Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Tycoon

So as a black dude who in school for theatre and wants to someday go on to be a prominent thespian was delighted to see that the main character of a Action Adventure game is not some chicken loving, Afro hairstyled , Black Vernacular speakin dude. Or this guy:

User Image

This gives me hope as to what options and roles will be available for me in the future. Yes, this from a video game. :)

Now on to pressing matters----& PROTOTYPE 2 IS HERE! So lets hear it for the folks who preordered!.........because I didn't. ._.
Final Lucius
So as a black dude who in school for theatre and wants to someday go on to be a prominent thespian was delighted to see that the main character of a Action Adventure game is not some chicken loving, Afro hairstyled , Black Vernacular speakin dude. Or this guy:
User Image

This gives me hope as to what options and roles will be available for me in the future. Yes, this from a video game. smile

Now on to pressing matters----& PROTOTYPE 2 IS HERE! So lets hear it for the folks who preordered!.........because I didn't. ._.

I was kind of surprised. I was like "DAMN the black man character isn't stereotyped and looks pretty awesome."

Reminds me of that one guy from SC4

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
And?
Since when did the skin color matter?
Oh, that's right. It didn't.
It's the personality of the character that counts.
No need to make a big deal out of him being black, even if it's on a positive note.

Witty Tycoon

Boss Mikado

I was kind of surprised. I was like "DAMN the black man character isn't stereotyped and looks pretty awesome."

Reminds me of that one guy from SC4
Ah yes, Zasalamel.

Witty Tycoon

smashbrolink
And?
Since when did the skin color matter?
Oh, that's right. It didn't.
It's the personality of the character that counts.
No need to make a big deal out of him being black, even if it's on a positive note.
No need to be mad and bringing that lame "colorblind" attitude, just expressing my delight in seeing some diversity in video games.

Supercharged Sex Symbol

I just hope it has more replayability than the last one did.

Disaster Femme's Husband

How many other games have had black main characters? I'm trying to rack my brain, and can only think of GTA: SA right now. And I'm sure all African Americans are proud of that one.

I can see your frustration, a lot of games are pretty lazy about their minority races.

Supercharged Sex Symbol

Hold on now. What about all those games where we never see our protagonist?

How do we know, for instance, that Alcatraz (Crysis 2) wasn't black?

Sarge in Bad Company was black, and the only stereotype I saw was that he had a strange need to constantly go fishing.
Yeah I gotta admit that the guy looks cool and its great they did a none stereotypical black guy. But the first game sucked and I ain't gonna play this one

Shy Borg

Glad to see that there was a non-sterotypic black guy character. Although I didn't see any importance in it.

Also glad his story is a bit more...interesting than Mercer's story ever was. At least this new character gets my sympathy.
phillipo
How many other games have had black main characters? I'm trying to rack my brain, and can only think of GTA: SA right now. And I'm sure all African Americans are proud of that one.

I can see your frustration, a lot of games are pretty lazy about their minority races.

Would RE 5 count? Wasn't there a black girl in that? I can think off off hand of characters that are black in video games and played a major role in the storyline: (and not stereotyped,)

Tager (he's pretty smart and cool,)

Said formentioned guy from SC4

That one Pokemon gym leader woman (who's married to a white guy funny enough,)

Some of the Mortal combat cast such as Jade

There is also a lack of hispanic main characters as well in games (that are not stereotyped.)

Disaster Femme's Husband

Boss Mikado
phillipo

Would RE 5 count? Wasn't there a black girl in that? I can think off off hand of characters that are black in video games and played a major role in the storyline: (and not stereotyped,)

Tager (he's pretty smart and cool,)

Said formentioned guy from SC4

That one Pokemon gym leader woman (who's married to a white guy funny enough,)

Some of the Mortal combat cast such as Jade

There is also a lack of hispanic main characters as well in games (that are not stereotyped.)

I was more referring to the actual player character, but good list anyways. There's also Captain Anderson from Mass Effect.
phillipo

Actual controllable character?

........I might have to google up some games because I can't think of any off hand.

EDIT: I can't even think of any hispanic/Spanish or characters that come from Russia (that are not stereotyped.)

Romantic Cheerleader

19,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
What about kool-aid, cornbread, and watermelon?

And you call these guys stereotypical...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff