Welcome to Gaia! ::

Since the thread is slowly grinding to a halt I'll ask a question. You use your brains to try and figure out an answer. Who and What are the Patriots?
Chester Sydel
Since the thread is slowly grinding to a halt I'll ask a question. You use your brains to try and figure out an answer. Who and What are the Patriots?

I haven't played MGS2 for some time now, so bare with me. The Patriots are a group of i think it was eight men, who were basically the "true" rulers of the United States. They talked about how elections and stuff like that was all a elaberate hoax, and want happend is that these true rulers picked the easiest pawn to ask as the countries leader (good reason why Bush is still in office ninja )and behind it all these guys ruled the United States under the very noses of the population, of course at the end of MGS2 you find out that all the members all dead, which opens up the theory that an artificial intellegence has taken control of the States.

Dapper Flatterer

Chester Sydel
the philosophers?
Skull Panda
Chester Sydel
the philosophers?

The Philosophers, they had the Philosophers Legacy..100 billion dollars divided up and hidden all over the world?

The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo?
There's a MGS plot summary/analysis on Gamefaqs, I think, that gives some good theories. The best is that the Patriots are still a group of men but they made GW and JFK in order to control the flow of digital information, like you were told in SOL. The AI isn't the actuall group themselves, unlike what was suggested, just controlled by them. It may carry the same ideals as the Patriots, but it is a separate being. The list that Snake and Otacon got at the very end of the game is most likely the list of the original Wisemen's Committee, so the members have obviously changed.
Okay My Turn:

The Patriots were orignally belong to a group called The Philosophers. A group formed from the three super powers of the 1900's (I presume the around 1918 they where formed) China, Russia And America. They were the real true power in each of their countries throught influence, rank and wealth. They held these secret meetings which were then called The Wisemans Committee. But during the late 30's the last original Wisemen died. As the originals died out they were replaced with another one.

The replacements ignored their orignal goals and began to develop a lust for greed and war. During world war II the Replacement Philosophers gather over 100 billion dollars to fight the war, this was called the Philosophers Legacy. But the war ended before they could use it. So the money was supposed to be split, but due to the hysteria of the War Volgin's Father was able to steal the Legacy.

After the events of Snake Eater a secret section of the US Government was able to get the entire Legacy thanks to Ocelot. During the Late 70's the American branch renames themselves as The Patriots. There orignal goal was to allow freedom and a democracy in the America. But as the original members died there goals shifted (parralleling the Philosophers Downfall) they wanted to control the entire country from information, politics and wealth.

The shocking revelation about the patriots in MGS2 (Otacon:They Died 100 years ago. Snake: What the hell?) isn't about the Patriots but it's about the original members of the Philosophers they died 100 years ago. So in summary the Patriots are still alive and well but there motives have changed throughout history.
Snake Eater sucks. I can't stand the chicks, they're so lame. God damn stealth missions... pain in the a**. I prefer to just full out attack them all, and hide when I need to instead of "avoid engaging in battle". I bought the game to shoot 'em up. That's why they're called "shoot 'em ups". I do like the theme song, though. Lmao.

"Snake? You'd better answer me, damn it! SNAAAAAKE!" I die on purpose, just so I can hear that and crack up. It's totally worth it.
Good stuff, but I would say that the Patriots are trying to manipulate the entire modern world and not just the US. The foundations are definitely in the US after Ocelot helped the Legacy fall into the hands of the US Philosophers, but the manipulation spreads far beyond that as can be seen with anything from Solidus' war-mongering on the other side of the world to Snake and Otacon's international quest of Metal Gear destruction.

Sorry, I'm just being a little nitpicky. wink
Atomic_Unicorn
Snake Eater sucks so far.

"Snake? You'd better answer me, damn it! SNAAAAAKE!" I die on purpose, just so I can hear that and crack up. It's totally worth it.

Gameplay wise it's very good besides the horrible camera (thankfully Subsistance will fix it). As the story unravels I'm pretty sure you'll begin to like it. Personally I prefer MGS2 Storyline.
Chester Sydel
Atomic_Unicorn
Snake Eater sucks so far.

Gameplay wise it's very good besides the horrible camera (thankfully Subsistance will fix it). As the story unravels I'm pretty sure you'll begin to like it. Personally I prefer MGS2 Storyline.

The story line's not too bad, but the characters are lame. Snake's voice is hilarious. He sounds like he's constipated with a hot coal up his a**. I love it. I agree about the camera. I would be doing much better if the camera were improved. It gets really annoying.

MGS2 heart
Now let's enhance this thread a bit more. How do you think Liquid is able to control Ocelot?
the bosses in snake eater were hilarious, the majority of them just blow themselves up.
Chester Sydel
Now let's enhance this thread a bit more. How do you think Liquid is able to control Ocelot?

Ocelot probably has a much weaker version of his father's ability to communicate with the dead. Having Liquid assimilated into his physical being like that probably created a connection which got stronger as Ocelot spent more time in proximity to genes like Liquid's. Liquid was always very motivated by what his genes instructed him to do, particularly with some of the dialogue tweaks made in Twin Snakes.

My own guess on why Solid's proximity to Ocelot would help Liquid gain strength is that Solid has the rest of the genes that Liquid would need to be "complete" since Liquid has the dominant genes and Solid has the recessive genes. The characters are meant to be two sides of the same coin, and it probably makes sense to Kojima that they are only complete when around one another.

Liquid also suffers from a complex of not knowing when to die. He should have died at least four times in the first Solid game (Hind crash, falling off of Rex, getting shot repeatedly by a mounted machine gun, and then a genetically tailored virus stopping his heart), and he still manages to make his presence known in MGS2. That takes committment to not knowing when to die.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff