Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hexstus
Sight Ninja

If they turned Minecraft into a proper RPG, it could be an amazing game. Admittedly it would probably upset all the kiddies who got into it because it's a vastly superior alternative to Legos but if they cared in the slightest about having a quality game, they would put forth the effort to make it appeal to more than just simple-minded children.

I don't think Minecraft was intended to be an RPG in the first place; other than maybe...the role of...sorta a homesteader, I guess? It literally is supposed to be a superior alternative to legos, imo, and that's what makes it fun for some people. (And I can see how it makes it not fun for others). That said, due to the massive amount of mods and multiplayer servers out there, you can make minecraft what you want, in a sense.
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

I'm going to write you and yosoydame off as idiots and leave it at that.

Pure-hearted Dark Elf

Xanvie
Don't fight guys! I started to like the Minecraft not long time ago. An old good friend talked about it for me and showed sometimes screenshots. I don't really play with it in single, not either in survival mode, i play with the game in multiplayer with that friend in creative mode. I prefer the creative mode, my friend prefer the survival mode. But we play the multiplayer with each other in creative mode.

And i liked the Lego too, long time ago. It was when i was kid and a bit later too.
The Minecraft wouldn't be 1 of my favorites, but i like it.
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Texadar
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

*shrugs* Well, whatever. You're entitled to your opinion on a game that sold millions before it was even out of alpha because it obviously has something that is fun and pleasant.

Because it was Lego the video game in all but name

... And?
People enjoy legos. Probably a lot of the people that played with legos as a kid enjoy playing Minecraft.
That doesn't make it good. By that logic, Twiligh is Shakespeare quality and Justin Beiber is the greatest hit to music in decades.

:/
Uh, no... That does not fit with the logic at all... Just because something is good and people enjoy it does not automatically make it the greatest thing ever. Because someone likes eating bologna does not necessarily mean that they think that bologna is as good as prime rib.
I do not think Minecraft is the greatest game ever. But I do think it is a good game, and I do enjoy it. So do many, MANY people all over the world. I'm sure some of them enjoy it so much they would say that it is the greatest game ever, but I'm not in the habit of speaking in hyperbole.
You're an idiot. That fit your logic perfectly. You're claimed that it must be good because its liked by so many. Many people liking something does not make it good.

How does that fit the logic at all? How does saying a lot of people like it automatically equate to everyone thinking it's the greatest thing ever in its field? That's stupid. You're taking only the extremes of the argument to be true and nothing else in between matters.
I said many people like the game. Many people think it is a good game. Maybe 75% of those people who think it's a good game think it's just a good game. Maybe 10% think it's a great game. Maybe 5% think it's the best game for a computer ever made. Maybe 1% think the game is their savior risen to lead them to paradise.
Are all those viewpoints equal? No. Of course they aren't. Therefore your argument does not fit with the logic of my argument at all. In fact the logic of your argument doesn't really fit with any real world logic I've seen or experienced.

Fashionable Entrepreneur

9,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
So you've obviously played the game and got bored. Show us what you built, why you got bored and quit. I showed off my nether castle so it's only fair. Go back take a picture etc.

Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

... And?
People enjoy legos. Probably a lot of the people that played with legos as a kid enjoy playing Minecraft.
That doesn't make it good. By that logic, Twiligh is Shakespeare quality and Justin Beiber is the greatest hit to music in decades.

Uh, no... That does not fit with the logic at all... Just because something is good and people enjoy it does not automatically make it the greatest thing ever. Because someone likes eating bologna does not necessarily mean that they think that bologna is as good as prime rib.
I do not think Minecraft is the greatest game ever. But I do think it is a good game, and I do enjoy it. So do many, MANY people all over the world. I'm sure some of them enjoy it so much they would say that it is the greatest game ever, but I'm not in the habit of speaking in hyperbole.
You're an idiot. That fit your logic perfectly. You're claimed that it must be good because its liked by so many. Many people liking something does not make it good.

How does that fit the logic at all? How does saying a lot of people like it automatically equate to everyone thinking it's the greatest thing ever in its field? That's stupid. You're taking only the extremes of the argument to be true and nothing else in between matters.
I said many people like the game. Many people think it is a good game. Maybe 75% of those people who think it's a good game think it's just a good game. Maybe 10% think it's a great game. Maybe 5% think it's the best game for a computer ever made. Maybe 1% think the game is their savior risen to lead them to paradise.
Are all those viewpoints equal? No. Of course they aren't. Therefore your argument does not fit with the logic of my argument at all. In fact the logic of your argument doesn't really fit with any real world logic I've seen or experienced.
Since you clearly can't do critical thinking, I'll spoon feed the logic for you so you can understand. If the amount of people that like Minecraft by your logic means it must be good, then the much more massive numbers that love my examples must mean its mind blowing good. You see, the entire metaphor is that according to you, since a lot of people like Minecraft, it must be good. So by that logic, wouldn't the jaw dropping numbers of people who like my metaphors mean its even better? Your entire logic was that its good because numbers. My metaphor was that two piles of shite must be phenomenally better for its much larger numbers. It wasn't even hard to understand that. Did you flunk out of English?

O.G. Gaian

5,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cart Raider 100
yosoydame
So you've obviously played the game and got bored. Show us what you built, why you got bored and quit. I showed off my nether castle so it's only fair. Go back take a picture etc.

And why should I take the time to go boot the game, take the screenshots, upload them to a image hosting site then post them here just because you did? Yes, I played, got bored, stopped playing and moved on to better games. Why should I go run this errand just to show you that?

Lonely Wolf

Fated raison detre
yosoydame
Fated raison detre
Minecraft is highly over rated and is not as good as you're trying to make it seem. As for your comment about difficulty..... lol
When first playing it, I didn't find it difficult to stay alive....at all. Its an interesting game for creative lots, which, only 1% of the projects I've seen display any true creativity.

Well change the difficulty if you're stuck in peaceful with absolutely no zombies, hardcore you can't even respawn
I'm aware of this. You're making the assumption that I'm playing peaceful. I haven't even tried that yet. I went straight to the most "difficult" setting. The game just isn't hard, so stop trying to make it sound like it is. If you think Minecraft is hard....well....doesn't need saying does it? lol

Quit being such a p***k.
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Fated raison detre
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

... And?

Since you clearly can't do critical thinking, I'll spoon feed the logic for you so you can understand. If the amount of people that like Minecraft by your logic means it must be good, then the much more massive numbers that love my examples must mean its mind blowing good. You see, the entire metaphor is that according to you, since a lot of people like Minecraft, it must be good. So by that logic, wouldn't the jaw dropping numbers of people who like my metaphors mean its even better? Your entire logic was that its good because numbers. My metaphor was that two piles of shite must be phenomenally better for its much larger numbers. It wasn't even hard to understand that. Did you flunk out of English?

My original point was that many people--a majority of people that have played the game--do enjoy it and think it is a good game. Regardless of your irrelevant opinion on the matter. I was not making any kind of judgement on if the game is good or not.
I can see your point, and the point of that other moron. In point of fact if you look at my first post in this topic, I was supporting your side of stating that the game is not difficult.
This only turned into a debate on statistics when he decided to use that same wikipedia entry to support his case. I was only pointing out that if someone really wants to play the numbers game with this debate, they better be able to back it up with something more mature than "I'm right, you're stupid." Ask any college professor ever if that, or restating an argument over and over with more conviction will get you an A on your persuasive essay and they will tell you no. THAT was my point. THAT was what I was saying.
Is that plain enough Englsih for you, kiddo, or shall I break it down into terms I would use to describe it to my daughter?

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Ask any college professor ever if that, or restating an argument over and over with more conviction will get you an A on your persuasive essay and they will tell you no. THAT was my point. THAT was what I was saying.
Ask any college professor if "Lots of people like it, therefore it's objectively good" is a solid argument and any intelligent one will tell you that's stupid. Ask the same college professor if using a fallacious argument means you're winning and they'll smack you upside the head. He doesn't need to do anything but repeat that because your argument was always fallacious and you didn't change it.

Hell, if majority opinion meant that what they liked was objectively good, then that would inarguably mean that every person who was ever voted into office was objectively the best choice and no better choice could have been made. Because majority opinion decides quality, amirite?

Factually speaking, Minecraft itself is not fun. Minecraft itself is not good. Minecraft itself is not amusing. Minecraft itself is actually pretty bland, boring, and bad, because there are no real goals and it's too easy to survive. The players need to make their own fun, because the game isn't providing it.

It's somewhat like a kid playing with a cardboard box. It's a cardboard box. It's not special. It's not fun in and of itself. But a kid with a good imagination might make it into a spaceship or a time machine or a cloning machine or a transmogrifier and then THEY can have fun with it.

All that Minecraft does is provide you with a set of Legos. It's up to you whether or not you do something fun with those Legos or just build a big p***s out of them and call it a day.

I'd wager that pretty much nobody who's played it thinks it's actually a good game. Ask anyone who thinks it's a good game what they did in it that was so good and pretty much guaranteed the answer will be something that *they* made up to have fun, not something the game actually had them do.

Edit: I'll also point out that you failed to provide any numbers proving that a majority of people like the game. So your argument still lacks any actual evidence, meaning that not only are you coming in with the one fallacy of majority rules, you're also basing that off an invisible, made-up number.
Raven Prime
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Ask any college professor ever if that, or restating an argument over and over with more conviction will get you an A on your persuasive essay and they will tell you no. THAT was my point. THAT was what I was saying.
Ask any college professor if "Lots of people like it, therefore it's objectively good" is a solid argument and any intelligent one will tell you that's stupid. Ask the same college professor if using a fallacious argument means you're winning and they'll smack you upside the head. He doesn't need to do anything but repeat that because your argument was always fallacious and you didn't change it.

Hell, if majority opinion meant that what they liked was objectively good, then that would inarguably mean that every person who was ever voted into office was objectively the best choice and no better choice could have been made. Because majority opinion decides quality, amirite?

Factually speaking, Minecraft itself is not fun. Minecraft itself is not good. Minecraft itself is not amusing. Minecraft itself is actually pretty bland, boring, and bad, because there are no real goals and it's too easy to survive. The players need to make their own fun, because the game isn't providing it.

It's somewhat like a kid playing with a cardboard box. It's a cardboard box. It's not special. It's not fun in and of itself. But a kid with a good imagination might make it into a spaceship or a time machine or a cloning machine or a transmogrifier and then THEY can have fun with it.

All that Minecraft does is provide you with a set of Legos. It's up to you whether or not you do something fun with those Legos or just build a big p***s out of them and call it a day.

I'd wager that pretty much nobody who's played it thinks it's actually a good game. Ask anyone who thinks it's a good game what they did in it that was so good and pretty much guaranteed the answer will be something that *they* made up to have fun, not something the game actually had them do.

If you actually paid attention to what I was saying, I never did say that because lots of people like it, it must be good. All I said was lots of people think it is good. And I said that if the majority of people who have played it think it is good, then there must be something about it that they enjoyed.
Yes, it's a box of infinite legos. Do lots of people enjoy legos? Yes. Does that make them good or bad? How is that at all relevant? If the people that enjoy them think it is good, then it is good for them. If the people that don't enjoy them think that it is bad, then it is bad for them.
REGARDLESS OF YOUR OPINION OF THE GAME, lots of people think Minecraft is good. I personally think the game is good--as a tool to do other fun things, or even just to mess around in on a rainy day with nothing else to do, perhaps, but fun nonetheless.
And if a statistical majority of the people that have played the game think it is good, then--and this is what I said before, so pay attention--there must be something about it that they think is good and find enjoyable. That is not a judgement on if the game is good or bad, simply stating that most people that have tried the game would disagree with your opinion.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Raven Prime
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

If you actually paid attention to what I was saying, I never did say that because lots of people like it, it must be good. All I said was lots of people think it is good. And I said that if the majority of people who have played it think it is good, then there must be something about it that they enjoyed.
Yes, it's a box of infinite legos. Do lots of people enjoy legos? Yes. Does that make them good or bad? How is that at all relevant? If the people that enjoy them think it is good, then it is good for them. If the people that don't enjoy them think that it is bad, then it is bad for them.
REGARDLESS OF YOUR OPINION OF THE GAME, lots of people think Minecraft is good. I personally think the game is good--as a tool to do other fun things, or even just to mess around in on a rainy day with nothing else to do, perhaps, but fun nonetheless.
And if a statistical majority of the people that have played the game think it is good, then--and this is what I said before, so pay attention--there must be something about it that they think is good and find enjoyable. That is not a judgement on if the game is good or bad, simply stating that most people that have tried the game would disagree with your opinion.
I did read what you said.
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

*shrugs* Well, whatever. You're entitled to your opinion on a game that sold millions before it was even out of alpha because it obviously has something that is fun and pleasant.
You said that it sold millions because it has something that's fun and pleasant. So unless you're trying to say that having something fun and pleasant is not the same thing as being a good game (which is a significant stretch for you to try to backpedal), you quite definitely said that it was good. Your evidence then all relied on "Lots of people think it's good".

Well, guess what? Lots of people can be wrong.

We can also further extrapolate that since you sustained an argument for over two pages simply repeating "lots of people like it, so nyeah nyeah", you clearly think that your argument proves his wrong (i.e. since he says it's bad, you think you're proving it's good). If you legitimately believed "Everyone is entitled to their opinion so it doesn't matter", you wouldn't have argued for so long to defend your own opinion, because you, by your own logic, cannot possibly prove him wrong because it's his opinion and everyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

And yes, you are arguing against him, because you say:
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Using the same "article" as your argument repeatedly when I have used several, and can continue to use more just shows how weak your argument really is.

Clearly you're arguing. Or think you are. Really all you're doing is spouting the same argument that's not only fallacious but has had no evidence provided of anything (I mean, really, you keep spouting "statistical majority, statistical majorityyyyyyyyyyy" but haven't provided numbers at all).

Objectively speaking, the game isn't good or fun. It just provides you an environment to make your own fun. It provides you with no goals or structure, therefore it cannot provide you with fun. And no amount of "Lots of people"s will make that incorrect.
Raven Prime
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Raven Prime
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

You said that it sold millions because it has something that's fun and pleasant. So unless you're trying to say that having something fun and pleasant is not the same thing as being a good game (which is a significant stretch for you to try to backpedal), you quite definitely said that it was good. Your evidence then all relied on "Lots of people think it's good".

We can also further extrapolate that since you sustained an argument for over two pages simply repeating "lots of people like it, so nyeah nyeah", you clearly think that your argument proves his wrong (i.e. since he says it's bad, you think you're proving it's good). If you legitimately believed "Everyone is entitled to their opinion so it doesn't matter", you wouldn't have argued for so long to defend your own opinion, because you, by your own logic, cannot possibly prove him wrong because it's his opinion and everyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Using the same "article" as your argument repeatedly when I have used several, and can continue to use more just shows how weak your argument really is.

Clearly you're arguing. Or think you are. Really all you're doing is spouting the same argument that's not only fallacious but has had no evidence provided of anything (I mean, really, you keep spouting "statistical majority, statistical majorityyyyyyyyyyy" but haven't provided numbers at all).

Objectively speaking, the game isn't good or fun. It just provides you an environment to make your own fun. It provides you with no goals or structure, therefore it cannot provide you with fun. And no amount of "Lots of people"s will make that incorrect.

And with that, I'm done with you. You clearly have no concept of there being a difference between stating statistics and citing sources versus stating opinion.
Saying something like "millions of people supported the holocaust" or "lots of people thought slavery was a great idea" does not equal a judgement on my part in either case.
Yes, I was debating with him, but not over whether the game was good or not. I was debating with his stance against the use of statistics to show a point. I wasn't trying to prove that he was wrong to think the game was bad, I was trying to prove that he was wrong for saying that something being true nine times out of ten is false because that one time it wasn't true.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Raven Prime
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp
Raven Prime
Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

Dirk Dagger--Space Pimp

And with that, I'm done with you. You clearly have no concept of there being a difference between stating statistics and citing sources versus stating opinion.
Saying something like "millions of people supported the holocaust" or "lots of people thought slavery was a great idea" does not equal a judgement on my part in either case.
Yes, I was debating with him, but not over whether the game was good or not. I was debating with his stance against the use of statistics to show a point. I wasn't trying to prove that he was wrong to think the game was bad, I was trying to prove that he was wrong for saying that something being true nine times out of ten is false because that one time it wasn't true.
Actually, I'm clearly the one that does know the difference between stating statistics and stating an opinion.

He stated that the game was bad. You retorted by bringing up that millions of people bought it in alpha because it was fun and pleasant.

You will convince absolutely nobody here that you were not trying to disprove his statement about the game being bad by citing "millions of people" as your argument.

There's also a difference between "using statistics" and "citing a lot of opinions". You should look up that difference. It might prevent you from having to repeat this when someone dislikes something you like.

You're only "done with me" because you can't possibly come up with an actual argument to disprove me, because you don't have millions of people stating their opinion that I wear too much red to be reliable or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff