something new!
I have nothing left...

Well that's an extremely arrogant and foolish response.
Try reading what I just wrote... AGAIN. (I'm sorry, but arguing against consumer rights? What are you, a socialist?)

The right to re-sell what you bought comes with ownership of the item in question. You bought it, it's yours, you can do with it what you please.
The fight never ends!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items