Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Gekko

7,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Lately there have been so many games coming out or have been announced that are all open world. Sometimes I'm okay with open world if they can make a fun sandbox environment with things to do but lately it all just feels the same. I don't know maybe I'm just stuck in the past.
i don't know why but open world games have been making me sleepy these days.

Shy Conversationalist

7,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
There are dozens of games coming out every month, and open world games are just a very small portion of them. If it feels like they make up a bigger chunk, then that probably means that you're focusing a lot on them. Maybe they have bigger, flashier advertisements that are grabbing your attention. Maybe people are talking about them more on forums. If you want it to seem like there aren't so many of them out there, then the solution is simple... pay attention to the other games. Because, I guarantee you, there are plenty of other games to pay attention to. ninja

Though, to answer the topic question, no, I'm not really tired of them. If playing the same *kind* of game a lot was enough to make it boring for me, then, after 20+ years of constant gaming, I'd have gotten bored of the whole medium by now. Most games have more in common than they have different from each other, that's just how it is. sweatdrop

Fashionable Lunatic

open world is okay if there's s**t to do (mostly people to kill tbh) and you can replay missions without doing the whole thing again. so in conclusion ******** you tomb raider for being such a great game with such a dumbass setup
I always underestimate how much I can enjoy a more linear game. Looking at my Steam account, 90% of the the games I have installed are, to some degree, open world (Rust, Kenshi, EVE, Just Cause 2...). I think the last game I beat that was NOT fully open world was Bioshock Infinite and Metro: Last Light before that and I loved the s**t out of those games.
Why is open world a bad thing? If the world is appealing, then why would I want to wander around corridors?

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
As far as I am concerned with open world games, having a bigger space doesn't do the game justice if the gameplay itself doesn't hold up let alone work compatibly with the open world structure.

Personally, I feel that the best open world games are ones that utilize the freedom to non-linear problem solving such as "how do I go from point A to point B through these obstacles" or "what is the best route that maximizes benefits and minimizes casualties". Plus, from a creative stand point, the world and characters have to be fascinating enough to make us want to explore the open world for something other than collections and fetch quests.

Also, when I think of open worlds, I think of a place that offers a variety of differently designed environments that interconnect with one another into a large, unified map. That's my ideal take, anyway. Otherwise, a flat, empty landscape alone is going to bore the hell out of me.

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
Nope.

However, I am tired of games going from Open World experiences to becoming linear. (Here's looking at you Ride to Hell) You could have been so good if your developers didn't waste 8 years making you into the mess you are today. Beside's that, I don't even think Open World games are the majority of what comes out today. It's either "linear' experiences and any type of shooters. Granted, the latter can be interesting and fun as well but Open World is just a breath of fresh air if you can get into it.

Dangerous Businessman

7,675 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
there literally hasnt been many open world games released at all. Infact, they are quite far and few in between. Alot of games claim to have open world but are quite structured and linear if you do play it. Open world games are very infrequent.

Gambino Businessman

12,450 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The only two open worlds games that has came recently is Infamous second son and South Park Stick of Truth. Other then that its been a mix bag of other genres.

Aged Poster

5,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
I love open world games!

Amazingly Loved's Husband

I like open world games. I like linear games. I don't think all games should be open world, but I am definitely not tired of them, either.

I also don't mind a linear narrative that I can tackle in the order of my choosing. I love the way Dark Souls was a linear narrative, what was there, anyway, but you didn't really have to tackle it in a specific order.

I find linear games more enjoyable if they give this semblance of freedom.

Bryagh's Significant Otter

Virtuous Man-Lover

Honestly I just think a lot of games this last generation were kind of boring in general. Open world felt like it was getting stale, but then I played a few really popular linear games and... they were just as bland.

Not every game this generation... but quite a few.

Married Vampire

11,550 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I think I have played some open world games before and I must say I really don't mind them at all. Its always nice to be able to roam around and see what you can find since there is always so much to see and explore. I have never found many games that actually allow you to do that but the ones that I have found I actually enjoyed quite a bit.

Dangerous Hunter

Cyberpunk 2077 will be quite a breath of fresh air if it delivers.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff